🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

A humble translation request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaran

Reaction score
Well in that case I am either not as smart as the rest of those in the forum, or your comments are rather difficult decipher indeed. Either of those can explain my misreading, but it looks like you so kindly ascribed yet another malicious intent to my words, so I believe that there is no need for more to be said. All further attempts at reconciliation will likely end with my being painted as a villain, since I doubt that any other result would satisfy you. I may be wrong of course, and yet I see nothing but hostility, so... Anyway, I will take my leave.

Elaran

Reaction score
I will add this little note, and without editing my comments since I want to keep them in their original form:

Due to the fact that the comments to which I replied keeps getting edited, my replies may appear to others as though I am replying to something else. That is because I was indeed replying to something else. Perhaps I should start quoting bits from those comments as well, that way people would need to adhere to the initial forms, I think.

As for the additional hostility that came with the edit (I wonder whether it will disappear after this if I don't quote it), it is clear that my first comment suggested that finding help elsewhere will likely result in issues (and it did, with that terrible translation), and I repeated this point a bit more strongly and without much clarity when I saw the result. Hence I might have sounded as though none can offer a good translation, but only if the context of my first comment is ignored. I said "elsewhere" exactly because I am aware of the fact that other experts are here, since they can (and did) offer a good translation. And I was under the impression that my comments can be read within that context, but I am evidently mistaken. This is rather what I would call strawmanning (while being accused of doing the same due to a misunderstanding, what a world...).

Elhath

Comparative linguistics drake ❖ See also Profile
Reaction score
You should do well to remember that you or (in this case, your) actions and words which seek to prelabel other people's contributions are not above criticism anywhere — and that criticism is not "hostility".

To some it might appear that you are someone who is doing everything in his power in order to avoid having to look in the mirror which has been placed before him. Let us hope that the grounds for such an interpretation will fade over time.

Last edited:

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
We're here for friendly discussion and community. Whether you agree with someone's opinions or not and if they're wrong or not, there's no need to become hostile. Constructive feedback and criticism is fine but don't let it get out of hand, this section of the forum is here to help one another, keep it fun.

As this thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere regarding the original request, it's going to be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread suggestions