🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Christian views on Homosexuality (in general as well as in the church)

Maeglin

Reaction score
Need I really say more? Give me your thoughts. I'll post mine in a couple of days when I'm done with the school week and have more time....and I think mine may also cause some conflict, so I'll keep quiet for a couple of days.;)

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
Oi! Isn't this a potential powder keg! :p

Well here you go, but some may not like it!

I believe that the Bible makes it pretty plain how God feels about homosexual behavior. Notice I said behavior not nature. When we go back to the garden of Eden, we see that man and woman were created different to become one. Two men can't do it, two women can't. Marriage and sexual togetherness was created a certain way for a reason.

I believe that a homosexual nature is a result of living in a sinful world. Just as if someone was born with a brain defect, or alcoholic tendencies or addicted to crack. It is an unfortunate deviation from nature and God's initial plan but we must deal with it like we would all other abberations.
(this was initially presented to me as such by a Christian homosexual dying of AIDS). I do believe that homosexual lifestyles can be adopted and not a matter of being 'born that way' as well and to me this is definitely choosing a sinful path and way of life.

Having homosexual tendencies and acting upon them in a homosexual lifestyle are two different things. The first is acceptable by God and not a sin, the latter is not and is considered sinful. God still loves the homosexual (just as he loves the murderer, the thief, the sex and drug addicted, but He does expect us to curb our behavior if need be. Being born alcoholic is not a sin. Imbibing in booze with that knowledge in mind and ruining the lives of others and yourself is. Same with homosexuality.

It may seem unfair that someone is born that way and is expected to be celibate, but that is what is happening in a dying, sin-sicked world. We play with the cards we get and sometimes they aren't always pleasant.

Maeglin

Reaction score
I said I'd keep quiet for a few days.....well I lied!! After reading your post I just wanted to let you know that you basically took the words out of my mouth!!:D I was going to say that I have no problem with the homosexual person (or tendencies that a person would have), but I do have a problem with the act of homosexuality, as it is very sinful and clearly stated in the Bible. Some may say that I am contradicting myself by saying that I have no problem with the homosexual person but with homosexuality itself. But in my mind it makes sense and works out.
Okay, I now await the retaliations.....if any are to come...

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
I think that homosexuality is wrong. No Christian who has read the Bible can argue otherwise.

I believe that homosexuality is the result of upbringing and life-experiences as well as personal choices. The suggestion that homosexuality is in a gene, like cancer or hair color, is simply ludicrous, in my opinion.

That being said, I am not the type who will condemn someone to hell for doing it, and I will not in this case...but I think that being a "gay christian" is rather an oxymoron.

Maeglin

Reaction score
I complete agree with you Ciryaher, it is of someone's own choice that they are homosexual. Earlier today, however, I got into a huge argument with some Christian friends on the aspect of homosexuality. When I said that it was one's choice to be homosexual, they said that I was contradicting myself because I also believe in pre-destination, so they said that God created homosexuals, and if it's wrong then why did he do it? This got me very angry and defensive, because my friend said that he "had already told me why scripture was wrong on this, and that since Jesus came and fulfilled the law homosexuality was no longer a sin." This is when I began to yell, what I ended up saying was "Who are you to tell me that scripture is wrong?! The Bible clearly says that homosexuality is wrong, and you are certainly no authority over what scripture says! And to argue my point more, I said to him that if Jesus did indeed fulfill every law that had been broken in the past, then murder was no longer a sin." He then said murder was still a sin and something else but by this time I was irate with him and was walking away from both of them.....

But he has read the Bible, and is arguing that Homosexuality is okay, which, as a Christian, if he says that, it is an oxymoron (as Ciryaher said). So.....I don't really know what to say to him anymore......

sorry if this might have gone a little off topic by describing my experience discussing the same thing as this thread earlier today....;)

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
Originally posted by Glorfindel1187
This got me very angry and defensive, because my friend said that he "had already told me why scripture was wrong on this, and that since Jesus came and fulfilled the law homosexuality was no longer a sin."
Amazing the ignorance of what the law really was about is running so rampant in the Christian world today.

Tell you friend first of all that Christ coming to "fulfill" the law means to "make meaningful", not to abolish. Jesus said, "Think not that I have come to destroy the law, I have not come to destroy but to fulfill". Jesus was the embodiment of the law, but it is the same law, just written on our hearts.

