🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Atlas of Middle Earth

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
The Atlas of Middle Earth be Karen Wynn Fonstad is really a remarkable book on the world J.R.R.Tolkien created. I have grown to love it much, though not as much as the trilogy. I have to recommend it to anyone who wishes to get deep into Middle Earth!

Last edited:
G

Garfield

Map of Middleearth

I´m on the lookout for a detailed map of middle earth. With every village, hill and road maked. Does the atlas provide or what... Do you get a deep understanding of the geography of Middle Earth. The maps provided with the books doesnt and ive also found them incorrect when reading the books. These are the swedish versions of the triology and i dont know if theres a diffrence between them and yhe original version... Can i buy detailed maps and if so... Where???

zingers

Reaction score
This thread has been very helpfull, that settles it for me, I'm ordering the atlas ASAP to have by my side as I read. Having a good map really enhances the story for me. It allways suprises me how lame maps that are included in books are (if there is one at all)!

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
Well, those "lame maps" in the books are Tolkien's own, and were the basis of this fine work.

I have found the Atlas to be great in writing RP and giving a realistic time/distance relationship to my RPs.

Melko Belcha

Reaction score
My only complaint to the Atlas is she put Belegost south of Nogrod like in the older stories. Belegost in just north of Mt. Dolmed.

Other than that it is a great book.

GuardianRanger

Calmindon
Reaction score
I echo the sentiments about The Atlas, as already mentioned. I could barely read a couple of pages of the Silmarillion without turning to the Atlas. I have an older Ballantine paperback edition of the Silmarillion, and it only had two or three smallish maps. If it were not for the Atlas, I would have been lost.

Thread suggestions