Thread: Lord of the Rings: the TV series

Lord of the Rings: the TV series

First, I apologise if the title of this thread misled you: there is no Lord of the Rings television series in the offing, as far as I know.

However, given the omissions and distortions that necessarily or unnecessarily (depending on your point of view) but inevitably have accompanied motion picture adaptations of the Lord of the Rings, do you think that a TV mini-series or even an extended weekly series would be more suitable for future adaptations?

If so, how long should it run, and how would it be structured?
    "Hitler got the fascists sexually aroused. Flags, nations, armies, banks get a lot of people aroused."
    --Deleuze and Guattari

"Have you been touched by His Noodly Appendage?"

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Project Evil

Five Public Opinions

Re: Lord of the Rings: the TV series

I think it's a great idea! As far as how it'll be devided, I'd say make it a weekly show, one hour long, perhaps covering half a chapter per show. This will allow the show to run for about 160 shows between the hobbit and LotR. That would give for about four seasons, and if all goes well, they could keep it up and do the Sil, the the unfinished tales, and the book of lost tales 1 and 2, and beyond. Who knows? One of my career options is directing, and I would definately do this type of thing id I do go into directing and if it's still not been done when I get there. One could easily get the funds to do at least the hobbit. By the time some one did this, me or another director, PJ's LotrR would be a thing of the past, and people like Elijah Wood would bee long gone! *grin* Pretty boy. *groan* EEK! Anyway, so now I'm inspired..oh boy, here I go.
    "The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and must therefore be treated with great caution." - JK Rowling
    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso

FIND ME ON Facebook
    !

A further question: animated or live action?
    "Hitler got the fascists sexually aroused. Flags, nations, armies, banks get a lot of people aroused."
    --Deleuze and Guattari

"Have you been touched by His Noodly Appendage?"

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Project Evil

Five Public Opinions

Indeed, I had thought of this.

With live action:
    *It would seem more real.
    *More adults would watch it
    *Help, any other reasons guys?

With Animated:
    *less of a comparison to PJ
    *less comittment on actor's parts
    *cheaper (no sets, props, extras, etc)

There's pros and cons both ways...help me elaborate the list Mr. Vandelay!
    "The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and must therefore be treated with great caution." - JK Rowling
    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso

FIND ME ON Facebook
    !

I'd LOVE a TV sereis...although I do believe there was a Finnish one a while back (I'm not sure).

As for style: animated. That's all i can say. (I Love animation)

agreed. It's also easier to find the 'right' voice without having to worry about having it look hot and sexy. I think that was half of PJs problems right there!! He,he!!

Now what kind of animation? Would it be down to earth cartoon, like Peanuts, like the japanise films, or a the type of drawing that acctaully attempts to look realish? What direction would the animators go?

FIND ME ON Facebook
    !

I think such a TV show could be much more faithful to the book.

I do love the films, largely, yet I'd also like to see something that was truer to the book - and I think that would work better as a TV show, one hour a week, rather than a film. The way PJ did it was more appropriate to the cinematic format (IMO)