🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

An interesting ending for LotR...

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Hey,
I was thinking about this, and I though of another ending for the book:

[P}The four hobbits, home once again in the Shire after the Ring is destroyed and Sauron's reign is ended, decide to go for a walk in the woods. They are walking along, talking companionably, and suddenly, they hear the sound of hoofs clopping on the hard dirt road. Old fears come back, and the hobbits dive into the underbrush. Up the road comes a rider, fully clad in a black cloak, face hidden, riding a black horse. The rider sniffs the air, and walks his horse up beside to where Frodo is hiding behind a rock. The hobbits are too frightened to move. Suddenly, the rider looks up, and goes off galloping down the road, long black cloak streaming behind him. The hobbits get up, and look around. "No way!" Frodo shouted, "That can't be! We destroyed them!" The other hobbits were very frightened, and didn't know what to think. They kept walking, going down the road in the dusk. The adventure was over, or was it just beginning? [/P]

What do you think? That would have been freaky if Tolkien had ended it that way.

Tao

Shôgun
Reaction score
Not to be a critic, but...

It would be a good ending, however that leaves it open for a sequel, and what if Tolkien didn't write one? The controversy over the internet, and just normal, would be all over the place. Also, if this concluded the LotR series, wouldn't you want to read more? It would frustrate me to not be ableto find out the true ending of LotR. This is just my opinion. It's a pretty cool ending, though.

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Yes, that is true. But the adventure would never have to end! :D

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
Well. . .The original Princess Bride (The book) apparently did end in a very similar way. But apparently there is also a sequel to that which I have never seen in print. . .but that might just be a rumor.

I think the ending would annoy me, frankly. It's like when Bond has knocked the villian down stairs for the third time and he gets up and sneaks up on him one last time and is always back for the sequel. "No I did not die in that plane crash because. . ."

33Peregrin

hmmm
Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to stand that ending! It would have me throw the book across the room and possibly burn it later. I cannot stand books without reall endings. I just think 'I read all of that- for nothing?????'

Anyways..... is there a sequel to The Princess Bride???? I have heard of it..... but it's nowhere, and it always makes me wonder.

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
What was it Galadriel said about fighting the long defeat?

The returning Dark Lord is a constant throughout the Silmarillion stories; even after the chaining of Melkor we get his lieutenant Sauron! However, the publishing of The Hobbit changed everything. In that book, the great mythology just peeped menacingly over the horizon; but the sequel brought the Silmarillion and the Hobbits together; and through it the end of the tale of the magical world, because the Elven Powers also left with Frodo.

Tolkien began a sequel to LotR set in the fourth age; but without the magic his heart wasn't into it - it would just be another tale of derring-do and there were too many of those already.

chipset

Lord of Moria
Reaction score
Well, imho, such an ending would render any previous understanding of the facts useless. Tolkien put so much effort in making every single detail of the book be in tune with all the rest, and after reading such an ending the only possible reaction would be something to the extent of "But wait... they WERE destroyed, it says so right here...".

If he had ended the book that way it would have made a lot of his work useless and it would have robbed the book of its charm. The Lord of the Rings isn't a book that wins readers by twisting events and making sassy endings, it's about a whole different thing.

(if this were not a Tolkien book, the ending would have been pretty cool, supposing there was a sequel?)

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
It is without a doubt interesting to tinker around with various parts of the story, but unfortunately the effect, for me, is not as marvellous and wonderful as in the original plot. And the re-emergence of a black rider would leave something to be desired, and I daresay it would annoy many a reader.

I'm not all that sure I would like to see a sequel to the LOTR. Additional texts in the form of (more) appendices and essays...now that I wouldn't mind! :p

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
I fear such an ending would go a long way to reducing LOTR to just another fantasy story. As it stands LOTR is a piece of great literature and the ending is an integral part of that greatness. I believe LOTR will be one of the few books of the Twentieth Century that will still be read regularly centuries from now.

Thread suggestions