🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

About Beleg Cuthalion

childoferu

Reaction score
Why did Beleg use the sword Anglachel after the wisdom of Melian told him the sword will betray you and lead you to your doom, why oh why would he still take the sword?

camlost

the empty-handed
Reaction score
There is malice in this sword. The heart of the smith still dwells in it, and that heart was dark. It will not love the hand that it serves; neither will it abide with you long.
Melian's warning concerning Anglachel from THE CHILDREN OF HURIN

With hindsight, prophecy often becomes clear even if initially it is very vague. Melian's prophecy doesn't seem to suggest death.

childoferu

Reaction score
But, I don't remember if it was only implied or explicitly said, that there were many other great swords in the armory of King Thingol, I would just think with his elven wisdom he would rather not wield a sworld with any kind of doom laid upon it

camlost

the empty-handed
Reaction score
Well, Anglachel was a blade of great renown, but I think it would be especially attractive to an Elf (or Man) with Beleg's special set of skills, i.e. woodcraft. Because of it's dark steel I imagine he'd be able to stealthily come upon or hide from foes with blade drawn whereas most other Elven blades at the time shone with fire or glistened in the light.

Zenith

Banned
Reaction score
Well he said, "Nonetheless I will wield it while I may". Now we can only speculate on what his purpose was. We actually have very little info to go on, and since the book is mainly an informative novel rather than delving too much into the minds of the characters, it is difficult to produce an argument based on Beleg's character. The idea of stealth isn't very strong since the edges still gleamed. But Eol's craftsmanship was unparalleled, almost. Perhaps he felt he needed the best blade available. Perhaps he had some foresight that Anglachel would be the bane of Glaurung. Who knows? We have just too little to go on.

Sartr

Reaction score
Everybody ignores Melian! It's like a running joke.

Thingol ignores her when she warns him about sending Beren to his death
Beren ignores her when she says the Nauglafring is cursed
Thingol ignores her again when she suggests throwing away the gold of Glaurung
Turin ignores her when she advises him to stay in Doriath longer
Morwen ignores her and leaves Doriath after Turin

You'd think being an immortal deity with actual prophetic powers, somebody would listen to her for once.

Inziladun

Reaction score
Beleg loved Túrin, and one could say he risked that doom for the fate of his friend, whether or not he saw it as a prophesy of his own demise is irrelevant. Anglachel was a mighty sword, and if Melian warned him, it was just a glimpse of truth from the future that he could not evade, all things would come to be as she said they would either way, because Beleg was valiant; his own peril was of no consequence. An honest man's deeds are not shrouded in a veil of uncertainty, because his actions are true to a cause, whereas deception and personal gain distort reality.

Olorgando

Reaction score
Everybody ignores Melian! It's like a running joke.

Thingol ignores her when she warns him about sending Beren to his death
Beren ignores her when she says the Nauglafring is cursed
Thingol ignores her again when she suggests throwing away the gold of Glaurung
Turin ignores her when she advises him to stay in Doriath longer
Morwen ignores her and leaves Doriath after Turin

You'd think being an immortal deity with actual prophetic powers, somebody would listen to her for once.
Interesting point. JRRT had started his studies at Oxford (an had won an "exhibition" for it, a notch below a full scholarship) in the Classics, before switching to the English School with a focus on comparative philology. So he was certainly well-versed in Latin and Greek mythology.
This sound quite a bit like the fate of Cassandra or Kassandra, reputed to be a daughter of the Trojan royal couple at the time of the Trojan War described by Homer.
She had been given the gift of prophecy, but also cursed in that she would never to be believed (this involved Apollo, who does seem at least occasionally to have been a chip off the old block of that lecher Zeus; he and his twin sister Artemis were Zeus's children, but their mother was Leto, daughter of two Titans, not Hera …). 🤨

Thread suggestions