Thread: Why did Arwen have to die?

Why did Arwen have to die?

Hi, if this has already been asked, than I apologize, I'm relatively new to tolkien's works. Ok so, here's my question:

After Aragorn dies, Legolas builds a ship and sails to the grey havens with Gimli. Arwen seems to imply that the only reason why she can't sail to the west is because Celeborn and the others have already gone and there are no more ships to take her there. Couldn't she have waited a while and sailed together with Legolas and Gimli?

Re: Why did Arwen have to die?

Quote Originally Posted by alphamale
    Hi, if this has already been asked, than I apologize, I'm relatively new to tolkien's works. Ok so, here's my question:

After Aragorn dies, Legolas builds a ship and sails to the grey havens with Gimli. Arwen seems to imply that the only reason why she can't sail to the west is because Celeborn and the others have already gone and there are no more ships to take her there. Couldn't she have waited a while and sailed together with Legolas and Gimli?
    She had "mannish" as well as elvish genes. She had the choice either to live with Aragorn and give up her elvish immortality or sail over Sea and be immortal. She chose to stay with Aragorn, knowing full well what awaited her.

Barley
    • Legolas: "The deeds of Men will outlast us, Gimli."
    "And yet come to naught in the end but might-have-beens, I guess," said the Dwarf. —RotK: Bk. 3, Ch. 9
    • By dint of railing at idiots we run the risk of becoming idiots ourselves. —Gustave Flaubert
    • Arguing with a fool is like wrestling a pig in the mud. Eventually you realize the pig is enjoying it.—Gay N. Drehr
    • With the truth, one cannot live. To be able to live, one needs illusions. —Otto Rank
    • The final belief is to believe in a fiction which you know to be a fiction...It is the belief and not the god that counts. —Wallace Stevens
    • It's all about how well you treat yourself and others. —Barley

I don't have my texts near to hand to quote from, but the Half-Elven were allowed to choose either mortality or immortality once. After making their choice they were 'stuck' with it. The children of Elrond enjoyed the immortality of their father (regardless of their choice) until he left Middle-Earth. The only ship that could have born Arwen to Valinor was the one her father was on, and her presence there would indicate her choice to be an Elf.

Arwen chose mortality and marriage to Aragorn, thus she no longer had any Elven right or ability to reach Valinor.

on the borderline of insanity and madness

Sorry, but I asked this somewhere else. I called the thread Elrond's Selfishness or something like that, and I asked that question. Search for it, and you'll find your answer.
    Actually, I'm kind enough to provide a link: http://www.thetolkienforum.com/showthread.php?t=18375

Ok thanx. I was just too lazy to do a search lol. I just thought that maybe Arwen could "cheat a little", and sail to the west on Legolas' ship.

on the borderline of insanity and madness

No problem. It didn't take too long.