🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Can someone summarize why the Dunedain were kings in exile for so long?

Goldberry

River Daughter
Reaction score
Why did the Dunedain wait so long to reclaim the throne of Gondor and re-establish the Kingdom of Arnor? Were there too few of them to fight Sauron, unless they were sure the ring was destroyed? It seems like so much about the one ring was forgotten, so why wait? In all those years, Sauron only grew more powerful.

Bucky

Reaction score
When they arived, the Father, Elendil was 'high King' over both Gondor & Arnor. His sons Isildur & Anarion ruled Gondor for him.

Onlt Isildur remained after the end of the 2nd Age.
He took the Ring & went to Arnor to take up the high kingship, commiting rule in the South (Gondor) to Anarion's son Melendil (I think that's his name).
Of course, Isildur's company was ambushed by Orcs & he was slain, & the One Ring lost.

The line of Isildur & Anarion continued, but were basically split into 2 kingdoms from that point.

The line in Gondor failed, & was ruled by a Steward 'until the King returns'; requests at that time from the King of Arnor to be named King of Gondor were rejected in Third Age 1975 I believe.

Soon after, the North Kingdom was destroyed.

Read Appendix A in ROTK for all the details.

I have to fly to work or I'd go into more detail; maybe somebody with more time can.....

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Bucky
When they arived, the Father, Elendil was 'high King' over both Gondor & Arnor. His sons Isildur & Anarion ruled Gondor for him.

Onlt Isildur remained after the end of the 2nd Age.
He took the Ring & went to Arnor to take up the high kingship, commiting rule in the South (Gondor) to Anarion's son Melendil (I think that's his name).
Of course, Isildur's company was ambushed by Orcs & he was slain, & the One Ring lost.

The line of Isildur & Anarion continued, but were basically split into 2 kingdoms from that point.

The line in Gondor failed, & was ruled by a Steward 'until the King returns'; requests at that time from the King of Arnor to be named King of Gondor were rejected in Third Age 1975 I believe.

Soon after, the North Kingdom was destroyed.

The kings of the dunedain were killed mosty in the wars with the witch king. With all those disatrous wars they dwindled to a lonely and small bound rangers. Allthough Isildur's heir lived. They didn't want Sauron to find out that Isildur's heir was still alive as he thought that he was dead. So once Aragorn revealed himself Sauron was hurt and suprised deeply. Enough to reveal his strenght against Gondor earlier then he thought. Thats it in short. There r. Hope that helps.
:D :cool:

Tyaronumen

Agent of the West
Reaction score
Yes -- following the rejection in the 1970s, the Heirs of Isildur knew that it would take more than the lineage of kings to become King of Gondor.

lisatkiom

Reaction score
I have a follow-up question: In Bree Strider tells the hobbits that he didn't introduce as a friend of Gandalf's right away b/c the Enemy had set traps for him before. Did Sauron know by that time that there was a living heir or had he he just been probing to see if one would emerge?

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Goldberry
Sauron doesn't know for sure that there is a living heir of Elendil, but he knows there are still Dunedain. I think it is something he worries about and keeps watch for, hence Aragorn's caution.
]

I'm not sure sauron knows that there are still Dunedain but he suspects there might be a few. Otherwise Sauron learnt that Isildur's heir is still alive when Aragorn reveals himself in the Palantir. With the banner and his other proofs.

HalasĂ­an

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
I missed the part in the Appendix that the King of Arnor had tried to claim the crown of Gondor in 1975, and was rejected. It makes more sense now.
&
Yes -- following the rejection in the 1970s, the Heirs of Isildur knew that it would take more than the lineage of kings to become King of Gondor.
Actually it would take more than the lineage and marriage to claim the throne of Gondor. Arvedui was married to FĂ­riel, daughter of King Ondoher in third age 1940, and in 1944 King Ondoher and his two sons were killed in the war with the Wainriders, leaving FĂ­riel as the only living heir, and so Arvedui thought that since his wife was the last heir of the King of Gondor, he made claim to the crown.

HalasĂ­an

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
After reading this thread and also the chapters on Numenor in Unfinished Tales, I see that it was a change of the law of succession of King Aldarion, sixth king of Numenor that allowed for ruling Queens. So was the old Numenorean law of succession in Gondor followed when Earnil was made King, and were there no qualified heirs under this law, allowing the Stewards to rule from then on til Aragorn came?

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
Well, Arvedui tried to use the argument that in Numenor rule passed to the oldest child, male or female, and therefore his wife could be the ruler. However, this practice was not followed in Gondor nor Arnor. Earnil is a descendant through the male line of Telumehtar Umbardacil.

Bucky

Reaction score
I was going to reply to this question, but I was reading the first responder's post.......

I was thinking to myself, 'This guy said everything I was going to say'.
Then I look over & the poster's name is mine, LOL! : :D

'Nuff said. :cool:

Thread suggestions