BOTFA: An Easterner (Or Southerner) in Dale?

Discussion in 'New Line Cinema's "The Hobbit"' started by CirdanLinweilin, Jul 17, 2017.

1. CirdanLinweilin

CirdanLinweilin The Wandering Wastrel

Writer
    Hi All!

I was recently watching The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies when I noticed an asian actress as a Laketown survivor in Dale tending an injured.

My question is, how did someone from the East (or South) of Middle-earth make it all the way to Laketown and live there?

I don't mean for this post to be taken as racist or offensive, I just found it interesting to find someone not from the Westlands of Middle-earth to be in such a place.

Which leads me to this question, which would she be? Haradrim? Southron? Easterling? Too bad The Professor didn't explain all of this.

Anyway, just something I noticed. It could just be PJ wanted at least a little diversity in M-E.

CL

2. Squint-eyed Southerner

Squint-eyed Southerner Skulking near Archet

I just saw this, CL. I don't remember it from the movie -- overwhelmed by the sandworms,etc. It's a very interesting question, and I'm a bit surprised no one responded.

Whatever Tolkien might have thought about it, I think it quite likely that some refugees from the East might have made it to Laketown and the surrounding areas. And OTOH, there had been Easterling raids, and outright invasions, for centuries, and the resulting "intermarriages" (to put the best spin on it), would introduce an Eastern influence into the gene pool, which would continue to appear from time to time. Remember Warner Oland, one of the actors who played Charlie Chan, back in the 30's? I knew he was Swedish, and always assumed he was heavily made up (he played other Asian characters in movies, too). Turns out he actually wore very little makeup -- he explained that there was a Mongol strain in his family, which would show up unexpectedly from time to time.

Come to think of it, Tolkien may have mentioned the idea somewhere, if not in the Appendices, possibly in Unfinished Tales. I'll have to look.

Of course, cultural chauvinism and racial bigotry do play a part in his works, and he shows what happens when they appear. For instance in the Kin-strife, set off, or at least justified, by the fact that Eldacar is considered the "offspring of an alien and lesser race".

That's one of the reasons, BTW, why I've never really understood the charges of racism leveled at him over the years. Superficial reading, I guess.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    CirdanLinweilin likes this.
  3. CirdanLinweilin

Writer
    Thank you for responding! That is very interesting!

And yes, people love to badger the Good Professor on such a charge. It's unfair to what his vision was for the work.

CL

4. Squint-eyed Southerner

Squint-eyed Southerner Skulking near Archet

Similar to the "glorifying war" charge. Tolkien wasn't a pacifist, but certainly not a "glorifier" either:

It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much.

CirdanLinweilin likes this.
  5. CirdanLinweilin

Writer
    That too.

CL