🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Building a real Bag End ? Why not !

boyarilie

Reaction score
What a great garden! Was that a cuckoo clock I heard?!!
Thanks! :)
It's not a clock... it's a real cuckoo bird :)
I'm gonna teach you 2 things regarding this subject, 1) cuckoo means penis in Romanian (cucu) but in a friendly way, like saying little boy's pee-pee
2) there's a superstition that if you don't eat anything before hearing the cuckoo bird (like breakfast or lunch or whatever) in that day you are cursed to have your breath stink like hell :)) So you need to eat anything before going outside, you must not be cursed by hearing the cuckoo bird on an empty stomach :))
Hope it's not too much information :))

Miguel

Reaction score
I'm gonna teach you 2 things regarding this subject, 1) cuckoo means penis in Romanian (cucu) but in a friendly way, like saying little boy's pee-pee
2) there's a superstition that if you don't eat anything before hearing the cuckoo bird (like breakfast or lunch or whatever) in that day you are cursed to have your breath stink like hell :)) So you need to eat anything before going outside, you must not be cursed by hearing the cuckoo bird on an empty stomach :))
I knew a guy from back home who's nickname was "El Cucu", his brother tried to kill me lol.

Ithilethiel

Reaction score
I have only two things to say:
1. :eek:
2. :eek:

:p:p:p:p:p

Lych92

Always hungry!
Reaction score
I'm late to the party but sounds great! I'd love to have my own Hobbit hole too probable would have one when I retire :)

boyarilie

Reaction score
Working with earth is more difficult than I thought (when the weather is scre.ing me constantly).
All over Europe there are heat waves, here in Romania, we have London weather. Rain rain rain.

IMG_20190808_105251.jpg

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
An unbelievable thread. Just awesome. And while you're getting rain that's hindering you, the region in Germany where I live, northern Bavaria (and some regions to the north and north-east) are once again getting a bit parched (three weeks to the day that we last had rain). We'd gladly swap a bit of weather for a week or so.

Hoping you can continue building you dream smial soon! :)

boyarilie

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for not replying in a while, I'm done with outside decorations for the moment as I've been "investing" all of my money into making the house winter comfy. As I'm living here and during winter I expect even -30 degrees (that's Celsius). I'm gonna upload some random pics and if you're interested I can make a video tour of how my hobbit living alike life is now :)
I've covered the part of the house where I'm living with earth and also I planted grass. It's at least 25cm in height now. It looks kinda cool.
Since I'm completely out of money and there is an OVERWHELMING interest in people pressuring me in making this a tourist attraction, I may partner up with some investors. Or maybe try on my own with some crowdfunding website, I don't know at this time. For the time I'm only thinking and thinking and wait for the winter to come and go and hope during this time I will clear my head and know what to do next.
I would love to see the house finished inside out sooner than my original plans (I was hoping to see it finished before I turn 60) so making this a tourist attraction at least until I have the money to finish it inside out would not be such a bad idea :)

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpegWhatsApp Image 2019-11-12 at 17.54.02.jpegIMG_20191104_172935.jpgWhatsApp Image 2019-11-18 at 20.26.14.jpeg123321123.jpg

Last edited:

boyarilie

Reaction score
An unbelievable thread. Just awesome. And while you're getting rain that's hindering you, the region in Germany where I live, northern Bavaria (and some regions to the north and north-east) are once again getting a bit parched (three weeks to the day that we last had rain). We'd gladly swap a bit of weather for a week or so.

Hoping you can continue building you dream smial soon! :)
Thanks for the kind words!
The village is full of German people so you should feel like home here :) Come visit!

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
The village is full of German people so you should feel like home here :) Come visit!
Your reference to German people intrigued me. Of course, nowadays, this might simply mean tourists (and a discovery in Wikipedia Germany translating a German term makes that highly more likely!)
But then I know that there was a settlement of Germans, starting with the 12th century (!!!), in a region called in German “Siebenbürgen”, those settlers – probably farmers – “Siebenbürger Sachsen”, meaning Saxons (even modern Saxony is much larger that what most folks prefixing their heritage with “Anglo-“ realize – details of that complicated stuff has no place here).
My “Aha!” moment came when I read that Siebenbürgen translates into “Transylvania”. Vlad Tepes and all that Bram Stoker and Hollywood have made of him. That would explain tourists.
But then on page three of your thread, I found a link in you May 8 2018 post: "https://siebenbuergen-fotos.de/ortschaften/michelsberg". So, we’re definitely talking about Siebenbürgen / Transylvania here. And Michelsberg seems to have been a center of German settlement from the 12th century (though considering their origins left i.e. west of the Rhine River, why anyone would call them Saxons is puzzling).
So, are you referring to Germans who have a more than 700-year settlement history there? Conversation could be difficult. I mean, I have difficulty understanding well over 50% of Germans in Germany if they lapse into serious dialect!

Last edited:

boyarilie

Reaction score
Boy you do love your history :) I didn't mean German tourists when I said that.
So I don't know so much about the history of this place but I will tell you what I know.
My house is located in Cisnădioara / Michelsberg. Cisnadioara is a village. The county is Sibiu. The area is Transylvania. As far as I know the village was founded in the year 1200. Here we have some people called Sași (Sachsen) which are basically German people relocated here. I forgot why. But from what I've heard from the local people in the 1990's all the village people was German people relocated here. After the 1990's (the revolution came and we were out of communism) most of them fled back to Germany but some of them remained here. And these talk in a strange German dialect but they do understand German language and talk easily with German tourists. By the way, German tourist come here a lot! Even yesterday I was having a coffee at the central store and there was a group of 10 German people (tourists) also enjoying some coffee.
Cisnadioara is very close to city Sibiu (which has the same name as the county, Sibiu) . City Sibiu is also called Hermannstadt and it was the European capital of culture back in 2007. In this county, Sibiu, people do love Germans, they teach German language at schools and it's considered a plus to know the German language. By the way, our present president is German and he's from Sibiu :)
The church fortress you see in Cisnadioara is 800 year-old.
German influences are everywhere here. And it's nice. Romanians do love German people.

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
One of our most popular and successful musicians, Peter Maffay, hails from Romania. He was born in 1949 Braşov of German-descended parents (mother Siebenbürger Saxon, father Hungaro-German (?)). His family emigrated to Germany in 1963 (however that was possible then). He started performing in 1964, and recording in 1970, and has continued to do so since then. Originally he started in the "Schlager" genre, which seems to be a specifically German-language category with fuzzy borders. An absolute must for it is that the lyrics have to be German, and an imperfect generalisation would be inoffensive easy-listening. Maffay then progressed to Country and Rock'n'Roll, and is now considered one of Germany's most successful German-language Blues-Rock musicians. Ah, and with 19 albums reaching number one on the album charts, he is by far the most successful musician of any genre in this respect. But he has wide-ranging interests beyond music, including being the co-inventor of a popular children's fairy-tale and cartoon figure (which also features on albums of its own).
I only own one of his dozens of albums (over 80 across all genres if I counted right!), but at least I picked his most successful one (and rightly so), his 1980 "Revanche" (33 weeks at #1 in the Album charts, in which it was listed a total of 59 weeks, over 2 million copies sold to date). Some powerful rock numbers, some mid-tempo stuff, some Rock ballads - really good guitar stuff. I'd post it in the music thread, but as it's all in German, relatively few TTF members would understand the lyrics.

And Romania is associated (at least for people my age or at most a little younger, and with an interest in Olympic Summer Games and gymnastics) with Nadia Comăneci, one of the greatest female gymnasts of all time, hauling away bucketsful of medals from the 1976 and 1980 Summer Olympics (and at World, European and University championships). There was a documentary on her on German (probably public) TV recently. It must be post-2006, as her son (with her husband since 1996, former American world-class gymnast Bart Connor), mentioned in the documentary, was born that year.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions