Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thousands of Dwarves vs one Balrog ?

Thousands of Dwarves vs one Balrog ?

If I understand correctly the whole of the Dwarf population fled from Khazad-dm because of one Balrog. Surely they would have been able to kill it ? Dwarves might not be as powerful as High Elves but surely a few hundred Dwarves must have been able to kill one silly Balrog if Elves could slay them all the time in the wars of Beleriand ?

They didn't have the heart. Remember Gimli's reaction at the Bridge of Khazd-dm, when he let his axe fall to the ground. The Balrog apparently had a "super-Nazgl" effect of provoking great fear in all except Maia and people like Boromir and Aragorn (remember that Boromir also faced the Nazgl at Osgiliath).
    The greatest thing you will ever learn, is just to love, and be loved in return - Nat King Cole (I don't know the composer !?)

My theory on the matter is that Balrogs could not be killed by conventional means; how could they, because they are composed of nothing but fire and shadow??
    Therefore I hold that in order to slay a Valarauko the opponent must be able to interexist between and in both the Seen and Unseen worlds, in order to even be abl to harm the Balrog. And as the only beings to ever kill a Balrog were either very powerful Elves or Maiar, I find this theory to be pretty applicable.
    beyond cherry brumes, is the bell at Asakusa or Ueno that booms?

The dwaves could have rigged the place so that the next time the balrog was on one of it's walks around Moria, the place would have caved in causing it to be trapped once again in the deep.

But, the cowards did not do so.
    The hardest thing about writing, is knowing what to write. - Syd Field

Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups.

The dwaves could have rigged the place so that the next time the balrog was on one of it's walks around Moria, the place would have caved in causing it to be trapped once again in the deep
    Remember, firstly, as Lantarion constantly reminds us, that the Balrog is not a physical being, and making something collapse under it's feet requires some kind of magic, as Gandalf displayed at the Bridge of Khazad-Dum. And secondly, I personally believe that the Balrog was never trapped where it was before Durin delved too deep, and it was there out of it's own choice. This is because that the surviving Balrogs 'fled and hid themselves in caverns inaccessible at the roots of the earth'. The Balrog chose not to leave, for it was fearful that the Valar were still out to get it, and knew not of the fate of Arda Marred. It was only when it saw that it's only challenge were stout little men, that it realised that it could go up and whomp some Dwarven butt. Still, the Balrog did not leave Moria, save to ascend to Zirakzigil, as it was fearful of the outside world.
    "I Will Take Part In Your Damned Fate"
    Ash Burzum Durbatuluk
    Proud Member and Journeyman Tolkienologist Of The Guild Of Tolkienology

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth
    Remember, firstly, as Lantarion constantly reminds us, that the Balrog is not a physical being,
    How is the Balrog not a physical being? It requires an actual body to interact with the physical world.

and making something collapse under it's feet requires some kind of magic, as Gandalf displayed at the Bridge of Khazad-Dum.
    There was no 'magic' involved in the demise of Gothmog and Glorfindel's Balrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lantarion
    Therefore I hold that in order to slay a Valarauko the opponent must be able to interexist between and in both the Seen and Unseen worlds, in order to even be abl to harm the Balrog. And as the only beings to ever kill a Balrog were either very powerful Elves or Maiar, I find this theory to be pretty applicable.
    A plausible theory, Lant, but I still prefer my own belief that the Balrogs and the Dwarves just couldn't whip up enough courage to face a terror such as the Balrog surely was. Among the Children of Ilvatar, I think there were only a handful of those who had the heart to do what Glorfindel and Ecthelion did.

I agree with itrynluin that the dwarves couldnt defeat the balrog because they did not have the courage. When ecthelion defeated Gothmog didnt he kill him with his helmet driving it into his chest? I might be wrong about that but the fact is Balrogs must be physical creatures to be able to be killed. If the dwarves did not fear it so much then they might of been able to rally together and cut it down with their axes.

You must remember that their 'idol' (second only to Mahal), Durin III was killed by the Balrog. Durin III, being Durin the Deathless reborn would have held very high regard with all the Dwarves, and to see him killed by the Balrog (perhaps in a 1 on 1 battle with it) would have crushed their hearts.

The fire wouldn't have deterred them since Dwarves have high tolerance for pain, but probably the psychological effects of Durin's death would have made them cower in fear.

Remember in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears: when King Azaghal was slain in the battle against Glaurung, the Dwarves of Belegost gave up the attack, and went into mourning instantly.
    "I'm not a guru or a sage. I'm a storyteller. The only times I get disturbed is when I find people who seem to be taking this too seriously." ~ James Oliver Rigney, Jr.; aka Robert Jordan (1948-2007)

It was Durin VI, not III.

