🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Alcohol - good or bad?

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lantarion
Right I think we can end this drinking party here, what do you think? Because most of this page just yells "Sidetrack!!", and this is what the previous thread started to look like before it was deleted. Savvy? ;)
What do you mean?
We are staying on topic (regarding Alcohol), and I don't think this resembles spam in any way...

"drinking party"???
This isn't an RP thread...:rolleyes:
As Wonks said, we are discussing how alcohol effects people like our age.
Just a few posts back, we were even discussing alcohol in different cultures.

It annoys me how Mods can police legitimate threads like this, yet leave others which are far worse...

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
Don't worry about it Lanty....I'm keeping a close eye on my guild...even if it may not seem like I am. *Big Sister is watching*

If I think that it is coming close to spam...I will tell them to stop... And if you don't believe me...ask my members...they will tell you just how strict I am in here. :mad: :p ;)

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Look, what I mean is that I don't want to see people discussing their alcohol consumption on a public thread, whether it is in the GoP or not. The thread was originally about whether alcohol is good or bad, why or why not etc.; so in that sense, Aulë, you have gone off-topic; and I don't appreciate the insinuative criticism regarding moderation on the forum either.
This is just what I think, but I'm not going to anything about it if Elbereth thinks it's ok (I have high faith in her perception of trouble :)). By all means, please continue.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
OK lets all take a hint and change the subject. Although, in passing Legolam, I'm pretty sure that holding your hair back is Shaun's job. Sorry.:p

Lets talk about Frodo's drunkeness instead. All that ruckus at the Prancing Pony was surely all down to his excessive alcohol consumption. Its all very well blaming the Ring for his trouble, but as far as I can see, he was just roaring drunk. And let that be a lesson to you all: if you get drunk, expect Bill Ferny to steal your ponies!

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
Lol Snaga! But seriously, what's the thrill in getting drunk? Why are folks so fond of drinking?

Wonko The Sane

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Reaction score
The Dark Tower, 'neath the growing threat in the E
Originally posted by snaga1
OK lets all take a hint and change the subject. Although, in passing Legolam, I'm pretty sure that holding your hair back is Shaun's job. Sorry.:p

Lets talk about Frodo's drunkeness instead. All that ruckus at the Prancing Pony was surely all down to his excessive alcohol consumption. Its all very well blaming the Ring for his trouble, but as far as I can see, he was just roaring drunk. And let that be a lesson to you all: if you get drunk, expect Bill Ferny to steal your ponies!

Oh my....*shakes head*

You know, come to think of it, in the movie when Pippin sings and lets his mouth run away with him, that's kind of the same thing isn't it? I mean...it's just another reason why excessive alcohol can lead to trouble.
In the book Frodo's showing off in a drunken manner* and gets in trouble with the ring, in the movie it's cos Pippin's drunk that Frodo gets into trouble with the ring.

In my opinion, Hobbits can't hold their drink. And let that be a lesson to you all. ;)

*I almost typed "drunken manor" hehe...Frodo showing off in a large intoxicated house...hehe. :) Yes. A drunken manor...hehe.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Originally posted by Beleg
Lol Snaga! But seriously, what's the thrill in getting drunk? Why are folks so fond of drinking?
I think it's because alcohol helps you get away from the stresses of the 'real world', and allows you to relax for a night. It just shows how this world is changing, where people have to escape from reality by doing it.
It also has a lot to do with image. To be drunk, is to be cool these days.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
It is definitely a form of stress release, and sometimes escapism. But I don't agree that its anything new, Aule. People have been getting drunk for a very long time.:)

Wonko The Sane

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Reaction score
The Dark Tower, 'neath the growing threat in the E
And let's remember that drinking in HUGE excess is NOT cool.
But occasionally going out with your friends and getting sloshed is...

I guess we shouldn't send the message that angering one's liver is a good thing to do...But at the same time it's a very prevalent social function, and also can denote a certain sense of status in social hierarchies.

But actually, aside from the escapist and the stress relief, it's a way to let your hair down too...which is different from stree-relief and escapism. A lot of people have tough school, jobs, family-life, etc. and even if they don't drink to forget it, or to make themselves feel better, it's just nice to go out with your friends and live a little...

Plus...drunk people are funny. :D

(Sometimes...)

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
It's a very social thing to go out for a couple of drinks with some friends of an evening. The alcohol helps you relax and enjoy the night. Also, it's very difficult to go out and NOT drink, as everyone around you has a few less inhibitions, allowing them to enjoy the night more, and you feel very left out. So my alcohol consumption certainly has something to do with my peers, but it's mostly about being able to go out and have a good time with my friends after a long hard week of work (or, if the week's particularly bad, during a long, hard week of work!)

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Absolutely true, if you can go out with friends who are able to control the amount of alcohol they drink, it's a very pleasant way to have some fun.

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Originally posted by Legolam
It's a very social thing to go out for a couple of drinks with some friends of an evening. The alcohol helps you relax and enjoy the night.
Yep...and the alcohol helps you improve your vomitting skills...:rolleyes: :D :p

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Not always. It's generally a bad night if that happens and the person in question learns a valuable lesson about restraint. Despite the evidence on this thread (and what Owly will try and tell you!), I rarely have more than two or three drinks if I go out, just enough to have fun.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Not always. It's generally a bad night if that happens and the person in question learns a valuable lesson about restraint. Despite the evidence on this thread (and what Owly will try and tell you!), I rarely have more than two or three drinks if I go out, just enough to have fun.
Lies! All lies!
;)
And just last week you were saying how you were completely wasted just before you caught your plane back to Scottyland. :p
And E-miles shall be delivering a full report back to be about how many litres of alcohol you consume in a day. :D

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
OK, I occasionally have a "big" night out but, I can assure you, these are few and hopefully very far between. For example, this weekend is my parents' 25th wedding anniversary and we're having a big ceilidh, so I expect I'll be drinking a fair amount. But I don't expect to get out of hand as I have learnt (through many hard lessons) how to drink responsibly

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Here's a question - when is an alcohol problem a problem? What's your definition of when it is time to stop or cut down?

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
I guess that is when you need alcohol to get through the day. Sort of like a nicotine addiction; if you just have to get drunk.

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
So not when you're drinking 40+ units a week and killing your liver, but aren't addicted? And what about if you drink under the recommended dose (21 units/ week for men, 14 for women) but you drink it all on a Friday night? And what about if you do something stupid most nights you drink a lot?

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
So not when you're drinking 40+ units a week and killing your liver, but aren't addicted? And what about if you drink under the recommended dose (21 units/ week for men, 14 for women) but you drink it all on a Friday night? And what about if you do something stupid most nights you drink a lot?
I hardly think it's possible to drink 40+ units without being or at least becoming addicted. But that's just a guess.
And the things you describe are IMHO alcoholics in the making. If you drink that much, you're definetely destroying your short-term memory and your liver. And possibly developing a alcohol habit that isn't easy to quit with.

I don't know about the stupid things. I know people very well capable of doing enormously stupid things while perfectly sober.:D

Thread suggestions