🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Aragorn's last name

I

im_lost

I have a book report due in 2 days and i really need to know aragorn's last name.:confused:

******Moderator has merged all your question threads into this single thread im_lost. Just ask your questions on this thread and some of us will monitor it and answer them for you****** Grond :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Actually I believe that he was going to take the name of Strider to be the name of his house. Aragorn states to Prince Imrahil, "...But Strider shall be the name of my house, if that be ever established. In the high tongue it will not sound so ill, and Telcontar I will be and all the heirs of my body." From The Return of the King, The Houses of Healing.

I

im_lost

thanks. ive got to have the toughest english teacher out there. she came from 11th grade to 8th. she thinks shes still teaching 11th graders.:) :D ;)

I

im_lost

help again

Now, once again and for the last time, i need to know gimli's last name if he has one.:confused:

P.S.- If you look under my name, it says junior member:D :D :D :D

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
I believe your teacher would be looking for Telcontar.

I agree with Legolas Greenleaf and I would refer to Gimli as Gimli, Son of Gloin.

By the way, I am merging all of your question threads into one. They will all be here in this one. threadid=2493 (Aragorn's last name).

***im_lost question threads merged here***

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Why were the walls unbreakable? Was it Saruman's magic, or someone else's. I can't remember if Orthanc was already built when Saruman moved there.

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
Legolam, yes Orthanc was built before Saruman lived in it. The men of Gondor had lived in it before. From TT, The road to Isengard
A strong place and wonderful was Isengard, and long it had been beautiful; and there great lords had dwelt, the wardens of Gondor upon the West, and wise men that watched the stars. But Saruman had slowly shaped it to his shifting purposes, and made it better. as he thought
Maybe there is something in HoME about its history?

Why it wasn't breakable, I don't know, but Pippin (in TT, flotsam en jetsam) speculates there is some wizardry
Many of the Ents were hurling themselves against the Orthanc-rock; but that defeated them. It is very smooth and hard. Some wizardry is in it, perhaps, older and stronger than Saruman's. Anyway they could not get a grip on it, or make a crack in it; and they were bruising and wounding themselves against it.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I seem to remember Orthanc being built by the Númenóreans in the Second Age, on one of their trips to Middle-Earth from Númenor. I don't know about the magic, though, and I can't really remember if the Kings of Númenor posessed any superhuman skills or traits, beside longer life.
But it might have been built by Ar-Pharazôn as some kind of a temple for Melkor, or Sauron, because it was black; and I have somehow gotten the impression that the Men of Westernesse weren't really into black, and tended to follow after their Elf- friends by building everything white and dazzling. But I dunno, I couldn't find any mention of it in UT.

I

im_lost

gandalf's journey in moria

what was the thing that tok gandalf down at the bridge in moria and did gandalf defeat it?

Wood Elf

Reaction score
That 'thing' was a balrog, and I won't tell you if he dies or not, you will have to keep reading..:)

TulKas Astaldo

Reaction score
The Numenoreans built it.

The key was given to the Kings of Gondor after the Fall of Numenor. It was unoccupied at this time.

It was later given to the Kings of Rohan.

Theoden gave the key of Orthanc to Saruman.

Saruman became evil.

That's about it... The walls were unbreakable because stone is stronger than wood and the walls were absolutely seamless...

Thread suggestions