🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

A 'theory' concerning Tom Bombadil

Gnashar_the_orc

Reaction score
First of all may I express my enormous dissapointment of Tom Bombadil not appearing in the film :( .
Secondly, I believe that since Tom keeps singing and rhyming all the time he quite possibly is Iluvatar's song incorporated within a single body (or Iluvatar himself?!). After all, he says to the hobbits that he was there even before Melkor had even existed on Arda. That would also explain why he is not affected by the Ring.
Any opinions?

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
First of all may I express my enormous dissapointment of Tom Bombadil not appearing in the film :(

I know exactly what you mean. I was so looking foward to seeing Tom but a certain director thought that he was not important.:confused:

To me it was the same when he decided to cut Glorfindel. :(

Ho Tom Bombadil, Ho Tom Bomdadillo

Goldberry344

Im back
Reaction score
We are you're overlords. Humorous Bombadillian wha
I MUST also say how dissapointed i was that Tom wasnt in the film. i understand why they did cut him, but they shouldnt have. :(
I think that Tom was just tom. He is a really fun character, and i think JRRT put him in A) to make his kids happy, he was originally a doll and B) because in all of the hubub about the ring, there had to be someone who was happy and unaffected by the power of the ring.

Legsofglass

Reaction score
Gnashar,

About the speculation you made about Tom being Iluvatar himself, I have something to show you.

"There is no embodiment of the One, of God, who indeed remains remote, outside the World, and only directly accessible to the Valar or Rulers."
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 181, dated 1956

This shows Tom couldn't have been Iluvatar since Iluvatar has no embodiment.

(quoted quote taken from Encyclopedia of Arda)

Last edited:

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Let's see. Does this thread belong by itself in the Movie Forum or should it be merged into the Bombadil thread in the book forum? A conundrum. I can't decide. I'll be back.

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
:D :D :D There is a thread I posted some time ago called: "My theory on Tom Bombadil". It may have some answers in there for you. It was a very 'heated' thread though!!! It should still be around but you'll have to search for it. I posted it in 'The Lord of the Rings forum'!:D :D :D

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Yes, well!

:D :D :D :D Thanks Grond! I do have a rather EXTENSIVE knowledge about the Ringwraiths, and keep you eyes peeled for two threads (that I belive) will cause some controversy! Notice that I usually do three smilies at the beginning and end of my posts, it has been somewhat of a trademark of mine, and I hope some of you keen-eyed people out there have noticed that. For future reference, I have FOUR smilies at the beginning and end of my posts, that means I am extremely happy with the compliment I was given and the person who complimented me! Thanks again Grond, I feel so happy!!!:D :D :D :D

Heruhim

Reaction score
Iremember having read somewhere that Tom is supposed to be a maia and I'm okay with that. Goldberry is the one who puzzles me... riverdaughter? never got that one straight....

Glory

Fearless Lady
Reaction score
someone told me that tom was like fagorn....like the spirit of the foredt and goldberry was like the spirit of the water in this case one river :confused:

Ordain

Reaction score
Heruhim,

I can't say Tom isn't of the Maiar, but I have reason to assume he isn't. See, when Frodo hands Tom the Ring and Tom puts it on, he doesn't vanish or have a problem giving it back. All the other Maiar we know about (who have confronted the Ring) have been overtaken by the power of the One Ring: Gandalf, Saruman, Sauron.

I think this is reason enough to believe Tom isn't a Maiar. But then again, who knows? :)

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I have posted my opinion nuuumerous times, and I think Tom is not any of the Ainur. But it is difficult to say, because none of the Maiar presented in the LotR (as a narrative) have worn the Ring, so we don't know if they turn invisible or not!

Thread suggestions