🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Any Movie Questions?

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is to answer any questions you may have about the movie.

Here are the questions on this thread as of 12/19/01:
  • Is it true that most of Arwen's scenes in the movie are fabricated?
  • What parts of the book were cut?
  • Are incantations used in the book?
  • What parts of the movie were added?
  • Do orcs really hatch out of pods? That seems unlike the rest of the movie...
  • Q. Did Gimli really try and cut the ring with his axe in the book? If it won't melt in a hot fire, it's probably pretty strong...
  • Who is Lurtz?
  • Was there really a wizard's duel? It seemed out of context...
  • Were there any characters missing from the Council of Elrond?
  • Are there alterations to the characters' personalities?

Q. Is it true that most of Arwen's scenes in the movie are fabricated?
A. Yes. In the scene where Frodo, Merry, Pippin, Sam and Aragorn are walking along the East-West Road towards Rivendell, Arwen does not come to rescue Frodo, but Glorfindel. Glorfindel is an elf-lord, of whom the Black Riders are afraid of. Glorfindel was sent by Elrond because Elrond knew the 5 were coming to Rivendell, and they were coming without help.

Q. What parts of the book were cut?
A. Some of the parts of The Fellowship of the Ring that were cut include: Tom Bombadil, and the Barrow-wights. Tom was a merry fellow in the book, but he was not exactly needed. His character would be much to hard to portray on film because of the complexity of his personality. His wife, Goldberry was a nature-spirit. She was the daughter of the river. Tom and Goldberry lived in the Old Forest. Barrow-wights were...well, I’m not sure. But, I do know that they trapped people in the night. Frodo, Merry, Sam, and Pippin were trapped by barrow-wights, while in an area called the Barrow Downs, just after leaving Tom’s cabin. Frodo woke up after being kidnapped. He sung to Tom Bombadil, and Tom came running to the rescue. The barrow-wights were killed, and Tom brought the hobbits’ donkey’s back. Radagast, one of the Wizards (Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast, and the other two…), told Gandalf that he was needed at Orthanc by Saruman. Gandalf believed him and left right away.

Q. Are incantations used in the book?
A. No, but there are elvish sayings in the book. Nowhere is there an incantation. The part where Arwen (who really should have been Glorfindel) says an incantation to make the Bruinen River flood when the Black Riders tried to cross it is made up! Elrond has power over the Bruinen river, like this quote from the book,
’Who made the flood:?’ asked Frodo.
‘Elrond commanded it,’ answered Gandalf. ‘The river of this valley is under his power, and it will rise in anger when he has great need to bar the Ford. As soon as the captain of the Ringwraiths rode into the water the flood was released.

Last edited:

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Mike, see if you can answer my question.

Why did Peter Jackson completely ruin my favorite book in the whole wide world?? Can you answer that one???

(Not mad at you... I'm just so peeved about the changes.) By the way, this is a great thread to start. If newbies come in and see this thread, they'll know where we all stand in a hurry.

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
Q. What parts of the movie were added?
A. The character of Lurtz, the leader of Saruman's Uruk-hai orcs is a total fabrication by Jackson. Nowhere in Tolkien's writings is there such a character who plays any important part. When imprisoned in Orthanc, Gandalf speaks to a moth to get him out instead of being discovered by Gwahir the great eagle. On Mt. Caradhras, Boromir ends up handling the ring.

Q. Do orcs really hatch out of pods? That seems unlike the rest of the movie...
A. Orcs do not hatch out of pods, but reproduce just like the other races of ME. Orcs were created by Morgoth, Sauron's master, as a mockery of elves.

Q. Did Gimli really try and cut the ring with his axe in the book? If it won't melt in a hot fire, it's probably pretty strong...
A. Gimli does not try to cut the ring during the Council of Elrond or at anytime in the book. As a matter of fact, the ring lies hidden on a chain with Frodo, not in the presence of any of the Council. By keeping it hidden, Tolkien was not only showing the possessive power the ring had on the individual carrying it, but also to not tempt anyone else in desiring to possess it.

Other questions will be answered later by others.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't answer all of these as well as some people can...

Q. Who is Lurtz?
A. Lurtz is an orc that was invented by our faveorite person (with note of sarcasm) Peter Jackson to kill Boromir. The Real Boromir, in the book, has a wanting for the ring, as shown by this quote:
'I do not doubt the valor of your people. But the world is changing. The walls of Minas Tirith may be strong, but they are not strong enough. If they fail, what then? '
'We shall fall in battle valiantly. Yet there is still hope that they will not fail.'
'No hope while the Ring lasts,' said Frodo.
'Ah! The Ring! ' said Boromir, his eyes lighting. 'The Ring! Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the House of Elrond. Could I not have a sight of it again? '
Frodo looked up. His heart went suddenly cold. He caught the strange gleam in Boromir's eyes, yet his face was still kind and friendly. 'It is best that it should lie hidden,' he answered.
'As you wish. I care not,' said Boromir. 'Yet may I not even speak of it? For you seem ever to think only of its power in the hands of the Enemy: of its evil uses not of its good. The world is changing, you say. Minas Tirith will fall, if the Ring lasts. But why? Certainly, if the Ring were with the Enemy. But why, if it were with us? '
'Were you not at the Council? ' answered Frodo. `Because we cannot use it, and what is done with it turns to evil.'
Boromir got up and walked about impatiently. 'So you go on,' he cried. 'Gandalf, Elrond -- all these folk have taught you to say so. For themselves they may be right. These elves and half-elves and wizards, they would come to grief perhaps. Yet often I doubt if they are wise and not merely timid. But each to his own kind. True-hearted Men, they will not be corrupted. We of Minas Tirith have been staunch through long years of trial. We do not desire the power of wizard-lords, only strength to defend ourselves, strength in a just cause. And behold! in our need chance brings to light the -Ring of Power. It is a gift, I say; a gift to the foes of Mordor. It is mad not to use it, to use the power of the Enemy against him. The fearless, the ruthless, these alone will achieve victory. What could not a warrior do in this hour, a great leader? What could not Aragorn do? Or if he refuses, why not Boromir? The Ring would give me power of Command. How I would drive the hosts of Mordor, and all men would flock to my banner!'
'Come with me, Frodo,' he said. `You need rest before your venture. if go you must.' He laid his hand on the hobbit's shoulder in friendly fashion; but Frodo felt the hand trembling with suppressed excitement. He stepped quickly away, and eyed with alarm the tall Man, nearly twice his height and many times his match in strength.

`Why are you so unfriendly? ' said Boromir. `I am a true man, neither thief nor tracker. I need your Ring: that you know now; but I give you my word that I do not desire to keep it. Will you not at least let me make trial of my plan? Lend me the Ring! '
`No! no! ' cried Frodo. 'The Council laid it upon me to bear it.'
`It is by our own folly that the Enemy will defeat us,' cried Boromir. `How it angers me! Fool! Obstinate fool! Running wilfully to death and ruining our cause. If any mortals have claim to the Ring, it is the men of Númenor, and not Halflings. It is not yours save by unhappy chance. It might have been mine. It should be mine. Give it to me! '
The Real Boromir scared Frodo, and Frodo ran away....Boromir was later shot with arrows by orcs. Merry & Pippin were captured too...

Last edited:

Valinorean

Reaction score
Oh no! I knew PJ created Lurtz, but didn't know Lurtz kills Boromir. That is so wrong? Does this mean we don't get to see the conflict within Boromir, and his lust for the ring, and his redemption when he defends the hobbits to his death????

R

ReadWryt

Yeah, Lurtz is gonna be "Darth Maul", the disposable enemy for the first film...and he does indeed kill Boromir. It's all buggered up...

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
As far as I know, Lurts only gets to Boromir AFTER he has been tempted by the Ring and Frodo is on the run. In the the book, Boromir is pierced with numerous arrows, in the movie he and Lurtz will probably have a dramatic sword fight, and since Boromir is supposed to die defending Merry and Pippin, so he will.

About Orcs. As far as I got it, Morgoth captured elves early after their awakening and cruelly tortured them, until they were orcs. After that he let them breed on their own. Morgoth was by no means capable of creating live of his own, he could only corrupt that wich was already there.

R

ReadWryt

In the movie the Uruk Hai start life as Maggots...it's really screwed up.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Maggots? Uruk-hai ain't the same as orcs, but still. I do not like that, it would wreck my view of orcs pretty much. However I never gave it some real thought. Try imagine a female orc :eek:

¤-Elessar-¤

Telcontar II
Reaction score
okay, i saw this in a preview, everyone remember the scene of the river crossing in the book where they are saved by elven lords or spritis or something( havent read LOtR in like 2 years, forgive me!)? I could had sworn i saw here preforming that bit of magic! If this is true it is really going to piss me off. It is the only good and powerful sceen in the first book!

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Elessar,

At the Ford of Bruinen, "With a great effort Frodo sat upright and brandished his sword...By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair,... you shall have neither the Ring nor me!"

Frodo valiantly defies the Nazgul and then as they step into the water of the river, Elrond calls up the flood to drown the three Nazgul in the water already. They are washed away and at that moment, Glorfindel, in all his Elfin glory, runs out with the rest of the company carrying torches which panics the remaining Nazgul's horses so that they too jumped into the flooding river. At the crest of many of the waves was seen a white rider mounted atop a great white horse. This was an added touch of Gandalf's.

As you can see, allowing Arwen to "steal" this scene, severely injures Frodo's development as a "character of strength".

Last edited:

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Q. Was there really a wizard's duel? It seemed out of context...
A. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Radagast (can someone confirm if he was removed from the movie?) persuaded Gandalf to go see Saruman right away. The follow occurs between Gandalf and Radagast
'"Stay a moment!" [Gandalf] said. "We shall need your help, and the help of all things that will give it. Send out messages to all the beasts and birds that are your friends. Thell them to brin news of anything that bears on this matter to Saruman and Gandalf. Let messages be sent to Orthanc."
'"I will do that," he said and rode off as if the Nine were after him.'

There was news of the 9 Black Riders riding again, out of the borders of Mordor. When Gandalf went to see Saruman, Saruman tried to convince him to help him rule the age to come, the Age of Men. Here is an excerpt from the book. It is told during the Council of Elrond, by Gandalf.
'He drwq himself up then and began to declaim, as if he were making a speech long rehearsed. "The Elder Days are gone. The Middle Days are passing. The Younger Days are beginning. The time of the Elves is over, but our time is at hand: the world of Men, which we must rule. But we must have power, power to order all things as we will, for that good which only the Wise can see.
' "And listen, Gandalf, my old friend and helper! " he said, coming near and speaking now in a softer voice. "I said we, for we it may be, if you will join with me. A new Power is rising. Against it the old allies and policies will not avail us at all. There is no hope left in Elves or dying Númenor. This then is one choice before you. before us. We may join with that Power. It would be wise, Gandalf. There is hope that way. Its victory is at hand; and there will be rich reward for those that aided it. As the Power grows, its proved friends will also grow; and the Wise, such as you and I, may with patience come at last to direct its courses, to control it. We can bide our time, we can keep our thoughts in our hearts, deploring maybe evils done by the way, but approving the high and ultimate purpose: Knowledge, Rule, Order; all the things that we have so far striven in vain to accomplish, hindered rather than helped by our weak or idle friends. There need not be, there would not be, any real change in our designs, only in our means"'
' "Saruman," [Gandalf] said, "I have heard speeches of this kind before, but only in the mouths of emissaries sent from Mordor to deceive the ignorant. I cannot think that you brought me so far only to weary my ears."
Saruman then puts him on top of Orthanc, where he stayed for a while... Gwahir, the wind lord, an eagle, was out flying, and saw Gandalf. Gwahir came to the rescue,
"Then [Gandalf] spoke to him and he bore me away
From which point, Gwahir brought Gandalf to Rohan, where he begged for a horse. Rohan was basically the horse store...Anyway, Gandalf took the swiftest horse, which was named Shadowfax. Shadowfax took a day to tame, but Gandalf suceeded in breaking him in. Gandalf rode, and reached the Shire when Frodo was on the Barrow Downs (See "What parts of the book were cut?")

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Since no one seemed to have read my note in my post about Lurtz, I shall repost it seperately, so it might get attention...

Please, Please, Please, answer questions!!! I can't do them all!!!

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
I've read the previous posts, but I can't seem to find what you mean. There was said a lot about this Lurtz character, so what did we miss?

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
People aren't answering these questions or contributing...

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Okay Mike, you wanted answers and I'll try to give them to you.
Q. Were there any characters missing from the Council of Elrond?
A. One who is certainly missing is Bilbo. I looked in the trailers and saw no minor characters that appeared in the book either. I'm not sure if I remember seeing Gloin (Gimli's father), Glorfindel, Galdor of the Havens or Erestor. Ironically, it appears that there are some additions to the Council as well as the deletions. It appears that Merry and Pippin attend the Council. It is also clear that Celeborn and possibly Galadriel were at Rivendell at some time during the making of the movie and possibly it was at the Council. I am unsure.

Okay Mike B, there's my contribution.

Your friend,
Grond, the evil hammer.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
ANYONE! PLEASE ANSWER THE LAST QUESTION ON THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD!

Last edited:

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mike B
Q. Are there alterations to the characters' personalities?
A.
Okay Mike B. Since you asked, I'll answer. There are no real changes in any character's personalities unless we talk about
1) Gandalf - in the movie he's a panic ridden, clumsy oaf who doesn't appear able to find his way out of Hobbiton much less lead the Hobbits anywhere.
2) Merry and Pippin - appear to be Hobbit geeks who "blow" themselves up while being careless with fireworks. Pippin is especially geeky in tipping over a dwarf skeleton, so clumsy that he doesn't just drop the head in but then causes the whole body of the skeleton to fall.
3) Frodo - entirely too careless with the Ring and a wuss. Needs a She-elf-warrior-princess to help him cross the Fords of Bruinen.
4) Arwen - Xena's evil twin sister..... need I say more?
5)Saruman - a raving lunatic. not quite what I envisioned when reading the book.

All in all, Grond likes Strider, Boromir, Legolas and Gimli. Bilbo too seems to be well cast and played. Elrond and Celeborn are different than expected but not too far off. I, unlike most of the members of the forum, like Kate Blanchett as Galadriel and feels justice is done the character. I especially like Samwise as I have always been a big Sean Astin fan since back in the days of The Goonies and Rudy.

Well, there you have it. The final question answered by Grond, Hammer of Melkor... Mallet of Morgoth ... Silver Hammer of Maxwell..... oops thats a Lennon-McCartney work, my bad! :cool:

Last edited:

Thread suggestions