PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Legolas

ms Greenleaf
02-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Before you read this thread please keep in mind that i want NO LEGOLAS LOVER SPAM if i see any I will ask you to delete it. thank-you.

With that out of the way I would like to ask what happened to Legolas after the Lord of the Rings. Where did he go and what did he do. Later once I find out what happened to him;) we may look at its importance )if any(

Anamatar IV
02-01-2003, 04:46 PM
But when King Elessar gave up his life Legolas followed at last the desire of his heart and sailed over Sea.

From Appendix A Return of the King.

ms Greenleaf
02-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Well that was fast... I will have to re-read that...I knew that he eventually went to the sea but I do not know the inbetween parts...if there are any important parts...you ccan just tell me what section it is in.

Lasgalen
02-01-2003, 05:18 PM
He took Gimli with him when he sailed.

-Lasgalen

Maeglin
02-01-2003, 05:21 PM
Well as for the importance, the main significance of it was that the prejuidice was broken between elves and dwarves, even in Valinor! And I think Legolas was the first Silvan Elf to go to Valinor, and Gimli was the first Dwarf.

Lasgalen
02-02-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Glorfindel1187
And I think Legolas was the first Silvan Elf to go to Valinor...

Legolas was Sindarin. Or at least half Sindarin (don't know about his mother). Thranduil, father of Legolas, was a Sindarin Elf.

-Lasgalen

Maeglin
02-02-2003, 02:19 PM
Silvan, Sindarin, they all sound the same. And it would make more sense if he was called Silvan because he lived in the woods and Silvan means woods-like, and in Latin the word Silva actually means woods or forest. But whatever, okay he was Sindarin, got it.;)

Lasgalen
02-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Glorfindel1187
And it would make more sense if he was called Silvan because he lived in the woods and Silvan means woods-like, and in Latin the word Silva actually means woods or forest.

Actually, most of the Mirkwood Elves were Silvan.

-Lasgalen

Emowyn
02-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Legolas WAS a Silvan Elf as her was the son of Thranduil, the King of Mirkwood who was Silvan. The atual quote for what happened to Legolas is thus:

1541 In this year, on March 1st came at last the pasing of King Elessar. it is said that the beds of Meriadoc and peregrin were set beside the bed of the great king. Then Legolas built a grey ship in Ithilien, and sailed down Anduin and so over the Sea; and with him, it is said, went Gimli the Dwarf. And when that ship passed an end was come in Middle-Earth of the Fellowship of the Ring.

(I have to say, I atually cried when I read this at the end of the book. Sorry I'm a wimp)

Lasgalen
02-03-2003, 07:48 PM
Most of the Mirkwood Elves were Silvan just like most of the Lorien Elves were Silvan. That does not make Galadriel Silvan just because she is their leader (she is Noldo). The same with Thranduil. He leads the Silvan Elves of Mirkwood but is himself Sindarin. Therefore, Legolas is also Sindarin. In Unfinished Tales it tells about Thranduil being Sindarin.

-Lasgalen

Emowyn
02-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Ah yes, but Legolas refures to him being of Silvan kin. Thranduil was Half Silvan half Sindar (Grey- Elf) Legolas is mostly Silvan although yes he does have some Sindar. ok why am I arguing? lol pretty silly really. I mean does it matter which of the two he really was? cause it's not really part of this thread is it? This was what HAPPENED to him lol, I'm afraid we've spun alittle off course!
:rolleyes:

Maeglin
02-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Well to say the final word on that, having a half-sindarin father and a fully silvan mother, he was 1 quarter or 25% silvan.;)

Emowyn
02-04-2003, 09:01 PM
Well that answred that :D

Carantalath
02-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Between the end of the War of the Ring and the time when Legolas left Middle Earth, he established a realm in Ithilien, where he ruled for a while. (That wasn't mentioned so I thought I would add it).

gilgalad
02-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Here's what it says in David Day's Tolkien illustrated encyclopedia:

"Legolas- Elven price of the Woodland Realm. Legolas (whose name meant "green leaf") was son of Thranduil, the Sindar Elf king of the Woodland Realm of Northern Mirkwood. In 3019 of the 3rd age of the sun, Legolas became a member of The Fellowship of the Ring. His keen elf eyes,his woodland skills and his deadly bow all proved of great value to the fellowship in their many adventures. After the death of Boromir and the breaking of the fellowship, legolas went on with Gimli the dwarf and Aragorn to fight at the battle of Hornburg. The three rode on through the passes of the dead to take the Corsair shipsat Pelargir, then sail on into the battle of Pelennor Fields. In the aftermath of the war, Legolas started a colony of Woodland Elves in Ithilien. After the death of Aragorn in the year 120 of the fourth age, Legolas, along with his friend, Gimli the dwarf, sailed to the Undying Lands."

Valawen
02-19-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by gilgalad
Legolas- Elven price of the Woodland Realm. Legolas (whose name meant "green leaf") [...]

So Legolas Greenleaf could be translated into "Greenleaf Greenleaf?" :D

Scatha
02-19-2003, 12:30 PM
I do believe that the addition 'greenleaf' to Legolas' name, was more intended as a translation, rather then a last name.

Ataralas
02-20-2003, 12:31 AM
this is completly off the topic but what's the name of that book and the title(I want to own it now)

Valawen
02-20-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Lord Caelin
I do believe that the addition 'greenleaf' to Legolas' name, was more intended as a translation, rather then a last name.

Thanks. I thought it rather odd.

Scatha
02-20-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Ataralas
this is completly off the topic but what's the name of that book and the title(I want to own it now)

Well, as gilgalad pointed out:

David Day's Tolkien illustrated encyclopedia:

I hope that suffices?

Ataralas
02-21-2003, 10:16 PM
yes it does, thank you very much

Glorfindels Gal
02-26-2003, 07:29 PM
Sorry, but its been a while since i read the appendix to LOTR. Did Legolas and Gimli do all the stuff they said they would do in Gondor? Like gardens and new walls and stuff. i know they did go to Fangorn and the caves but I was wondering what they did after that. I don't know whether I just made up what they did, or whether it did actually say :confused: