The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Can someone fill in a gap for me

Foolofatook420

Reaction score
i watched the film before I read the book. But in fellowship I was expecting a sizable portion about Arwen and Aragorn being affectionate towards each other. Is that not really in Fellowship?

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
The fact that Arwen was a very late addition to the story meant that her character wasn't as fully developed as we perhaps would like -- not as much as Eowyn's, certainly, which has caused a number arguments over the years. Here's one, if you feel like going through it:

Merroe

Reaction score
I agree: Arwen is old, of high lineage, beautiful, loves and marries Aragorn, ... and euh, that's just about all that we know about her personality.

Arwen was a very late addition to the story
That's new to me SES! Did you get that bit from HoME or from the letters, maybe?

Alcuin

Reaction score
In Sauron Defeated (History of Middle-earth volume 9), which describes Tolkien’s completing Return of the King, at the end of the chapter covering (and entitled) “The Steward and the King”, Christopher Tolkien (CJRT) says his father first introduced Elrond’s daughter. Her name was originally “Finduilas”, the same name as the daughter of Orodreth king of Nargothrond, brother (or nephew) of Finrod and father of Gil-galad, whose tragic story we will not cover in this post. In a footnote to a passage at the end of the chapter, CJRT writes,
Arwen first emerged in the fair copy of the following chapter, “Many Partings”…
In that chapter, he writes,
In [draft] B … the name Arwen at last emerged. In … this text the Queen was named Ellonel, but this was at once changed back to Finduilas, and she is Finduilas at the two following occurrences… At this point … my father determined that her name was not Finduilas, and that he must find out what it was; for on a page of rough drafting for sentences in the opening of the chapter he is seen experimenting with other names…
This is quite late in the construction of Lord of the Rings.

Though not immediately germane to the question at hand, the fate of Éowyn changed several times as the book was written. In The Treason of Isengard (History of Middle-earth volume 7), which describes Tolkien’s writing Two Towers, the chapter covering (and entitled) “The King of the Golden Hall”, Tolkien first intended that
Aragorn weds Éowyn sister of Éomer (who becomes Lord of Rohan) and becomes King of Gondor.
Then later he amends this to
Cut out the love-story of Aragorn and Éowyn. Aragorn is too old and lordly and grim. Make Éowyn the twin-sister of Éomund… Probably Éowyn should die to avenge or save Théoden.
CJRT immediately reports that,
But my father added in a hasty scribble the possibility that Aragorn did indeed love Éowyn, and never wedded after her death.
This intention to have Éowyn die continues into the initial composition of Return of the King. In War of the Ring, (History of Middle-earth volume 8), “Addendum to ‘The Treason Of Isengard’”, section “(iii) Sketches for Book Five”, CJRT cites the passage,
Éowyn slays the King of the Nazgûl and is mortally wounded.
Later in the same section, enumerating things to take place, his father’s notes include
3. Charge of the Riders of Rohan breaks siege. Death of Théoden and Éowyn in killing the Nazgûl King…

7. Return to Gondor. Crowning of Aragorn. Funeral of Théoden and Éowyn.
Eventually, of course, Éowyn meets and falls in love with Faramir. Tolkien offers a description of the love of Éowyn and Faramir in Letter 244 in response to a reader’s criticism of the speed at which is evolved, which he vigorously defends:
In my experience feelings and decisions ripen very quickly … in periods of great stress, and especially under the expectation of imminent death.
While I was aware before I wrote this post that Tolkien had at first intended Aragorn and Éowyn to wed, I had not remembered that he decided to kill her off. The introduction of Arwen into the story seems to have derailed that intention for Éowyn’s death, setting up the romance between Éowyn and Faramir. For many years, the reunion of Éowyn and Faramir in the gardens of the Housing of Healing as become my favorite passage in all the Lord of the Rings as she addresses the Valar and claims at last her Númenórean heritage (her grandmother, Théoden’s mother, was the daughter of the Lord of Lossarnach; Forlong was probably Théoden’s first cousin):
“I stand in Minas Anor, the Tower of the Sun … and behold the Shadow has departed! I will be a shieldmaiden no longer, nor vie with the great Riders, nor take joy only in the songs of slaying. I will be a healer, and love all things that grow and are not barren.” And again she looked at Faramir. “No longer do I desire to be a queen,” she said.
I think it wildly romantic, by far the most romantic scene in all the book. Her courage and self-awareness permit her to choose the light where Saruman and Denethor in similar circumstances chose the darkness. She even teases Faramir, gently reminding him of the marriage of Valacar and Vidumavi, daughter of King of Rhovanion, which led to the Kin-Slaying of Gondor. (This last point cannot be understood until you have read the Lord of the Rings and even its appendices to appreciate the gravity of her prodding, and Faramir’s immediate and unhesitating response.)

The irony is that introducing Arwen into the story leads to Éowyn’s survival in its telling. I think that is worth remembering.

Last edited:

Olorgando

Reaction score
Egads! Alcuin's erudition makes me suspect I “know” him under another name on the other two JRRT sites I frequent. But there must certainly be numerous people whose JRRT “libraries” (at least!) match my own and who can quote from them in a speed (or whatever) that leaves me dizzy. 😲

Merroe

Reaction score
If we "sniff" each other out, dear Olorgando, then we're wasting time and bandwidth. However, I'm very glad that such a knowledgeable person like you made your jump here! This decision marks a serious upgrade to this website!

Greetings from green hills. ;)

Olorgando

Reaction score
Well, I think I've spotted my "sponsor" to this site - but with some easily-spotted details from one other site (as he may very well spot in my case, and never mind that I gave away the fact that I successfully registered here - in contrast to another site I've also mentioned where it didn't work). 😁

But anyway, to get back to the initial question of this thread: PJ, and perhaps even more so the producers, went absolutely berserk when they realized that the main hero's (another major mistake on their part) love interest would be practically invisible during 99% of the footage (and the main villain dito probably led to that pathetic "Sauron-as-a-big-searchlight-on-Barad-dûr" "solution"). 🤮

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent work as usual from Alcuin :)
But further to the original question, Tolkien wrote TLoR from the viewpoint of four Hobbits where knowledge of Aragorn's life and loves was limited at best. Unfortunately this was not the case in the films where the viewpoint was changed to human and we lost the most important (from the view of the Hobbits) Scouring of the Shire. This is why in the films Aragorn was forced to have his 70 years of growth and preparation crammed into the last month or so of the Wars against Sauron.

Olorgando

Reaction score
Oh yes, that H’wood cookie cutter about “growth” (or “development”, as Tom Shippey revealed in a lecture he gave at Swarthmore college last year). OK, in your run-of-the-mill movie, that gets crammed into at most 90 minutes, while even the cinematic versions of the first two movies ran to almost three hours, the third well over three hours (and actually we’re talking about a very long movie of over 9 hours in the cinematic version, well over 11 hours in EE, but that’s another topic).

It could have been worse (as I’ve often pointed out in other sites).

They were considering having Arwen participate in the Battle of Helm’s Deep (bad enough having the Lothlórien Elves there …)

And having Sauron appear in his Annatar guise (from the Second Age when he managed to fool Celebrimbor and the Elves of Eregion) at the gates of Mordor

Thread suggestions