Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How old is Gandalf?

Question How old is Gandalf?

antyone know?
    ALL 4 ONE AND ONE 4 ALL, ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL!

He is as old as Arda if not older i.e. he was born before Arda was created i think!

I'm not sure about Gandalf but there were Ainu who sang in the themes of Eru...but still I dont know about Gandalf.
    Well so long honey baby, where I'm bound I can't tell
    Good bye's too sweet a word baby, so I'll just say fare thee well

well he was the wisest of the Maia, is says in the Sil, so i guess he did/was in the song!

Originally posted by Anamatar IV
    I'm not sure about Gandalf but there were Ainu who sang in the themes of Eru...but still I dont know about Gandalf.
    wait, this is new to me, not all of the order of ainur sang in the themes of eru?

very
    "Keep your mind alert, and your heart open."

I mean Gandalf may not have been alive.
    Well so long honey baby, where I'm bound I can't tell
    Good bye's too sweet a word baby, so I'll just say fare thee well

First of all, since Gandalf is a Maiar, he has two ages kindof

Gandalf the Spirit is as old as all of Arda itself.

Gandalf the Wizard is (if he stops living once he gets to Valinor) exactly 2021 years old.

All of the Istari reached middle earth 1000 years into the third age, and since the third age lasted until 3021, when the ringbearers departed from the Gray Havens, do the math, and you get 2021 years of age.

GANDALF IS 2021 YEARS OLD.
    GANDALF'S SPIRIT IS AS OLD AS ARDA
    "In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl, under the archway that no enemy had ever yet passed, and all fled before his face."

Sydney - Between the Mountains and the Sea
    I'm pretty sure all the Ainur came into being at the same time, when Eru thought of them.
    Never have i got the impression from the Silm that any Ainur came into being at different intervals, they may have descended into Arda at different times, but their presence was still around, elsewhere.

So, what i mean is..i believe Gandalf/Olorin was apart of the music.

That would mean something...
    But Gandalf isnt an Ainu. He's a Maiar.
    This question depends on "wich Gandalf" your talking about.
    If you want to know how old the Physical form of Gandalf is, hes 2021. The spirit of Gandalf is as old as Arda.

But the spirit of Gandalf doesnt have a name, so his spirit cant be called Gandalf. He was given the name Gandalf by the inhabatants of Middle-Earth, so since there was no Gandalf before his spirit came to middleearth in the form of a man...

GANDALF IS 2021 YEARS OLD
    "In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl, under the archway that no enemy had ever yet passed, and all fled before his face."

Originally posted by MorgulKing

But the spirit of Gandalf doesnt have a name,

GANDALF IS 2021 YEARS OLD
    And what of Olorin, who walked in the woods of Lorien in the Day before days.

Sydney - Between the Mountains and the Sea
    MorgulKing wrote:
    But Gandalf isnt an Ainu. He's a Maiar.
    Maiar are Ainur. The Ainur consists of the Valar and Maiar.

But the spirit of Gandalf doesnt have a name
    Olorin was the Maia spirits name who later became embodied as Gandalf.

Morgulking, good job.

If I wanted the answer to this nitpicky question, I would use your figure.

That's Olórin, with the accent!

I've always had the impression that only the greatest of the Ainur (ie. the Valar) participated in the Music.. But I suppose it's possible that the Maiar also sang in it.
    And I believe that Olórin was born along with the first of the Maiar; he was a Maia of Manwë, wasn't he? So he is actually older than Arda, IMHO.
    beyond cherry brumes, is the bell at Asakusa or Ueno that booms?

FIrst of all, im sorry, but being the Loremaster i am, ive never herd of Olorion, im sure he existss though

And no, Maiar are NOT Ainur. Valar, and Ainur are the same, unless my memory is mistaken...

But thats not the point, we can discuss what Ainur, and Valar and MAiar are another time.

The point is, Gandalf was never actually Gandalf until he was given the Body of a Man. Gandalf, therefor, is 2021. Who knows about his spirit...

And this, Olorin, was probably Gandalf in physical form. Gandalf was just the name he was given by men, and was then used much more often. Gandalf IS Olorin, and... o hell i dont know.

theres like, 4 "Gandalfs" we could be guessing at the age, and Gandalf the Gray/White is simply, about 2000 years old

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast