🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Authenticity of a Tolkien signature

Lordo77

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm looking for help regarding a 1969 book of the lord of the rings with a signature of JRR Tolkien.
What do you think about it ?
I bought it from an auction house in uk
The specificity is a roll pen blue signature
Thanks for all you can tell me
Best regards
Fred
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Lordo 77.
I'd want more details, such as purchase price, date you got it, edition and printing, condition, and probably some other things, all adding up to a conclusion on value by a rank amateur -- meaning basically worthless.

If you paid less than several hundred pounds, in the last 20 years or so, I'd guess the auction house didn’t have much confidence in the signature's authenticity.

ArwenStar

Reaction score
Don’t know much about signed books, but I’d say that there are few differences to a confirmed signature. As S-es said, it would depend on price. Here’s an already solved spot the difference (don’t know if it’s helpful but...)
E323AB82-DBCA-45FC-A4C5-8FF76A8D0033.jpeg
Of course, if it was at a book signing, he might have been in a hurry.

Ps. I saw a signed edition of TH for US $65,000

Lordo77

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Lordo 77.
I'd want more details, such as purchase price, date you got it, edition and printing, condition, and probably some other things, all adding up to a conclusion on value by a rank amateur -- meaning basically worthless.

If you paid less than several hundred pounds, in the last 20 years or so, I'd guess the auction house didn’t have much confidence in the signature's authenticity.
Hi Guys,
I'm looking for help regarding a 1969 book of the lord of the rings with a signature of JRR Tolkien.
What do you think about it ?
I bought it from an auction house in uk
The specificity is a roll pen blue signature
Thanks for all you can tell me
Best regards
Fred
View attachment 6082View attachment 6082
Hi,
Thanks for replying

To complete my first message :

The seller, is an english, certainly averagely 60 years old, fan collector of Tolkien for almost 30 years.
He already have sold books of lotr dates 54 and 55, 1st and 2nd impression, and he have many rare books and other autographed ones.
See picture IMG 1266 for another exemple of blu ink signed book (picture enclosed)
He goes on retirement next year and sell a little part of his collection.

The book was bought at auction house STRIDE and SON (but I have not the date and amount paid ..), enclosed is the invoice ( IMG 1262 )
The book is a paperback edition of 1969, 4th impression, in one volume, by ALLEN and UNWIN
Specificity is a blue ink signature, but Tolkien had already signed other books with blue ink (in 1972) cf doc enclosed

The book is proposed at £ 2900

The real question is : is it a real signed book by Tolkien, and can I trust the seller.

As a fan and collector myself I’m aware that the price is really bankable, but I need help to be sure …
Thanks a lot for help, really appreciated

Attachments

Merroe

Reaction score
It looks pretty right... but that's all really.

No date nor place nor event is there, leave alone a dedication of sorts.

If it cannot be verified then I would advise caution... the only sure thing you have here seems to be the hefty price tag.

Just my (worthless) impression...

Alcuin

Reaction score
You must determine as best you can the provenance of the book: where and from whom did the seller obtain it? And if possible, trace its origins again to any previous owner(s) to the first owner, presumably the one for whom Tolkien signed it. The current owner should be willing to help you as much as he can.

You should also consult another collector of books, and if possible, Bodleian Library at Oxford, where many of Tolkien’s works are housed: They might be willing to guide you in determining whether or not an inscribed signature is genuine. You should need not reveal to anyone the present location and identity of the seller of the volume.

There is a website that might be helpful, “How to tell if a signature is real”, that I found using a Google search.

Good luck. I hope you can determine whether or not it is real. Without professional guidance – you must assume that all of us at The Tolkien Forum are rank amateurs – you are trusting in the good will and honesty not only of this seller, but also of all the sellers who precede him; and even professionals make errors.

Thread suggestions