🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Bored of the Rings

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
It is truly a testament to a works greatness when it is parodied and ridiculed. Any time I hear of National Lampoon or Harvard or any other institution knocking the Lord of the Rings, it encourages me that probably more people will read it simply to determine if the parody or ridicule is warranted.

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
I read it a long time ago. I thought it was more stupid than funny. (Don't get me wrong. I wasn't all indignant or anything like that. It's just that I find the comedy within the book to be weak and unoriginal.

Sacriledge is a personal concept, so I'd say: No, not at all.

I agree with Grond. For something to be parodied or incorporated into satire is nothing less that a recognition of it's great impact.

TheFool

Reaction score
Come on, you can't help but snigger at 'Dildo Bugger' or the map with 'The tiny X-shaped forest' and 'The Land of the Knee-Walking Turkeys'!

My favourite thing though is the flying sheep on the original cover

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
I like Moxie and Pepsi, though I haven't read it, just flicked through. Thought "Legolam" was even better.
I'm writing two LotRs parodies at the mo, one is a play with lots of film mickey-takes, such as Frodo gettting stabbed and falling over lots and Aragorn been a really cool, James Bond like character. The other one is a story I'm doing called Lord of the Socks. It's exactly the same, but with a sock in stead of a ring, I thought of it yesterday when I found one black sock and couldn't find the other. Felt like I wasn't complete without both socks and realised I sounded like Sauron and then invented this ridiculous idea about Isildur messing around with his washing machine and Sauron knitting the socks himself and well, when it's finished I'll put it up on the board!

R

ReadWryt

When I was in High School my buddies and I wrote a parody of LotR. It was based on the MGM musical of "The Wizard of Oz". Orcs instead of Flying Monkeys...Gimli was the Woodsman, Legolas was the Scarecrow and Aragorn was the Cowardly Lion. I wish I had a copy of it today because, although not the well crafted parody of "Bored of the Rings", it was worth a few good larfs. Especially the Legolas bit. Everyone kept thinking he was gay, and he kept telling them he was "...Elvish, not a Faerie!". Finally he came out in his song...

"I could be a Cassanova, and roll over in the clover
as a lover I'd be great...

I wouldn't have to be defiant, I'd be friends with Anita Bryant
Oh if only I was straight!"

Ah..I suppose the Anita Bryant part dates it demmit!

What really scares me is that, from time to time, I have these nightmare visions of what COULD happen in Hollywood. The scariest one was when I imagined them making a Live Action Johnny Quest staring Macaulay Culkin...*Shudder* I could see someone thinking that would have been a good idea. Next to that was waking in a cold sweat from the idea of Jim Carrey being cast as Inspector Clouseau in a remake of "The Pink Panther".

Yesterday I was idly musing away on some graphics and the thought of Mel Brooks doing a "Spaceballs" like sendup of LotR popped into my head and I had to choke back the scream of anguish...

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I found Bored of the Rings pretty amusing. As someone said, you can't help sniggering all the way through it, with Goodgulf, Twodor and Fordor! :D I think it's a great compliment to Tolkien's works!

elenya

the crazy one
Reaction score
The best part is how Minas Tirith is called Minas Troney! And the chapter Minas Troney in the Soup? Cou;dn't stop laughing. It's a noodle AND a city!!:D

Khamul

Anti-Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Originally posted by ReadWryt

Yesterday I was idly musing away on some graphics and the thought of Mel Brooks doing a "Spaceballs" like sendup of LotR popped into my head and I had to choke back the scream of anguish...
That would be........interesting. Whats wrong with Spaceballs? Its a classic..

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
I read a little bit of "Bored of the Rings" in Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago...I just couldn't stomach that book.

I normally love parodies...but this parody must have been written by a red neck hick. What is the deal with everyone getting run over by a monster-sized truck. I just don't get the humor in it.

Rangerdave

He's Back!
Reaction score
Ever so slightly out of sync with reality
Harvard Lampoon

This is about on par with the rest of their comedy.
It was pretty good for its time, but now it just seems dated.

If you liked the Vacation movies or old Firesign theater routines, you may just enjoy the Bored of the Rings.

Of course, it is important to remember that this was originally written as a joke to pass around the Literature Dept when Tolkien was considered to unimportant a writer to be included in Harvard Master classes in Modern British Literature.

this has since been amended

RD

Tarien

Patron of Oboists
Reaction score
*Silently agrees with Elbereth, as is slightly green after recently reading a single page of Bored of the Rings.*

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
I really liked the line where Goodgulf says to Dildo-

'you cannot use extermination as a method of settling your petty grievances with the townspeople'

QueenSilverleaf

Reaction score
Physically: US of A, Mentally: a void. Or maybe ch
Has anyone read it? Bored of the Rings, I mean. I can tell at least 2 people have: myself and Legolam. I'd like to know what people thought of it. Personally, I loved it! I thought it was very clever, even if it was making fun of one of my favorite books. I got the feeling that the people who wrote it had an understanding of LotR before sitting down to write Bored of the Rings. Any other thought?

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Please excuse the discontinuity of the previous post...it was merged w/ this thread....

Thread suggestions