Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Sauron a Necromancer?

Is Sauron a Necromancer?

Is Sauron a Necromacer? I was looking through the Index in the back of The Return of The King and saw 'Necromancer', right next to the word it says 'see Sauron', I never heard of Sauron bieng a Necromancer, so my question is, is Sauron really a Necromancer?
    Almost only works for horseshoes and hand grenades.

I do not know if he was a necromancer, but in the Hobbit the "Necromancer" was a evil wizard used as a excuse for Gandalf to leave Bilbo and the Dwarves for a while, and he evolved into Sauron as LotR was written

Yes he is. He is skilled in dark sorcery. He knows ways to unnaturally prolong life of mortals (the Ringwraiths, arguably the Mouth of Sauron).

yes, sauron was presumably the necromancer mentioned in the hobbit, when the wizards assault the tower in mirkwood, sauron fled and went to Mordor...
    this world is just a computer program, and in 10 minutes there's a global power failure.....

Hey Bombadillo
    Are there any other wizards that are referred to as Necromancers, anywhere in Tolkien's work?
    'But this I will say to you, Celegorn the fell, by the sight that is given me in this hour, that neither thou nor any son of Fëanor shall regain the Silmarils ever unto world's end. And this that we now seek shall come indeed, but never to your hands. Nay, your oath shall devour you, and deliver into other keeping the bride-price of Lúthien.'

Re: Is Sauron a Necromancer?

Originally posted by Ecthelion
    Is Sauron a Necromacer? I was looking through the Index in the back of The Return of The King and saw 'Necromancer', right next to the word it says 'see Sauron', I never heard of Sauron bieng a Necromancer, so my question is, is Sauron really a Necromancer?
    Tolkien doesn't really mean to use the word in its strict sense. Necromancer is a term for the evil presence in Dol Guldor not fortelling the Future by means of the Dead.
    And yes Sauron IS THE Necromancer.

A Necromancer is generally someone or something that conjurs spirits of the dead, and performs other magical things for evil use.

With that said, Sauron would be magicaly re-enabling himself since he is planning to take over middle earth again. The first reply also put it good. The white council was held when Gandalf left bilbo and the Dwarves in Mirkwood, and went to drive out the Necromancer from Dul Goldur in south Mirkwood. Tolkien then turned him into Sauron, when he was making his story bigger (LOTR). I assume, that when he was thinking of an enemy, the Necromancer came to mind, and he evolved him into Sauron, and then developed more characters such as Aragorn, the saver of man-kind, Legolas, the son of Thranduil, and Gimli, son of Gloin, all who are essential to the plot.
    "In rode the Lord of the Nazgűl. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgűl, under the archway that no enemy had ever yet passed, and all fled before his face."

no there isn't but can't I just act like i know something about lotr??
    this world is just a computer program, and in 10 minutes there's a global power failure.....

Hehe Bombadillo.
    MorgulKing, a Necromancer, as far as it's name is concerned, refers directly to the reanimating of the dead, and nothing else.
    People, please don't try to categorize Tolkien's characters as things like "a Necromancer" or "a Witch" or "a Sorcerer". Apart from being all too D&D-ish, such rigid categories do not exist in Tolkien's world. So there.
    beyond cherry brumes, is the bell at Asakusa or Ueno that booms?

Awesome, I never knew why Gandalf had to leave the hobbits behind, I especially never thought that it would be Sauron that he was going to!!!
    The Lord of the Rings.

When he was writing the Hobbit, I dont think he knew it was Sauron. I dont even think he had any idea who exactly the necromancer was. The Necromancer was kind of an excuse for Gandalf to leave Bilbo and the Dwarves.

So technicaly, he didnt go to Sauron in Dol Guldor, until he had developed his thought more... I think i put that right...
    "In rode the Lord of the Nazgűl. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgűl, under the archway that no enemy had ever yet passed, and all fled before his face."

Originally posted by Lantarion
    Hehe Bombadillo.
    MorgulKing, a Necromancer, as far as it's name is concerned, refers directly to the reanimating of the dead, and nothing else.
    People, please don't try to categorize Tolkien's characters as things like "a Necromancer" or "a Witch" or "a Sorcerer". Apart from being all too D&D-ish, such rigid categories do not exist in Tolkien's world. So there.
    One hates to enter pedant of the year award but Necromancer is one who divines the future by means of the dead, just like a geomancer is one who divines the future by means of the earth and cartomancer is one who divines the future by means of cards.
    You don't have to reanimate them, though many famous woodblocks from the 15/16 00's show this.

Couldn't agree more with your second point, though I think D&D pinched ALL their character classes from the characters in Tolkien.

any takers on who is what ?

The Necromancer of Dol Guldur...

Necromancy: The practice of supposedly communicating with the spirits of the dead in order to predict the future.
    Which of the dead would have these inherent qualities? Did Tolkien give any consideration to this? Was the 'gift of foresight' actually given to the Wise by those who were dead? We know that Mandos could certainly see the future, he predicted it many times, and he is in constant contact with the dead. Any opinions?
    "Except it be for this one voice only that I cried, standing among them, Concerning the resurrection of the dead am I judged this day by you." - Acts 24:21.

"He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail." - 1 Samuel 2:9.

I suspect that he took the word to mean "evil sorcerer" or something like that... it does have an evil sound to it. I didn't realize it had an official definition.
    Grendel

"I have come," he said. "But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!"

Also, keep in mind that he wasn't really a Necromancer after all, he was the most powerful of all the Balrogs and Morgoth's right-hand man

Of old there was Sauron the Maia, whom the Sindar in Beleriand named Gorthaur. In the beginning of Arda Melkor seduced him to his allegiance, and he became the greatest and most trusted of the servants of the Enemy, and the most perilous, for he could assume many forms, and for long if he willed he could still appear noble and beautiful, and so deceive all but the most wary.
    --The Silmarillion, pg. 285
    Last edited by Illuvatar; 12-31-2003 at 03:03 AM.
    There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Ilúvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought, and they were with him before aught else was made. And he spoke to them, propounding to them themes of music; and they sang before him, and he was glad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast