🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Best & Fairest Debator - Results

Idril

"Sparkling Brilliance"
Reaction score
Ok folks - I know you've been waiting with baited breath for this :)

I've got just a couple to votes still to be sent in to me - hopefully I'll have those in the next day or two so I can give you the final results.

Thanks for your patience.

Idril

Idril

"Sparkling Brilliance"
Reaction score
Ok folks - I've got in the last of the votes.

Firstly, I apologise for the lateness of this, but tax returns; exam finals; and the urge to 'wind' Aule up :D, has held up things.

Aule wanted me to do a drawn out thingy - but have not ideas on that so I shall just announce it plain and simply.

*trumpet fanfare with a drumroll*
*Idril opens the golden envelope and withdraws the pale parchment*

The second runner up is ............................................ * a dramatic pause*
Snaga with a total of 13 points

The first runner up is .............................................. *slightly longer dramatic pause*
Gothmog with 14 points

and

The outright winner of the Best and Fairest Debator for the TTF 2003 Debate Tournament is ......................................................................... * HUGE dramatic pause*

Nom! with a runaway total of 22 points

I'd like to congratulate all the participants and that includes the organisers, debators and judges. Well done everyone!

** If anyone would like to know their scores, please PM or email me :)**

Last edited:

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Congrats to Gothmog and especially Nom. Definitely well-deserved. There were lots of very good debators but not all them were always as fair and honest as Nom. Add that to her consistent contribution... she is a worthy winner.:)

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
Congrats to all three of you. :)

Nom, i'd lie if I said this was entirely unexpected. ;)

Gothmog, well done, you certainly did your best. :)

Snaga, nice work for an orc, getting to be second runner up in debating. You can add that to your "smash and trash" trophy. ;)

Arvedui

Stargazer
Reaction score
Not much of a surprise there, really.

The only thing to do now is to congratulate on a job well done. It was a pleasure (and a nightmare) debating against Snaga and Nóm, and a pleasure to have Gothmog on the team.

Well done, all of you. I look forward to read your coming debates.:)

Attachments

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Congrats to Nóm.
If there had been bets on this, she would have been odds-on favourite. :D

And well done to Gothmog and Snaga. :)

baragund

Brother in Arms
Reaction score
Congratulations to all, but a special THREE CHEERS to Nom. :)

Her posts are a delight to read, always informative and educational.

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Congratullations to Nom,Gothmog and Snaga.
They all proved their abilities and it was a real pleasure for me to read all their posts during the whole Tournament.
Congratulations.

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Bravo guys! Hope to see you shine in the next tournament as well. Whenever that may be. :p

Confusticated

Reaction score
!!! Ivan you're back! Why haven't you PM'd me?! :p :D :D

Thanks for the congrats everyone. Thanks Idril for keeping the score.

Gothmog, Snaga... you two are in my opinion the best debators in the tournament. I do not doubt that had you two been active in 8 debates as I had (more chances to win points) you woud have tied if not beaten me in this contest. In addition to being pleasant to read, what with Snaga's wit and Gothmog's efficiency, you are both very reasonable debators who can spot contradictions and faulty reasoning like few others, and who can present a more water-tight case than most others. Gothmog I think you are the best in the tournament at presenting a case because of your reasoning. Just the thing I like to see! And Snaga presents a hell of a case too... good reasoning (any potential holes are never spotted!:D) and an outstanding writer in general. I personaly do not state anything against either one of you in a debate that I know to have a true flaw because I know for a fact you two will spot the weakness. This with your excellent use of language and thorough knowledge of the material makes for some damn good debators. I love the styles of both of you. Like the way you guys think. Truly a pleasure to read! Now I'm starting to feel very awkward about over-praising, Does this look like an attempt to flatter? It's only the releasing of excitement I feel when I think of how darn much I like your styles, glad I am that you are getting recognition, and my happiness that ithrynluin is back! :D But Arvedui & baragund (and others) are good and fun to read too... especially Arvedui versus Snaga in round 10 & and baragund arguing for Felagund against GoT! :D It's people like you guys who really spice up the tournament.

Thread suggestions