Thread: Sindarin or Quenya?

Sindarin or Quenya?

I have some Elvish phrases that I found on a great website (MANY Elvish Phrases ), but I am not sure if this website is in Quenya or Sindarin. There are SO MANY phrases on this site; almost anything you want to say in Elvish is found here.

Here is a list of some of the words on this site and if possible, i would like someone to tell me which language it is.

Mae govannen-Well met
    Namaarie-Farewell
    Elen sila lumenn omentilmo-A star shall shine on the hour of our meeting
    Naugrim-Dwarf
    Rhun-East

I know someone knows, Any help?
    Aurë entuluva!

Unless I'm very much mistaken (I don't know that much about Elvish languages), Mae govannen, Rhun and Naugrim are Sindarin, and the other two are Quenya.
    'But this I will say to you, Celegorn the fell, by the sight that is given me in this hour, that neither thou nor any son of Fëanor shall regain the Silmarils ever unto world's end. And this that we now seek shall come indeed, but never to your hands. Nay, your oath shall devour you, and deliver into other keeping the bride-price of Lúthien.'

That link is to a site for 'roleplaying Elven' (some call it 'Grelvish').

It's not recommended. Any direct lifts from JRRT aside, the site will basically only confuse folks interested in Tolkien's invented languages.

Of incidental note, 'omentilmo' is a mistake (though it appears in some editions). Early editions have omentielmo while revised editions will have omentielvo (we really don't need to go into that I guess, just pointing out for now that 'omentilmo' was not intended in any edition).

Also Naugrim S. 'Stunted folk'

Cheers!

¤

This is part of the omentielmo (and etc) tale, lifted from Ardalambion:

[Mr] Plotz, founder of the Tolkien Society of America and recipient of the Plotz Letter, made a mistake of his own which resulted in a garbled reading in certain American editions of LotR. Here is his confession, as quoted in the 1978 study Introduction to Elvish (editor Jim Allan), p. 20:

The original version was Elen síla lúmenn' omentielmo, which means, literally, 'A star shines on the hour of our (my, his, her, NOT your) meeting.' Tolkien, on reflection, changed this to omentielvo, 'of our (my, your, possibly his, her) meeting.' This was [,] of course, a proper change, and this is how it appeared in the earliest printings of the Ballantine edition. I, however, saw it as an obvious error, and prevailed upon Ballantine to CORRECT it! The "correction" introduced another error, since [the resulting reading] omentilmo, as far as I know, means nothing at all. Now they won't change it back, because it's too expensive. But omentielvo is correct. Sorry to have messed everyone up."

¤