🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Character from the Silmarillion you do not like

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Character form the Silmarillion you do not like

Hama started a thread about Who is your favorite character in the Silmarillion. and I though that would be interesting to know which one you do not like at all and why.
I have two Feanor and Thingol, Feanor because the kinslaying and thingol because sometimes I think that he did not keep up as a Maia husban, he could have done better.
Hope to read your opinions.
greetings

M

Mormegil

Feanor's sons. They had the worst dad in history, but failed to realise that their oath would lead to their doom.

I also do not like Tuor, he had such an easy life. Chosen one of the Vala Ulmo, and gets an Elf wife also. That is so unfair compared to poor Turin.

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
MIM petty-dwarf. Sorry but I think its neat when Hurin kills him on the treasure of Nargothrond. I don't know why really.

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
They had the worst dad in history
Let´s see if this is true:
With him into banishment went his seven sons, and northward in Valinor they made a strong place and treasury in the hills;
Well, i guess he was so awful with his sons, that he forced them to go with him, or did they went because of the love they felt for his father? To me, i doesn´t look like he forced them to go with him.
for his father was dearer to him than the Light of Valinor or the peerless works of his hands; and who among sons, of Elves or of Men, have held their fathers of greater worth?
So, the worst dad in history, is also the son who loved his father the most in history?:confused:
There he would have perished, had not his sons in that moment come up with force to his aid; and the Balrogs left him, and departed to Angband.
Well, i suppose he was such a terrible father that their sons would have left him to die, but they recovered his body when he fell with the Balrogs. I wonder why they did it, if he was such a terrible father.
Their Oath shall drive them, and yet betray them, and ever snatch away the very treasures that they have sworn to pursue. To evil end shall all things turn that they begin well; and by treason of kin unto kin, and the fear of treason, shall this come to pass. The Dispossessed shall they be for ever.
'We have sworn, and not lightly. This oath we will keep. We are threatened with many evils, and treason not least; but one thing is not said: that we shall suffer from cowardice, from cravens or the fear of cravens. Therefore I say that we will go on, and this doom I add: the deeds that we shall do shall be the matter of song until the last days of Arda.'
and knew with the foreknowledge of death that no power of the Noldor would ever overthrow them; but he cursed the name of Morgoth thrice, and laid it upon his sons to hold to their oath, and to avenge their father.
Is this why you think that he was the worst father ever, because he told his sons to hold to their oath. I agree that the oath was evil and it should have been lifted but the fact that neither Fëanor nor his sons never gave means something. Much evil was done, i´ll admit, but the courage and determination of Fëanor and his sons is something to be proud of. No matter what, they never gave up, that is indeed something.
:)

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
Elves in general are wonderful creatures - fair, musical, strong, almost magical. But I intensely dislike those that are foolish with their power, or arrogant because of it. So arrogant that it leads to their own downfall. Elwe is an example of this, as is Feanor. Both had the potential to be intensely great and yet their arrogance caused more destruction than creation. The sons of Feanor were bound by an oath that they were not responsible for. Maedhros brought peace to the Noldor by giving up the kingship to Fingolfin. Maglor spared the lives of Elrond and Elros. I think that although they were terrible by leading the second and third kinslayings, they had their good sides. On the other hand, what Caranthir, Celegorm and Curufin did, in Nargothrond and Doriath was terrible. I also like Turin. He was a great hero, but apart from his bravery in battle, he was foolish in so many other respects. Tuor, although a mere man, managed to protect Gondolin and rise to a high position in Gondolin, on his own merit. Life was not so easy for him. I also sympathize with Maeglin. He did betray Gondolin in the end, but I believe others would have done the same in his position. Plus what he did to build up the city was a feat of its own. And lastly, Hurin is another character I intensely dislike. Although I pity him for the suffering he had to go through at the hands of Melkor, he it was that betrayed Gondolin, and by bringing the necklace of Nargothrond to Doriath, caused its downfall as well. His murder of Mim was also unnecessary. He caused the line of the Petty-dwarves to come to an end.

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Here we go! another Feanor's, pros and cons :p I forgot two characters more: Sauron and Melkor :mad: and Maeglin mmm that is all

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
baraka, Feanor was a wus. Give it up.
Grond, we have been in this discussion before, I know your views and you know mine. But i will leave you with this thought.
Then Fëanor ran from the Ring of Doom, and fled into the night; for his father was dearer to him than the Light of Valinor or the peerless works of his hands; and who among sons, of Elves or of Men, have held their fathers of greater worth?
You see, no one ever loved his father more than Fëanor, not even your Fingolfin, and Finwë always loved Fëanor the most. Do you think that there is a reason for it? I do?:)

Bucky

Reaction score
Feanor to me is the most disapointing character in terms of what the author did to/with him.

Here he is, built up as the greatest Elf ever, & out he goes in the first action back in ME.

Reminds me of Holyfield vs Tyson. All this build-up, then Tyson gets disqualified for biting Holyfield's ear off in the 2nd round.....

The character I really dislike is Maeglin's old man, The Dark Elf, Eol.

Another one who's easy to dislike is Glaurung. He seemed to so enjoy his work of destroying Hurin's children.

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bill the Pony
eeuhm, Melkor, Ungoliant? (or is that too obvious?)
Not at all, I hate Melkor for ruining all that is beautiful and for masterminding the fall of the Elves. He destroyed so many tribes and destroyed so many great cities. Characters such as Feaonor and Turin are victims of the hate that Melkor developed, to dislike them is unfair as they were bound by his lies and deceit.

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
Characters such as Feaonor and Turin are victims of the hate that Melkor developed, to dislike them is unfair as they were bound by his lies and deceit
Grond, Hmmmm. It´s just not me.:)

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
baraka, Melkor was merely the catalyst that spawned flaws that already existed in both Feanor's and Turin's character. Remember, Melkor couldn't create, merely corrupt; and, in Feanor and Turin, he found fertile grounds for corruption. :)

(baraka, you're gonna learn you can't win this argument with me.):D

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
But would Feanor and Turin have turned out so bad if Melkor (the catalyst) had not have corrupted them? I agree that Melkor influenced them but to say that they would have made the same/ similar mistakes is not right. (in my humble opinion).

Melkor awoke otherwise repressed sinful attitudes in weaker races.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Even without Melkor's influence, Feanor's pride was already showing. A showdown between Fingolfin and Feanor was brewing and all Melkor did was egg it on.

Also, let us not forget that Feanor absolutely, positively refused to give up the Silmarils (though he knew not that they were already stolen by Melkor) even to restore the Two Trees. That selfishness was not a product of Melkor. It was a product of Feanor.

As for Turin, his persona was equally corrupted before Melkor fine tuned it to betrayal. Middle-earth was not a perfect world nor was Valinor. Everyone seems to be taking the tact that had Melkor not existed, everything would have been perfect. I disagree, Vala, Maia, Elf and Man all had egos and pride, the main breeding grounds for discontent and from which the sins of anger, hatred and jealousy arise. Middle-earth didn't need Melkor, it would have been corrupted just fine without him, it just would have taken longer. ;)

Thread suggestions