🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Bilbo..an only child.

Centin

Reaction score
Frodo was the nephew of Bilbo, yet in the Hobbit it states that Bilbo is an only child. Did I miss something?

Greymantle

Reaction score
Another movie screw-up.
Bilbo was not Frodo's uncle. I now quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings:
"You see: Mr. Drogo, he married poor Miss Primula Brandybuck. She was our Mr. Bilbo's first cousin on the mother's side (her mother being the youngest of the Old Took's daughters); and Mr. Drogo was his second cousin. So Mr. Frodo is his first and second cousin, once removed either way, as the saying is, if you follow me."
-Gaffer Gamgee, FotR, 31

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
I was wondering about that also because in the movie it said "Uncle Bilbo" and I was thinking "Heeeey! wait thats not his Uncle Bilbo!!!" :rolleyes: hehe

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Right Grey. And Bilbo does call Frodo "nephew" in LotR but we can look at the Baggins family tree and see the relationship.

R

Retrovertigo

He was an adopted heir, and as Greymantle quoted his first *and* second cousin.

C

Curufinwe

Yeah well how else would Frodo refer to Bilbo, he couldn't say Father or second uncle one removed, it is much easier to say Uncle.

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
oooops....i didnt catch that....GO ME!!!!!:D

Thread suggestions