🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Alcohol - good or bad?

Heathertoes

Still want to punch PJ
Reaction score
Lord Sauron said:
To add on to that, Every time you countienu to drink a little more it is going to affect your body and make you become an acoholic
Has everone gone mad? What is the source of this indoctrination?
You do not become an alcoholic by drinking a little every now and again. Drinking alcohol is not a form of suicide. Drinking a glass of red wine every day is good for you - it lengthens life.
Tolkien drank like a fish, wrote the best book of all time and lived into his seventies. Quite a good role model, I think.

G

greypilgrim

I'd like to add that one can drink like an alcoholic, yet not be dependent on alcohol. :)

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
Ever notice that the ones who are so staunchly against alcohol are usually people who have never had a drop of alcohol in their life and are surrounded by people who have never had a drink in their life. How do they honestly know what they are talking about.

Now I drink on occasion...but I know how to drink in moderation and I rarely ever get drunk...I drink intellegently and like an adult. Which is the way one should enjoy alcoholic beverages...I never drink something to get anything out of it...I drink it to savor its unique tastes. I'm learning to be a connosieur of fine food and liquor. ;)

When it comes to other things...ex/drug, smoking...I learn about those by experiencing them vicariously through my friends since I do not partake of those things myself. I have seen first hand what weed and acid and coccaine and ecstacy does to a person. Nothing I really want to do personally...but I am not going to dictate to those people that what they are doing is wrong...I'm not their mother and who am I to say what is is best for them. I have said my opinion to them about why I won't do the drugs with them...and I do promote educating people of the consequences of their actions...but please...I think we should leave the preaching to church...and the scolding to the parents. And that is all I have to say about that.

Lord Sauron

Dark Lord Of Mordor
Reaction score
I have drunken wine before but it was just a little and it did not do anything to me for years but there is all ways the chance that it could do something but it did not and I can see your point.

Dáin Ironfoot I

Vive la revolution!
Reaction score
Why did I not find this thread sooner?

'Every drink you have slowly destroys your liver!'

Are you serious? As someone pointed out earlier- make sure you don't have any sweets either- fat cells will slowly but surely clog your arteries until you die of heart complications. Not to mention the horrors of carbohydrates!!! :eek: ;) Surely, I jest! Seriously though, as Elbe pointed out, red wine is a healthy drink! Take a look at this article, taken from http://www.red-wine-and-health.com/, which points out an interesting 'French paradox.'
Red Wine in Moderation Can
Have a Positive Effect on Health

Health Benefits of Red Wines: One to Two Glasses a Day

Plato may have been wiser than he knew when he said, "Nothing more excellent or valuable than wine was ever granted by the Gods to man." Those of us who have come to enjoy the variety and tastes that wine have to offer can now look to red wines for greater health benefits. Recent studies show that drinking one glass of red wine every day may have certain health benefits. Research indicates that moderate red wine consumption may help protect against certain cancers and heart disease, and can have a positive effect on cholesterol levels and blood pressure.

The French Paradox

The French seem to know something about the health benefits of red wine. In a study that compared French and German red wines, the French red wines delivered a greater health benefit due to their higher level of antioxidants. This may partially account for the "French paradox," where studies show that in areas of France where the diet is high in fat those who drink red wine with meals have a lower incidence of heart attack than other parts of the world. Due to vast differences in diets, the evidence is inconclusive, but experts believe that red wine contains certain compounds that help protect the heart. This has opened the door for other researchers to study the components in red wine that may be responsible for its health benefits.

Moderation is Key

The key to reaping the health benefits of red wine seems to be moderate consumption. Drinking one glass a day for women and up to two glasses a day for men may decrease the risk of heart disease, cancer and stroke. Excessive or binge drinking, however, doesn't produce the same benefits. In other words, when it comes to red wine: more is not better.

Healing Powers of Antioxidants

The compounds found in red wine that are responsible for its healing powers are antioxidants. Red wines contain several antioxidants beneficial to good health. Different antioxidants have different functions, but the key feature of all these antioxidants appears
to be one of protection and prevention of disease.
Now I have aided my grandfather in the fabrication of many wines since my youth, so I'm especially in favor of the wine-making industry. As all others have pointed out- moderation is key. If your religion is against it, then it is best for you to stay away completely from alcohol. Even getting drunk is a fun treat- every once and a while, and one must be sure to know their limit, and how far beyond their limit they can extend.

I have drunken wine before but it was just a little and it did not do anything to me for years but there is all ways the chance that it could do something but it did not and I can see your point.
Mon ami, I'm positive that the wine you drank will not have any repercussions for you in the future! :)

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Just to play devil's advocate for a while, I once had the fortune to speak to the original author of the paper that first said that red wine was good for you. Here's a rundown of the research -

First of all, one drunken evening in the summer, a group of Scottish doctors thought it would be a good wheeze to get funding to research drinking. So, they decided to measure the levels of anti-oxidants in their blood and various other things whilst they drank in their back gardens over the summer. However, being doctors, they like the finer things in life. So, they got lots of information on red wine, but not so many people wanted to drink beer, vodka or water all summer. So they didn't get as much info on these things and consequently found that red wine was excellent for the heart - big surprise!!

I should say that the findings have been validated by other studies, but I still think it's funny that the original research was so flawed jsut because a bunch of doctors wanted to drink red wine all summer!

J

jezz

well, everything used immoderately is bad 4 you. but one thing really bothers me: how many people have died of eating too much candy in comparison to those who have died because of liver sicknesses caused by too much consumption of alcohol??? way less! my great-grandpa died because he was an alcoholic!

Heathertoes

Still want to punch PJ
Reaction score
I find it odd that a country that is so fanatical in its opposition to alcohol and tobacco has such respect for guns - they can have a negative effect on health as well apparently.

G

greypilgrim

"If I had a million dollars, I'd buy a damn brewery and turn the planet into alcoholics." -eminem

Dáin Ironfoot I

Vive la revolution!
Reaction score
jezz said:
well, everything used immoderately is bad 4 you. but one thing really bothers me: how many people have died of eating too much candy in comparison to those who have died because of liver sicknesses caused by too much consumption of alcohol??? way less! my great-grandpa died because he was an alcoholic!
I guess you can ask all the people who die every year of heart attacks, disease, and diabetes. I think I heard those things are the number one killers of Americans...

Heathertoes

Still want to punch PJ
Reaction score
Enough of this nonsense. I will shortly be heading to the Archway Tavern, off the Holloway Road. Please feel free to join me - I'll be the one wearing a grey hat and slowly dying of alcohol poisoning.

Lord Sauron

Dark Lord Of Mordor
Reaction score
Well I can't help that i don't can't spell that great I miss letters on the keyboard alot of people do

Lord Sauron

Dark Lord Of Mordor
Reaction score
plus to add on to that it is not christian like to critize people on what the can't do that great

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
OK, FOLKS....THAT'S ENOUGH!

I am going to make a rule and please follow it.

No preaching or silly bickering on this thread.

please understand that there are people of different backgrounds and they have a right to share a different opinions than you have...please respect that.

Thank you.

We're adults people...let's act like it.

Dáin Ironfoot I

Vive la revolution!
Reaction score
Elbereth said:
OK, FOLKS....THAT'S ENOUGH!

I am going to make a rule and please follow it.

No preaching or silly bickering on this thread.

please understand that there are people of different backgrounds and they have a right to share a different opinions than you have...please respect that.

Thank you.

We're adults people...let's act like it.
I'm sorry. I love you Elbereth! *toasts to Elbereth's beauty*

Thread suggestions