A Glorfindel essay

Discussion in '"The Peoples of Middle-earth"' started by Garwen, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Garwen

Garwen Registered User

Quality Control @ Food processing
    Home Page:
    http://
    I had asked this before a long time ago, but I had forgotten the answer I had recieved, so forgive me asking again.
    In which History of M.E. is there a rather extencive essay about Glorfindel and his return to M.E. in the Second Age?
    I thought that someone here told me it was in Morgoth's Ring.
    I would be very happy with any info. pertaining to Glorfindel.
    Thanks much,
    Garwen

2. Ithrynluin

Ithrynluin seeker of solace Staff Member

It's actually in book XII, The Peoples of Middle-earth.

In this short essay we learn:

• That although we cannot be completely certain, the two Glorfindels are most probably one and the same
    • The time of his coming to Middle-earth is uncertain, either in the Second Age, or in the Third as a companion of Gandalf. Later it is said that the SA was far more likely, and that he played a great part in assisting Elrond in the wars against Sauron
    • "It is indeed probable that he had in Valinor already become a friend and follower of Ol√≥rin [Gandalf]."
    • His name "was intended to mean 'Golden-tressed'"
    • One of the reasons against the two Glorfindels being two different elves is the "repetition of so striking a name [which], though possible, would not be credible" because "no other major character in the Elvish legends ... has a name borne by another Elvish person of importance."

3. Garwen

Garwen Registered User

Quality Control @ Food processing
    Home Page:
    http://
    Thank you very much Ithrynluin for the info. I have all of the History of M.E. series except for three, 'The Peoples of M.E'. is one that I don't have. I am looking forward to purchasing this book next pay day. I don't know why but I am very interested in Glorfindel even though he has a small but great part in both the 'Silmirllion' and the 'lOTR's' I have always believed that the two Glorfindel's were the same, even though some may not.
    Anyway, thank you again for the info it was of great help.

4. Galin

Galin Registered User

There's also the following from The History of Middle-Earth Volume VI (edited a bit by me):

'Also very notable is 'Glorfindel tells of his ancestry in Gondolin.' Years later, long after the publication of The Lord of the Rings, my father gave a great deal of thought to the matter of Glorfindel (...) He came to the conclusion that Glorfindel of Gondolin, who fell to his death in combat with a Balrog after the sack of the city (II. 192-4, IV. 145), and Glorfindel of Rivendell were one and the same: he was released from Mandos and returned to Middle-earth in the Second Age.'

CJRT At Rivendell The History of The Lord of the Rings Part One, The History of Middle-Earth Volume VI

Of course, later what there was of the Glorfindel essays was published in The Peoples of Middle-Earth as noted, but here Christopher notes his father's conclusion, stated quite confidently in my opinion, and rightly so I think, considering the essays.

Galin