🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

ANNOUNCEMENT: Ian Mckellen would love to play Gandalf in Amazon's Middle-earth series

Yalerd

Thinker
Reaction score
Sir Ian was a fantastic Mithrandir, in a depiction of LOTR where my biggest gripe was casting. I do however feel that a clean slate would be best. If repeating actors are used, that will be distracting. IMO

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
Id rather have the show tied in to the films, so I'm all for him returning. Can't please everybody.

Just so we can have a younger emasculated self-exilic Aragorn? In a time when Male characters, good strong confident ones are in rarity?

No thanks. I'd rather have a Man who wants and knows he'll be King since birth.

Not a whiner.

But that's my .2

Take them for what it's worth.

CL

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
I had no objections to Ian McKellen as Gandalf in the movies -- other than some of the dialogue and actions he was called upon to perform -- and wouldn't have any if he were cast in the series (I hope). In fact, it could give a "grounded" feel to the new material, if it's indeed about Young Aragorn; it would provide a sense of continuity, showing the development of Gandalf's friendship with, and influence upon, the youthful Dunadan, and demonstrating why he had such trust in him in the time of the War of the Ring.

Besides, Gandalf's appearance wouldn't have changed in the relatively tiny span of time involved, making for a good contrast with rapidly aging mortals. A radically different Gandalf is what I'd find jarring -- and would likely add to the distorted picture of ME people took from the movies.

I don't know why he thinks "Gandalf" is over 7,000 years old.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions