🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Balrogs vs Ungoliant

Neithan

Reaction score
This is something that has always puzzled me. Why is it that the Balrogs were able to find and drive Ungoliant away when Tulkas and Orome could not even catch up with her because of the darkness and confusion that she wove about herself and Melkor? Any ideas?

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
Maybe because darkness attracts rather than repels evil creatures. Balrogs, I would imagine, thrive on darkness and confusion.

Not a researched thought. Just what popped into my head.

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
The reason that Tulkas and Orome could not see Ungoliant in Aman was because first of she had woven about her and Melkor a cloak of darkness, this was made of 'Un-light', then she drank the light of the Two Trees and emptied the vats that stored the runoff. In doing so she "belched forth black vapours". It was because of this combination of vapours and the cloak of Un-light that the Valar could not find them. However, at this time, both wished to hide from their pursuers.

At the time the Balrogs were called By Melkor, he wished most earnestly to be found and those he called were under his command. The Balrogs would not be relying on seeing where their master was but probably were led directly by the call sent out by Melkor.

Alcuin

Reaction score
At the time the Balrogs were called By Melkor, he wished most earnestly to be found and those he called were under his command. The Balrogs would not be relying on seeing where their master was but probably were led directly by the call sent out by Melkor.
There you have it, straight from the [strike]horse’s[/strike] Balrog’s mouth.

Thread suggestions