🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

a Dwarfs armory

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Thorin Oakenshield ended up carrying Orcrist, the Elvish blade the party found at the Troll's house. If it's good enough for the King Under the Mountain, I guess it would be okay for any Dwarf. Having said that, I have always imagined Dwarves with axes or maces. But that's just me.... heck! I am a mace so I'm biased.:) ;)

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Elves like spears, bows and long knives.
Orcs use long spears and scimitars (a long curved sword like the arabs.) I also imagine Orcs using poleaxes and the like.
Dwarves use short, powerful weapons consisting primarily of two-headed axes, but also use maces and short-swords.
We know of one Wizard who uses a sword.
Men use any weapon they can get their hands on but appear in M-e to like using swords like William Wallace's Claymore in Braveheart.

Hirila

2009 - life is great
Reaction score
I would say dwaves like any sort of weapon if its only short and does much damage to the enemy.
I`m thinking not only of axes and maces but also of simple clubs if it`s the only thing they can get. If they could handle a long, slender sword... I don`t know. But they don`t seem that kind of being that like slender weapons. As we all know dwarves are of a rather short and stocky build. Long swords simply don`t suit them.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hirila
I would say dwaves like any sort of weapon if its only short and does much damage to the enemy.
I`m thinking not only of axes and maces but also of simple clubs if it`s the only thing they can get. If they could handle a long, slender sword... I don`t know. But they don`t seem that kind of being that like slender weapons. As we all know dwarves are of a rather short and stocky build. Long swords simply don`t suit them.
I based my opinion of dwarves and swords on the fact that Thorin Oakenshield used Orcrist in the Battle of the Five Armies and it is buried with him... along with the Arkenstone.

Hirila

2009 - life is great
Reaction score
My feeling was, that Thorin was an exception.
I mean, he was king under the mountain later, as his fathers had been. I wouldn`t call him an ordinary dwarf.

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
You name it a Dwarf could probably wield it. (Except maybe a bow and arrow. I doubt that they have enough grace to be able to shoot an arrow worth a darn.:D )

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
"Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah!" :D LoL

I think Dwarves can use bows, but they wouldn't be very effective, as they would have to be very short. They are short, but very strong, so an axe sounds good; but not a little one-handed mallet or a pickaxe, but a huge, two-handed monster of a weapon! I think it was shameful that Gimli used a single-bladed axe that looked more Elvish than anything else, instead of a damn cool double-bladed axe.
I can't really see a Dwarf using a sword, at least not very well. I see Dwarves as short and "unlovely", to quote the Sil, but being at the same time very strong and mindful of the miltary situation around them. So they would use large and heavy weapons, that do a lot of damage but are a bit slower to wield. They might be able to shoot with a bow, as I said, but not very well. They were very crafty people, sure, and could probably make some killer (note pun) bows themselves, but they were better skilled at making things than operating them, IMHO.

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
Alright, I'm ticked off now!! What's wrong with you korhall. I am not a HE!!! And why the heck are you trying to knock me out!?! I never did a thing to you.:mad: Next time you want to knock someone out with a rock, give them some warning, otherwise I may have to come after you!

And another thing, why are you asking if there are any girls on here today? Is there a rule or something saying "No girls allowed on this thread." If there is I never saw it.

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
OHHHH!!!*Suddenly enlightened:D * If I had remembered that from Monty Python I would have realized that you were just teasing. Oh well. No hard feelings.;)

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
You name it a Dwarf could probably wield it. (Except maybe a bow and arrow. I doubt that they have enough grace to be able to shoot an arrow worth a darn. )
Its not a weapon of choice, but Thorin uses one in The Hobbit, to shoot an arrow into Bard's shield during the negotiations after Smaug's death. The dwarves use them to hunt in Mirkwood, without success. Not really up to Legolas' standard!

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I know you are female, Nimawae's Hope, but your name might seem masculine if the viewer rakcs his brain a bit: Nimawae (I think it was spelled Nimuwae) was Merlin's loved one in one of the Arthurian legends. So Nimawae's Hope might refer to Merlin, because he rescued her from many difficult situations often enough.
Hehe, just my 2 marks worth. :D

JeffF.

Reaction score
Description of Dain's Army...

...in the Hobbit shows that each of his 500 dwarf warriors carried a large two handed axe, a short sword, a small round shield, and wore a steel helm and ringed mail shirt. From the text it seems that Dwarves were known for mainly fighting underground (Bard's comment that their approach march and formation showed how little they knew of war above ground--not necessarily accurate but descriptive of their reputation). The axe is probably the 'signature weapon' of the Dwarves as the bow would be for Woodland / Lorien Elves.

Nimawae's hope

Born at a very early age
Reaction score
Oh, yeah I know who you mean. But I think her name was Nineva or something like that. At least I think that is what I read in my book of medeval legends! However, you are on the right track, that is where I adapted my name. (There is much more to the story though,*she says in a mysterious voice*):rolleyes:

Thread suggestions