Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Anyone Else Worried?

Is Anyone Else Worried?

So with the coming out of the Hobbit movies, is anyone worried how actually seeing the book acted out for the first time will affect how we picture the events of the story in our minds? There's a particular way I like to envision everything that happens in the book, and I'm a little worried that that will be ruined. But of course I can't not see the movies!
    The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.

Re: Is Anyone Else Worried?

You're not alone! I'll try not to be negative. I really wish we got a new team to take a new and more true-to-the-book adaptation
    "Heed no nightly noises ... fear no great willow" -Tom Bombadillo

I understand. I have to work hard to not have the movie scenes in my head while I'm reading TLOR.
    Actually, I don't have too much trouble with the settings or how the characters looked in the movie. I have more of a problem with how they acted.
    'Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. Lewis Carroll

We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

For all PJ's inevitably controversial decisions that will spark fan rage for years after the release of the Hobbit films, I'm glad there will be visual/style consistency across the Hobbit/LotR films. If someone else had been in charge of the Hobbit, there is little chance that they would have been able to get all the same actors, Weta Workshop, artists, etc that worked on LotR, with the end result of a much less satisfying saga IMHO.
    How's my driving? To make a report, click here.

Not worried at all.

The books are the books and the movies are, uh, PJ.

Honestly, for all my PJ bashing, if I weren't a HUGE Middle-earth fan, I'd think the movies are among the best stuff to come out of Hollywood in recent years.

Then again, if I didn't like Middle-earth, I might not say that either.

...And, I loathe modern Hollywood & it's lack of originality too.
    'Taste and see that the Lord is good'

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Honestly, for all my PJ bashing, if I weren't a HUGE Middle-earth fan, I'd think the movies are among the best stuff to come out of Hollywood in recent years.

[...]

...And, I loathe modern Hollywood & it's lack of originality too.
    I agree with you there Bucky - I get so upset watching the movies only because I know what the real story is and what they could have been

I've used this term before: hollywood-washed. That's how I see the Lord of the Rings movies. One great example is Arwen's first appearance in the movie. I can't come close to enjoying them because of it. The scenery and costumes are great, yes. The writing is a tragedy. But still, in contrast to Troll's opinion I do wish there was a new team covering the aesthetics department of The Hobbit. I need something refreshing to renew my hope!

I find that no matter how great they make the movies, they will always come up short. That is how great the books really are. Like trying to touch the sky.

I'm an artist and I always envision fantasy animated. I guess that's a little strange, but true. I may be a little influenced by viewing the Rankin-Bass/ Bashki productions when I was young.

I'm not worried. It's not like it's not like if PJ makes major changes that Tolkien's book will change/be ruined. I don't need a movie to be able to visualize this story in my head when I'm reading. When I read, I really become one with the book and forget about my surroundings, hope that doesn't sound weird. I just get so totally engrossed in the book that I'm reading that hours could go buy and I won't notice until someone snaps me out of my funk. So if PJ wants to make this movie with a few extra changes like did with LOTR, let him, I'll still be loving/holding Tolkien's books to the highest esteem.
    “Mortals. I envy you. You think you can change things. Stop the universe. Undo what was done long before you came along. You are such beautiful creatures.”
    -Macon Ravenwood

Sparkleponies of Nardor
    Erestor Arcamen's anagram name is ORNATE SCREAMER

I think I'm like Prince of Cats on this One. I understand that everything is well made, but for some reason watching the trilogy for me is the equivalent to nails on a chalkboard. I think that its because Tolkien was such a perfectionist that I do not think he would have allowed the movies to be made in this manner. There is a reason he never finished the Silmarillion. He worked on it for decades, but he never was satisfied with it.

To me I have no qualms if a writer allows his books to be significantly changed when made into a movie. That's there call and more power to them. However, in my heart I just do not think that the writer would approve, and so it makes the changes very glaring and obvious.

However, this is a fairy tale, and we all know that stories evolve over time. I feel PJ's rendition will be a pretty to look at twist, but will not come close to the original story it is derived from by a long shot.
    'No!' said Thorin. There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!'
    The final words of Thorin Okenshield

Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK

Imagination is stronger.

