🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

allegory

legolas23

Reaction score
After reading the Lord Of the Rings series I wondered if it was symbolic of anything. While Ive read that it wasn't I've also seen theories that it represented WW2 and I was wondering if anyone kne for real?

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
I think it's possible to read anything into the Lord of the Rings - as for it being an allegory of WWII, that is something Tolkien himself always denied... However as it was written, for the most part, during WWII, I suppose he could not help but be influenced by it...

legolas23

Reaction score
Yeah I guess thats true- I think there must have been some influence- actually i asked this because I went to the holocaust museum 2 weeks ago and some documents there listed all the groups being persecuted and one group was called haftlings- i didnt know what people that word represented in reality but i thought maybe thats where halfling came from- what relation do they havE? and then when i started looking if the book was symbolic of the war

Rangerdave

He's Back!
Reaction score
Ever so slightly out of sync with reality
Haftling

Just to make things a bit clearer, a Haftling is a survivor of the German concentration camps. Most, but not all bear the tatoo serial number that marked their condition.

So, anyone could have been a haftling be he/she Jew, Gypsy, Pole or any of the other peoples persecuted under the nazi regime.

Hope this make your trip make a little more sense. This kind of thing helps to remind me that real evil is not found in Literature.

RD

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
All very fascinating guys, and, as usual, I must give my opinion. Some believe LotR to be an allegory between the battle of good and evil. The Lord of the Rings is what many claim to be pure evil against pure good. I like this concept, however, Tolkien himself never agreed with it.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Perhaps not 'pure' evil and good, but certainly some form of both against eachother! That is where the fascination of the LotR partly lies.
And although one can find allegorical or metaphorical elements in the LotR in bunches, and can argue about them until they are blue in the face, Tolkien himself stated pretty much that the LotR is nothing but a story: it has basis in real life, obviously (eg. modern Men being descendants of Númenóreans etc.), but if there are symbols of such in the story they are accidental.

Dûndorer

Reaction score
every one keeps talking about WWII, but wouldnt WWI the war JRRT served in would have the most effects on his writing?¿?¿?¿?¿?

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Yes Pontifex, there are so many allegorical and metaphorical elements you could argue against or for in LotR but to really no avail. Tolkien was a brilliant writer in that sense.

Thread suggestions