🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Best song / verse

What's your favourite verse/song

• Road goes ever on (any version)

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Verses for Aragorn

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Lay of Gil Galad

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Ents marching song

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Oliphaunt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Song at Cormallen for ringbearers

• Boromir's funeral

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Ash nazg....

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Galadriel's song about Valinor

• The song of the Ent and Entwife

• A Elbereth Gilthoniel!

• Bilbo's song about Eärendil

• I sit beside the fire, and think of all...

• Total voters

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Everyone slags off JRRT's verse and perhaps they sometimes have a point ... but which do you like?

GladrielElf1985

Reaction score
Personally none of these listed here have as much meaning to me as Bilbos song (not his walking song). It is entitled "Bilbos Song" I quote some of it in my signature. But if I had to choose one here it would be The Road Goes Ever On and On.

Greymantle

Reaction score
Oh, it's so hard to say... the verses and songs of LotR are one of my favorits aspects of the book. I love them all, really... though, from that list, I suppose I'd have to say the Lay of Gil-galad, probably because of Stephen Oliver's beautiful musical setting.

SarumansTreason

Reaction score
I voted for "The Road goes ever on....". However, what is the name of the song Aragorn tells the hobbits at Weathertop before they are attacked. I like that one too.

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
my favorite is Galadriel as Frodo departs Lorien.

years are endless as the falling leaves

Maybe thou shalt find Valimar. Maybe even thou shalt find it.

She is mourning for the doom of the Noldor which she feels still falls on her head (she can't return to the Valar), yet she knows if Frodo completes the quest undoubtedly he will be offered a trip to the West. And she mourns the loss of Elves on ME, the endless years endured by someone immortal. I think it is a neat short verse, wish I could hear it sung.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Originally posted by Greymantle
Oh, it's so hard to say... the verses and songs of LotR are one of my favorits aspects of the book. I love them all, really... though, from that list, I suppose I'd have to say the Lay of Gil-galad, probably because of Stephen Oliver's beautiful musical setting.
Is this the version used in the BBC Radio adaptation? I must be good, because probably 15 or 20 years after listening to that every week, its one of the things that stand out.

Actually I voted for the Ent song - not classically beautiful but you know Saruman pooed when he heard it!

Rian

Reaction score
Personally, I always liked the verses that Bilbo wrote to go with Aragorn.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost...."

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
The Lay of Luthein ensnard me! I think it's the best poem Tolkien penned. It's a shame it was never finished

Kementari

Lady Writer
Reaction score
I voted for Boromirs funeral song. Its perfect. I love it.

I agree Dengen the Lay of Lethian in 'The Lays of Beleriand' is really good. I tried to finnished it myself once :D

P

Pippin_2nd

Poem in the Prancing Pony

I have no idea which one to vote for, as my favourite verse in the book is the poem that Frodo recites J.R.R. Tolkiens rendition of The cat and the Fiddle!tahoma
Im affraid i cannot recite it for you now!!:rolleyes:

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
I voted for "The Road Goes Ever On." It's definately my favorite, but Aragorn's poem (all that is gold....) was a close second.

C

CPTinuviel

I voted for Aragorn's verses. I have always really liked them. They speak of hope in spite of the darkness of ME. They also sound like the old saying "you can't judge a book by its cover."
They are my favoite out of those verses listed.
I was dissapointed that the Lay of Leithian (sp?) wasn't listed. It is my absolute favorite story out of all of JRRT's writings.:)

Ragnarok

Grand Master (Funk)
Reaction score
Im the only one who voted for the most famed verse of the entire trilogy!?:confused: :eek: I love that verse, but the whole one is better, with 'Three for Elven...'. Guess thats just me

Greymantle

Reaction score
Originally posted by Variag of Khand

Is this the version used in the BBC Radio adaptation? I must be good, because probably 15 or 20 years after listening to that every week, its one of the things that stand out.
Yup, it certainly is... I loved all the music from that, from the Lay of Gil-galad to the Ents' Marching Song to the music for the Pelennor... the Caras Galadhon and Elrond themes were also great. So very English. The Tolkien Ensemble recorded The Lay of Gil-galad using the same music-- wise decision! It's perfect. Though it certainly sounds different when a professional baritone sings it, rather than Sam's actor.

Rian

Reaction score
Tar-steve,

That was a good one! I always laugh at Pippin splashing around and getting the floor wet.

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
My favorite one is Galadriel's Song.

I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew;
Of wind I sang, a wind there came and in the branches blew;

Hmm, I just finished listening to the Beeb's LOTR. Most of the songs were good, except the song that kept popping up at Eowyn and Faramir's love scene, and other parts around there. I hated it!

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rian
Personally, I always liked the verses that Bilbo wrote to go with Aragorn.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost...."
Ooh, me too! It's Bilbo's greatest work, IMHO.
I like most songs in Quenya, but I don't really like Galadriel's parting song; I've probably heard it too often.
Ai! Laurie lantar lassi surinen, i yemi unotime ve ramar aldaron.. , etc. I'm not sure that's G.'s one, but I don't like it much.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ragnarok
Im the only one who voted for the most famed verse of the entire trilogy!?:confused: :eek: I love that verse, but the whole one is better, with 'Three for Elven...'. Guess thats just me
Were it rendered in the Westron tongue, I would have voted for it. Being in the tongue of Mordor made it sound even the more evil and I couldn't vote for it. Even to this day the words sound evil and haunt me.

"Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gumbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... it makes me cold just writing it.

Thread suggestions