🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

--C9--C9--Discussion thread--C9--C9--

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
C9 ---preposed---

Since the WM and the staff have ventured into suggesting the idea of a C9 (which should represent the "missing link" between membership and staff, or the "House of Commons" of this forum, I think it appropriate to discuss this idea and it's realization here as well.

This thread is intended to be the proper place:

A) to discuss the idea in general and a suitable name for this "institution",
B) to discuss the process of choosing and installing it,
C) to discuss what the duties and the rights of this institution should be (from the standpoint of the membership) and
D) to apply or to suggest people who should apply.

[color=008000]Removed a bad link[/color]

Last edited by a moderator:

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
So far, I'm not so sure on how we're going to do any of this, or even if it will be left open to the membership. For now, feel free to suggest things on this thread, but keep in mind that the entire thing is up to WM.

NOTE TO ALL USERS!: If you wish to discuss and suggest ideas for The Council of Nine, post it on this thread. If you wish to continue the dispute that I've tried to clean up, post it here

Last edited:

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
I am perfectly aware that the whole C9 project is in a hypothetical state by now, but the WM and you have already made this idea public. And, you - the staff - are a couple of days ahead in pondering such an idea, hence I feel it would be only fair if we - the members - try to catch up some - "ideawise", that is... ;)

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
First of all I would like to express my full support for this very innovative idea. I can understand how difficult the process is to ban a member from the forum, because I recently got a taste at how stressing it can be for the moderators to deal with a banned member who appeals his/her case outside of the forum walls.

As for suggestions for the C9:

I have very little at the momment, as I realize that this idea is still in its conception. However, I believe that the members of this group should not be allowed any other special privilages outside of their duties to the Council of Nine. I would also suggest that there should be possible term limits for the council members, which I hope would prevent jealousy amongst the forum members and allow the council to remain an unbiased jury of their peers.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that the members of this group should not be allowed any other special privilages outside of their duties to the Council of Nine.
WM said: "There's a difference between superiority and authority. A member of this new council would have some measure of authority over the conduct of the membership, but would not be superior to the membership in any way."

I like the idea of terms....

I'm merging these threads....

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Whoa, we've been moved to the "House of Lords...

Elbereth, I agree totally that membership in the C9 should not go together with ANY privilegues. But the fact, that the idea is still in conception should not prevent us lowly members from doing some "brainstorming" on it too.

Hirila

2009 - life is great
Reaction score
The idea of a council is really great, I think. Perhaps some of the quarrels here could be calmed down by having a democratic institution that has the power to make decisions. I like the idea of a court were we can go and defend ourselves.
But I'm wondering if it is also meant, that people could come there and complain about things? That would be of no good IMHO, because people would complain over all and everything, plastering the Council with small, unimportant cases.
This only as another piece of brainstorimng of us "lower members" Walter called us. ;)

Mithrandir

Mithers the Grand Wizard
Reaction score
As little as it matters. I fully and completely support the idea of the council. With NO privileges as everyone has made clear. I hope it does come into being.
~Mithers

My_Precious

Gollum For Emperor
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. It may not only give members "a second chance" in case they break forum rules, but actually make different members communicate more, and be more patient with another members.

R

ReadWryt

I'm completely clueless about this whole concept that members who break rules should be given "Second Chances" or even get consideration for return. The fact is that the Webmaster and I take into consideration whether an individual was cognizant of the rule they broke, so the only reason in my mind, the rule breaker having been ignorant of the rule, is taken out of the loop in the first place. To me the whole idea is like pulling a carton of spoiled milk out of the fridge, sniffing it...realizing that it's gone bad, and then sticking it back in the fridge again and closing the door. You are just dooming yourself to having to do it again later...*Shrug*

Gamil Zirak

The Ladies' Dwarve
Reaction score
Aw, but if you leave the spoiled milk in the fridge long enough, you'll have cheese. I know it has nothing to do with your analogy, but it was the first thought that came to me.

Confusticated

Reaction score
But I'm wondering if it is also meant, that people could come there and complain about things? That would be of no good IMHO, because people would complain over all and everything, plastering the Council with small, unimportant cases.
I think it would be a good idea to allow members to "complain" about things to the counsil. I honestly can't imagine that there would be so many complaints that the 9 would be overwelmed. I, for one, have no complaints with this forum.
I think there are members who do have complaints, and that these should have someone to complain to. A problem that seems small to one, may be important to another. I realise that every complaint made will not result in a better forum for the complainer..But: I think members will like knowing that the Webmaster and moderators are listening through the counsil of 9.

The counsil could also take the complaint or sugguestions of moderators, and be a lead for other members to follow.

The counsil could be something like a diplomatic older brother to the members.

Rangerdave

He's Back!
Reaction score
Ever so slightly out of sync with reality
Ok, here's a stupid idea.

The new and improved vb forum template (or whatever it is called) will allow for password protected forums, could we then not have a section that was protected can only the mods and C9 members access.

This way, when a member's term as C9 representative is up, we simply change the password.

Just a thought.
RD

R

ReadWryt

Actually with proper diligence we wouldn't need passwords. Right now the Reading Ring is set up so that only members of it can create threads or post to it. The same thing can be done to the visibility of the forum as is the case with the E.G.B.T. . It's just a matter of remembering to remove the abilities once their term is up is all...

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
*whispers to RW: They don't know what the E. G. B. T. is :D*

Confusticated

Reaction score
Hey Beorn..
We know enough about it. It was coming up on our screens for a couple days. I wondered why that was visable to all, was that a mistake? I see that it is gone now.

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Let me be the first to come up with a list of people I would like to suggest for the House of Commons:

Aerin
Arathin
Camille
Chrysophalax
Elbereth
HLGStrider
Legolam
tookish-girl
WonkoTheSane

aragil
Cian
Chymaera
Courtney
DGoeij
Gamil Zirak
Gothmog
Grond
Parrot
Thorin
Turgon

...and, yes, I am aware it are 20 not 18...

Edit: Aerin added...

Last edited:

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
This post originally said:

There will be a thread soon to post nominations....

But, that started a dispute, which I have moved to here, which explains why there is a three day pause in this thread.

Last edited:

dapence

Reaction score
Look, here's how choosing members for the C9 is going to work.

I plan to announce a period, perhaps two weeks or so, where people interested in becoming a member of the C9 could campaign for a post. Convince the membership that they would be a good choice to represent them.
Afterwards, a primary election would be held to allow the members to nominate 18 people for the post of C9 member. Then, perhaps another short campaign period, then the actual election.

We can modify this plan a bit to be sure, but the important point is that the members would decide who would be on the C9, not some off-site group, or other mechanism that would appoint C9 members.

As to just when this will take place is as yet undecided. I'm currently reworking the other Tolkien sites, and plan to deal with the C9 issue once that project is more or less finished. There isn't really a pressing need to establish the C9, so this delay shouldn't pose a problem.

Hopefully this post will help settle --at least a few -- disputes over this issue.

Now, Walter, RW, everyone, just calm down.

Thread suggestions