The Dwarves may have fought on for a few years after his death.
    Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form-Vladimir Nabokov

Do not read as children do to enjoy themselves, or, as the ambitious do to educate themselves. No, read to live. -Gustave Flaubert

We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us.-Marcel Proust

How is the Balrog not a physical being? It requires an actual body to interact with the physical world
    I meant, as Lantarion said, it exists between the seen and unseen worlds, much similar to the Army of The Dead.
    There was no 'magic' involved in the demise of Gothmog and Glorfindel's Balrog
    Once again, I referred only to the fact that if the Balrog is not a physical being as such, then making something collapse under it's feet would've been very hard. This 'magic' only applied to the case of the Moria Balrog, and not to the cases of Gothmog or Glorfindel's Balrog, and I do not dispute the fact that no magic as such was used to dispatch them.
    "I Will Take Part In Your Damned Fate"
    Ash Burzum Durbatuluk
    Proud Member and Journeyman Tolkienologist Of The Guild Of Tolkienology

and I do not dispute the fact that no magic as such was used to dispatch them.
    Then how do you explain an Elf, if he supposedly uses no inherent 'magic' or Art, or Skill, who exists completely in the Seen world being able to kill a being whose only tangible form in the Seen is ethereal?
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrynluin
    How is the Balrog not a physical being? It requires an actual body to interact with the physical world
    Yes you're right of course, and Valaraukar are physical beings, but only to an extent. To what extent if fire physical? It is not physical in the same sense that concrete or wood or linen cloth is physical, and yet it is viewable and tangible, ie.. it exists in the Seen. That is what the Balrog is, if we are to believe the traits assigned to the demons by Tolkien, that they were 'demons of fire and shadow'. There is no mention of any other matter, organic or othewise, as far as I recall.

Now it would appear that there would be a hitch in this theory because of the Bridge of Khazad-dm scene; how can something which is composed of shadow and fire 'fall' at all? Well, there are two possibilities:
    1) The Balrog actually did have more significant a physical form than just that of fire and shadow, a form which had a trait of mass and weight, or
    2) Gandalf's Ainuric/Istaric (haha) 'magic' caused the Balrog's form to plummet.
    I admit that option 1 seems the more plausible, at least to me; but that is not to say that balrogs were any easier to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lantarion
    My theory on the matter is that Balrogs could not be killed by conventional means; how could they, because they are composed of nothing but fire and shadow??

I dont think that only powerfull beings could kill balrog. You needed a weapon that was able to do it. Not a normal steel sword could have harm balrog, but "magic" weapons could. They could be in both worlds at the same time. Well, of course you needed to be powerfull to be able to face balrog and resist balrogs magic or evil aura.

Why dwarfs could not do it? If balrog was able to kill their best fighters, mayby they lost their corage. Also, balrog was not stupid, it could find a nice spot to protect it from attack of dwarfs, like only couple dwarfs per time attack, no missile weapons, etc. Balrog did not eat, not sleep, just wait and do harm when needed.

you must remember that in the fifth battle, it were the dwarfs who withstood the forces of morgoth the longest, they fought draons, and where not afraid, while elves and men fled to their homes.
    Dwarves even wounded glaurung! they did save the day. I think that dwarves, in their thousends could have slaid the balrog. If indeed it did not kill durin.

last of all the eastern forces to stand firm were the dwarves of belegost, and thus they won renown. For the Naugrim withstood fire more hardily then either elves or men, and it was their costum moreover to wear great masks in battle hidious to look upon; and those stood them in good stead against the dragons. And but for them Glaurung and his brood would have withered all that was left of the noldor. But the Naugrim made a circle about him when he assailed them, and even his mighty armour was not full proof against the blows of their great axes.
    this world is just a computer program, and in 10 minutes there's a global power failure.....

Bombadillo, you give compelling evidense for a position I also hold, that dragons are more easily to be wounded and killed than Balrogs. But what proof or indication do you have that the Dwarves could have done anything at all about the Balrog? If my theory is taken to be true (for the sake of argument), then I'd say that the Dwarves could have done nothing to harm the Balrog at all. They did not possess the skill of travel between the Seen and Unseen (evidently), and as far as I am aware they were not capable of producing 'magical' weaponry. They were, undoubtedly, the most skilled metalsmiths of all time, surpassing even the Noldor in many ways, and they were of course capable of creating the most finely crafted and high-quality weaponry imaginable. But high quality is not enough to kill an ethereal being with!

Don't forget about Telchar, the greatest dwarven smith who wrought Narsil, Angrist and the dragon helm of Dor-lomin, all of which can be said to be 'magical'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast