Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Father Christmas Letters (merged)

It was in fact Ilbereth! And in his 'spidery signature', you can actually discern that they are a very archaic form of the Tengwar!
    beyond cherry brumes, is the bell at Asakusa or Ueno that booms?

Letters to Father Christmas

I was wondering if anyone else other that me has read "Letters to Father Christmas" by Tolkien? It shows an interesting insight to Tolkien as a man, and a father.

Is Tolkien santa too? ( sorry, had to say that)
    yeah, it is interesting
    Melchett : Unhappily Blackadder, the Lord High Executioner is dead.
    Blackadder : Oh woe! Murdered of course.
    Melchett : No, oddly enough no. They usually are but this one just got careless one night and signed his name on the wrong dotted line. They came for him while he slept.
    Guild of Renegades. Come, join us.pirate RPG

I enjoy the Father Christmas letters too. I hope I have a chance to reread them during the holidays.

Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
    I am enjoying a full-colour edition of Letters From Father Christmas right now (I've got kids - an excellent excuse to buy it). I love the drawings and the detail - right down to the North Pole Christmas stamps. I love the North Polar Bear, and Father Christmas' elaborate excuses for not always providing all the children ask for. Goblins have their uses!

The Guild of Tolkienologists were talking about this book recently, and many of the Guild are from Eastern Europe where the book seems to be unavailable. If anyone knows if and where an e-version is available, please let me know.
    ~My Art~ The Tolkien Forum on FACEBOOK *like* . Member of The Tolkien Society.

Ive never read the letters but my family has a copy and my brother seems to like it so I might read it too.
    Heironomous Grunchkin
    "What matters our creative endless toil, When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?"-Faust, Goethe
    "If you stare into the void long enough, the void begins to stare back" - Friedrich Nietzsche
    "Wisest is he who knows he does not know"-Socrates
    "Don't forget I'm only a small bear and I'm not very clever"-Winnie the Pooh

Yeah, the North Polar Bear is great.

Since the illustrations and the different styles of writing JRRT used for the different character's letters are so important, an e-version would be somewhat deficient, unless someone scanned the whole book and posted it as a serious of image files...
    Co-Editor of The TTF Herald
    Ex-Member of the Council of Nine
    Vice-President, Guild Of The Periaur

Christmas is coming!

Amazon have the book here in the UK, and here in the US.

I think the Letters from Father Christmas show just how in tune JRRT was with children and their fantasies. Adults, of course, are just children who got older. I really love reading this book! I never realised how many problems Father Christmas has had in trying to get everything ready on time, especially with goblin attacks, and the North Polar Bear trying to help!

Re: Letters to Father Christmas

A quote from the letter sent by Father Nicholas Christmas to the Tolkien children on December 21st 1933:
    My dears. Another Christmas! and I almost thought at one time (in November) that there would not be one this year. There would be the 25th of December, of course, but nothing from your great-great-etc. grandfather at the North Pole.

Goblins. The worst attack we have had for centuries. They have been fearfully wild and angry every since we took all their stolen toys off them last year and dosed them with green smoke. You remember the Red Gnomes promised to clear all of them out. There was not one to be found in any hole or cave by New Year's day. But I said they would crop up again - in a century or so.

They have not waited so long! They must have gathered their nasty friends from mountains all over the world, and been busy all the summer while we were at our sleepiest. This time we had very little warning....
    My favourite illustrations in the book are the Chrsitmas tree of 1934, and the portrait of FC wrapping presents in 1931.

There is a short phrase in elvish in the letter to Priscilla in 1937, written by Ilbereth, FC's secretary elf. Does anyone know what it says? It's not translated.

Copyright Infringement?

When I saw the Father Christmas HQ on "Rise of the Guardians", I recognised it immediately! The top image is from the film, the bottom one is fromTolkien's "Letters from Father Christmas". See what you think....

Re: Father Christmas Letters (merged)

The set designer must have read Tolkien. I wonder if the polar bear is there, too.
    'Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. Lewis Carroll

We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

Re: Father Christmas Letters (merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Starbrow View Post
    The set designer must have read Tolkien. I wonder if the polar bear is there, too.
    They even copied the windows glowing out of the ice underneath the house. This was FC's second home (according to Tolkien), the first having been demolished after a freak accident involving Father Christmas' hat. I now feel compelled to buy the video and see if the influences are limited to FC's HQ. This makes me realise what a hopelessly lost cause I am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12