🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Aegnor and Orodreth - about marriage

Andreth

Reaction score
Even if, reading the Athrabeth, I thought that the choice of Aegnor - not to marry the woman he loved, Andreth - made sense, at least when considered more closely, there is surely the matter that Orodreth - brother or nephew to Aegnor, if you like - did indeed marry in Middle-Earth, at least according to the Peoples of Middle-Earth; he married a Sinda, in fact. To explain this, I thought that at least Orodreth may have married during the time of the secrecy of Nargothrond, when they in fact didn't expect open war: surely, at the time of the arrival of Turin, Gil-Galad must have been a still a kid, otherwise he would not have had suffered to be addressed to Cirdan with his mother, he surely would have been in Nargothrond as Finduilas, so maybe Orodreth's marriage was quite recent...
what do you think about this matter? Do you find the matter of marriage during wartime a bit ambiguous among Elves? I thought that probably Aegnor thought( knowing that he was doomed to die before his wife, most likely in battle ) he would not suffer to leave alone his wife when she would need him the most, when she was old and during a war... After all, he was said to be " a generous and noble spirit ", this would make sense to me. But, what about you?

Last edited:

Andreth

Reaction score
UP! :) I'm curious to know your opinions about this matter :)

Reaction score
Aegnor would have married an Elf, thus there would have been no "when she was old." Unless I am missing something.

There is also the difficulty that Tolkien had said he needed to lengthen the First Age, to account for the Fall of Man, and the flight of the Edain to Beleriand.

Thus, the "time of war" would not have been continuous war. Even as it stands, for nearly 500 years, the Siege of Angband remained fast.

MRB

I obviously take Middle-earth too seriously!

Thread suggestions