If you continue to read the book after seeing the film, your original imagination should hopefully prevail over Mr Jackson's casting preferences.

With three films, the story should be covered pretty thoroughly, though I notice that, in the first film, Benedict Cumberbatch is cast only as The Necromancer, and in the second as The Necromancer/Smaug. That should tell you a bit about where they've cut the story. Interestingly, the cast list for the final film includes Ian Holm as Old Bilbo; and Sylvester McCoy (a former Doctor 'Who') as Radagast. I am all anticipation!
    ~My Art~ The Tolkien Forum on FACEBOOK *like* . Member of The Tolkien Society.

Re: Imagination is stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Eledhwen View Post
    If you continue to read the book after seeing the film, your original imagination should hopefully prevail over Mr Jackson's casting preferences.
    Interesting idea ... it actually has me thinking though to the contrary - I'm still haunted with the image of Elijah Wood and other actors from the LOTR to the point that I can scarcely remember how I originally pictured them. And for that I'm very grateful that Tom Bombadil was spared those movies' attention. I think I might avoid The Hobbit movies to keep intact my own picturing, however isolationist that may be

I've found that when I return to the books, my original imagination's image of the people and places comes back pretty readily, no matter how many times I've watched the movies.
    "From there to here and here to there, funny things are everywhere." Ted Geisel

honestly , my imagination is not hugely visual. When I read I don't see pictures in my head the way some people seem to. I absorb words and stories, but only very occasionally do I stop and think of pictures.

I'm actually kind of glad to have the actors replace some of my old Rankin Bass images, though. Gollum, for one, was really weird looking in the cartoon and I'd much rather have the version from the current films.
    Elgee! Meldomeoir-- Cat in LOVE!
    http://www.typativemamacat.com/
    That's pretty ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as Denise Richards playing a Nuclear Physicist named Christmas Jones in a Bond movie.--Shawn Spencer
    RX--Items in this post to be taken in small doses accompanied with a grain of salt.

Self-Published Author: http://www.hlburkeauthor.com/h-l-burkes-novels.html

Quote Originally Posted by HLGStrider View Post
    honestly , my imagination is not hugely visual. When I read I don't see pictures in my head the way some people seem to. I absorb words and stories, but only very occasionally do I stop and think of pictures.

I'm actually kind of glad to have the actors replace some of my old Rankin Bass images, though. Gollum, for one, was really weird looking in the cartoon and I'd much rather have the version from the current films.
    I had that same issue with the Rankin/Bass films! I liked the way they did hobbits, but their wood elves and Gollum were always so...strange.

I'm also pretty similar in the non-visual imagination whilst reading. When I stop and think about something, I can form an image in my head. But generally the words just sort of...flow out. They conjure a lot of emotions and abstract things that aren't easy to put to words or describe as an image, with the exception of landscapes or places (my Khazad-Dum was much more interesting than the movie version). Those seem to be easily described in my head, but I could never paint a picture of how I "see" a character. They just...are!

It's odd just thinking about how I think about a thing while reading, but interesting to be introspective about...
    Tu sei senza pieta, ma quanto sarà pesante il mio castigo?

I was initially thrilled. I commended PJ for three movies for three books. I admired the way he made RotK as the conclusion of a trilogy rather than just "the third movie" which he's taken flak for in the past. When I heard The Hobbit was in the works, I was stoked. When I heard it was a two-parter (for a 200-page book? well, okay...), I was nervous but comfortable. Maybe PJ would throw in the Tom Bombadil he left out in LotR. Oh, he's not? Well, Radagast is making an appearance. That's pretty cool, I guess. Legolas? Huh. Wait, now it's a three-parter?

I've crossed the realm into skeptical, but I hold hope. If only a fool's hope.
    "What I have left behind I count now no loss; needless baggage on the road it has proved. Let those that cursed my name, curse me still, and whine their way back to the cages of the Valar! Let the ships burn!" -Fëanor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast