🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Can anyone help me please with finding a copy of the Ring-Runes Alphabet?



12 comic sans mf deeppink I was wondering if anyone could help me please :confused: I'm DESPERATE to find a copy of the Elvish Runic, and Ring Runic Alphabet, but i can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know of one, I would be eternally grateful!


no house
Aug 19, 2001
Reaction score
Welcome, Legolasina! :)
The Ring-Runes as you say are named 'Tengwar', which is Quenya and means 'letters'. I learned to write them by hand from a fabulous book called An Introduction to Elvish, by Jim Allan. There is a very precise Tengwar-English 'alphabet' graph in it, which shows the English/Black Speech equivalents of each Tengwa.
I also have a Tengwar font in my WOrd, but I would strongly suggest you not even considering using that before you can handle the Tengwar perfectly by hand. The lettering in correspondance to the keys on the keyboard are totally wacked. The symbol for eg. 't' is in the key for the number '1'! And the vowels (which are placed above the next consonant) have to be found by pressing shift and then roaming through the keys one by one. Whew, I say.
But try the book and learn it off by heart. It'll take you a few weeks at least, but it's worth it. (It's a great way to confuse your friends!) :D

Thread suggestions