PDA

View Full Version : Translation

Faith
09-10-2002, 03:28 PM
Hi everyone.

Can someone please translate the words Torrent and Chantelle into Sandarin and/or Quenya? I would attempt this myself, but at the moment I have no internet at home and not enough time while at work.

Thanks

Faith

Elfarmari
09-12-2002, 02:13 AM
I don't know a whole lot of Quenya or Sindarin, but I do not think there are equivalents for those words.

LúthienTinúviel
09-17-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Faith
Hi everyone.

Can someone please translate the words Torrent and Chantelle into Sandarin and/or Quenya? I would attempt this myself, but at the moment I have no internet at home and not enough time while at work.

Thanks

Faith

There is no direct translation for "torrent" or "chantelle" in Quenya or Sindarin, but I looked up some synonyms.

Torrent:

flood - Q. celumë(to do with tides), ulundë, lúto
flowing - Q. úlëa - in the sense of flooding or pouring.

And as for Chantelle...I could not find a meaning. If I had a meaning, I might be able to translate it.

Faith
09-19-2002, 07:41 AM
Hi

Thanks for your time.

Chantelle means singer, which when translated (as close as I can get) into Quenya is Lindar, or singers. In Sindarin it is linna (sing) or linno (to sing).

Anyway, that's all I've had time to find so far. If you could let me know if I am on the right track it will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Faith

LúthienTinúviel
09-19-2002, 08:21 AM
Lindar certainly does work, though if you're using this in a fanfic, I'd watch out because that will get confused with the branch of Telerin elves called the Lindar.

Q. nyello means singer as well. That might be a better choice.

Elenaelin
09-26-2002, 01:24 AM
I belive that "lindir" is a name-form (is that a real term- it is now) of lindar (the singers). At any rate, it's some guy from Imladris's name, and it sounds pretty close to lindar....

Cian
09-26-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Faith Hi ... Chantelle means singer, which when translated (as close as I can get) into Quenya is Lindar, or singers. In Sindarin it is linna (sing) or linno (to sing).

Hullo :) Using Sindarin linn (since this also means 'song'), one could use Lindir 'song-man', Lindis 'song-woman' ~ for "minstrel-names".