PDA

View Full Version : National Geographic Behind the Scenes Look

Nenya Evenstar
11-12-2002, 05:58 AM
I have a question for those of you who have seen the "National Geographic DVD, Beyond the Movie: The Lord of the Rings". Is it worth my time to buy it? Or does it simply repeat what is already said in the featurettes on the FOTR DVD? I would like to buy it only if it does not repeat what has already been said. Thanks for the info! :)

Talimon
11-12-2002, 06:35 AM
I own it, though in retrospect I've only watched it once :). So I don't know if it's particularly worth shelling out $15-20 on... if, as I suspect, this is in the context of whether to buy the EE DVD gift set or not, personally I would not.

In short, it basically discusses Tolkiens life, and makes a very big deal of how certain events in his life influenced LotR. It is informative, and a nice visual account, but as for info I learned more reading through a Tolkien biography in the bookstore :). Nonetheless, it is well made. It is particularly neat how they cut between Tolkiens life and scenes in PJ's movie. I suppose, if you knew little-to-nothing about Tolkien or his book/life, it would be informative. I take it you know a tad about each, and so I don't think it's worth the purchase. Deffinitely worth a watch, but being a documentry you won't watch it twice. It's not worth the extra $20-30 that the gift-set costs, unless you really want the packaging and the bookends.

Nenya Evenstar
11-12-2002, 06:42 AM
You guessed my thoughts exactly - I was wondering whether or not to buy the gift set.

Thanks for the info! Yes, I do know a thing or two about Tolkien, but probably not as much as I should. However, I could read a biography for a lot cheaper, and besides, I'm broke. :D I am just seeing what my fellow TTFers think about it, so that I can either justify or un-justify the temptation to go into the pit. ;)

Talimon
11-12-2002, 06:53 AM
Fight the temptation!!!

Ignores the fact that he himself owns the theatrical version as well ;)

Nenya Evenstar
11-12-2002, 07:05 AM
Ignores the fact that he himself owns the theatrical version as well

*Ignores the exact same fact and looks longingly at the Argonath Pillars and NG video* :D