🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

battle of 5 armies

C

Curufinwe

Was he there? I havent read the story for ages so I cant remember if he was in Mirkwood or with the dwarves.

Elanor2

Reaction score
Yes, he was there. He joined the combined army of Elves and Men after his business with the White Council and was part of the delegation that went to discuss with Thorin. Bilbo met him when he went to them to deliver the Arkstone.

He participated in the battle and had his arm wounded, if I remember correctly.

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
And there stood Gandalf, with his arm in a sling. Even the wizard had not escaped without a wound; and there were few unharmed in all the host.
Form The hobbit: The Return Journey : page 270

So Yes you remembered correctly.:)

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Of course we don't actually know since Bilbo inconveniently passes out. But I can't believe that Gandalf would be there for ornithological purposes with a long gang of orcs and wolves to deal with. Gandalf has a 100% of burning up wolves whenever he sees them, so he's got to have fought.

L

Lord T

"Gandalf, too, I may say, was there, sitting on the ground as if in deep thought, preparing, I suppose, some last blast of magic before the end."

p. 284 of the Hobbit

So yes he was in the battle. :)

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
i think he came end at the endm, but im not sure. im almost positive that he wuz with the white council driving off the darkness in mirkwood:confused:

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
EverEve you're right he did go with the White Council and drive Sauron from Dol Guldur (while the dwarves and Bilbo made a mess of getting through Mirkwood, and getting to the Lonely Mountain).

A busy year for Big G I think!

Thread suggestions