🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Bad guy poll

Favorite "bad" guy? If you can think of other good bad guys you would like tell me.

• Sauron

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Sarumon

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Gollum

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Wormtongue

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • The Nazgul(all of them)

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Shelob

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Melkor

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters

Nazgul_Lord

Reaction score
Who is your favorite "bad" guy, out of the ones listed? If there is another bad guy you want to vote for tell me and I'll try to get him added.

Last edited:

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Originally posted by YayGollum
Yaaaaaaay Gollum! :D Um, yeah, he's my favorite bad guy. Come on, who would actually vote for Wormtongue? That's just crazy.
YayGollum, at this point (now), Gollum has zero votes. Who did you vote for? What happened to he's my favorite bad guy? Did we forget to click the poll button??:D

Glaurung

Reaction score
Melkor's the best, because he is pure evil personified. Although I have to admit that for an "all powerful" Vala he seems to be quite a coward. That's okay though because I think that Tolkien was trying to get the message across that cowardice, and being a bully (which is really what Melkor was), is an important element of evil.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Ha! I see four votes for Gollum now! I thought I just had to say who I thought was the greatest and that counted as a vote. I don't know what's wrong with me. :rolleyes: I'll go tell everyone I know who loves Gollum to vote here and then we'll blow you evil Melkor lovers away! :D By the way, I love how Saruman is misspelled. Shows how evil he is!

SarumansTreason

Reaction score
Did we not just have this poll?!?! Saruman is NOT a bad guy. He wanted the ring. Are you saying Gandalf, Galadriel, Boromir, Aragorn, and Elrond are all bad too? For truely indeed, they all did really want the ring, in the deepest part of their heart! Who wouldn't?

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Oh, very good, you just turned everyone in the book into a bad guy. That was smart. :rolleyes: It's weird that you think Saruman wasn't evil just because he wanted the ring. He also really messed up the Shire. Not that I care about nasssty hobbitses! If you think that just wanting the ring makes you not evil then Gollum must be the nicest character! :D

Lord Melkor

Reaction score
I vote for myself, for I am the one and only Lord of Darkness, Sauron is a cheap copy!( see my sig)

JeffF.

Reaction score
Why Isn't...

...the Balrog included in the poll? an evil Maiar long in service to Morgoth and ruler of Moria, seems to qualify to me at least for the running.

SarumansTreason

Reaction score
Okay, let me restate this. Saruman did things that were caused by the ring. Basically everything evil in middle earth was the same thing. We have two evil things, Balrog and Sauron. Everything else is not evil, they just are corrupted by one or the other. Moreso the latter. Meaning, every character besides The Balrog or Sauron had good intentions.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Originally posted by SarumansTreason
Okay, let me restate this. Saruman did things that were caused by the ring. Basically everything evil in middle earth was the same thing. We have two evil things, Balrog and Sauron. Everything else is not evil, they just are corrupted by one or the other. Moreso the latter. Meaning, every character besides The Balrog or Sauron had good intentions.
Au contrare dear SarumansTreason. Gandalf, Galadriel and indeed all the wise were tempted by the Ring's power. Of the Wise, only the pitiful Saruman coveted the Ring. He became enamoured of it while researching for the White Council and his interest in the Ring and jealosy of Gandalf turned to desire and his desire caused his corruption. It wasn't a Sauron or a Balrog thing. It was choices offered and choice made. Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel... all had the Ring in their grasp and denied it. What do you think Saruman would have done if Frodo had offered it to him????? Really!!;)

Kuduk

Middle-earther
Reaction score
SarumansTreason, in support of our humble moderator, I offer this quote from The Council of Elrond uttered by its namesake:

We cannot use the Ruling Ring. That we now know too well. It belongs to Sauron and was made by him alone, and is altogether evil. Its strength, Boromir, is too great for anyone to wield at will, save only those who have already a great power of their own. But for them it holds an even deadlier peril. The very desire of it corrupts the heart. Consider Saruman. If any of the Wise should with this Ring overthrow the Lord of Mordor, using his own arts, he would then set himself on Sauron's throne, and yet another Dark Lord would appear. And that is another reason why the Ring should be destroyed: as long as it is in the world it will be a danger even to the Wise. For nothing is evil in the beginning. Even Sauron was not so.
So while you are right that Saruman is corrupted by the Ring. I would submit that according to LotR, corruption = evil, and therefore Saruman is evil, just as Sauron is evil. Good intentions at the outset mean very little if they are betrayed by subsequent actions and choices. And we all know that good intentions are known to pave a certain road to some fiery depths....

SarumansTreason

Reaction score
Lighten up people! Have a sense of sarcasm please? If I find it in my heart to have holes in my logic, thenso be it! I mean, I would like to believe Saruman wasn't evil. And in a way, he wasn't. (He introduced Aragorn into the story at Bree, whereas gandalf would have been there, making that unnessacary!) But please, have a sense for when someones being sarcastic. I do understand it is more difficult when its typed and not said. My most humble apologies.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
From RotK, Scouring of the Shire, "No, Sam! Do not kill him even now. For he has not hurt me. And in any case I do not wish him to be slain in this evil mood. He was great once, of a noble kind that we should not dare to raise our hand against. he is fallen, and his cure is beyond us; but I would still spare him, in the hope that he may find it." Saruman was, as were all things, good in the beginning. Middle-earth and its attraction are what did him in, just like Melkor and just like Sauron. But........ I liked Saruman.:)

Nazgul_Lord

Reaction score

YAY I put wormtongue because he is a bad guy, and I personally don't see why anyone would vote for a pathetic retch like Gollum.
JeffF I don't know which individual Maiar that one is so I did not list him, if that does not seem like a good reason not to list it, then I'm sorry that I have failed in my duties to this forum, and to all these other people.

Thread suggestions