Secondly, tell him that the laws that Christ did abolish were the ceremonial rituals that directly pointed to Him. Once He came, there was no longer need for them (i.e. the temple service and sacrificial system that pointed to the perfect Lamb). Homosexuality was not any sort of 'law' but a lifestyle. And much of the serious condemnation is found in the books written long after Christ died. Ceremonial laws were done away with, moral laws were not.

How your friend could justify Christ fulfilling homosexuality is absolutely beyond any biblical reasoning or interpretation.

I believe I will start a thread on the law as well considerig it is one of the most abused and misinterpreted views in Protestant Christianity today.

Maeglin

Reaction score
Sounds good, I think I'd have a lot to say in a thread like that. And this friend that was misinterpreting is Catholic, not Protestant, which is even stranger because they seem to be more strict on these sort of things.... but then again, I don't think he likes the Catholic church.

Elendil3119

Reaction score
I'm not sure I really understand the title of this thread. Anybody who believes that the Bible is truth (the whole Bible ;)) can only come to one conclusion: homosexuality is wrong. Thorin and Cir pretty much said it all.
How your friend could justify Christ fulfilling homosexuality is absolutely beyond any biblical reasoning or interpretation.
People like that normally like to ignore the verse in Romans where Paul condemns homsexuality. I'm too lazy to look up the verse now. :D

omnipotent_elf

Omnipotent....mmm....good
Reaction score
sorry if i'm not allowed to post, because I am not a Christian. I was brought up in catholic schools, so i know the bible

I think that homosexuality is wrong. No Christian who has read the Bible can argue otherwise.

I believe that homosexuality is the result of upbringing and life-experiences as well as personal choices. The suggestion that homosexuality is in a gene, like cancer or hair color, is simply ludicrous, in my opinion.

That being said, I am not the type who will condemn someone to hell for doing it, and I will not in this case...but I think that being a "gay christian" is rather an oxymoron.
I find it shocking that people cannot choose for themselves. Greater gaps within communities are created by this ignorance of others. Its a result of lack of empathy, and arrogance to believe that your opinion is the right one, and the only one. If a gay Christian is an oxymoron, which is probably right, then there should be less christians due to closed mindedness

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
I find it shocking that people cannot choose for themselves.
I did choose for myself. I choose, regardless of what the Bible says, that homosexuality is wrong.

Greater gaps within communities are created by this ignorance of others.
Ignorance? I know quite well what a homosexual is. I have homosexual friends, I don't rant to them about their practices, but they're still wrong.

Its a result of lack of empathy, and arrogance to believe that your opinion is the right one, and the only one.
I can think of things from anyones point of view. I know how it feels to be persecuted, and so I don't persecute anyone. However, the fact that homosexuality is wrong is based on two universal truths, one theistic and one atheistic: Homosexuality is forbidden by God/Allah/etc.; Homosexuality goes against the will of the species and impedes procreation.

More logical proof that homosexuality is not genetic: evolution would have weeded out homosexual tendencies because they do not procreate and advance the species.

If a gay Christian is an oxymoron, which is probably right, then there should be less christians due to closed mindedness
You can say it's close mindedness if that floats your boat. I think that murder is wrong too, does that make me close-minded against murderers? Or if I think pædophilia is wrong, does that make me close-minded against pædophiliacs? No, of course not.

We follow the laws that we are given. My law, and many other peoples' law forbids homosexuality, and we shall abide by it.

Sarah

Wandering Hobbit
Reaction score
If God did not create homosexuals, there wouldn't be any.

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sarah
If God did not create homosexuals, there wouldn't be any.
No, if man hadn't chosen to sin in the first place and corrupted himself there wouldn't be any.

(btw, I have a homosexual friend. I love him like I should my friends, but his behavior is still wrong)

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Talierin
(btw, I have a homosexual friend. I love him like I should my friends, but his behavior is still wrong)
I'm sure he's thrilled at knowing that you think his actions are wrong. That must certainly reinforce the belief that you love him.

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
Not nessecarily... I accept that he's gay, I don't bother him about it, but I do pray for him...

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
But why do you pray for him? In hopes that he will....convert? Trying something like that would only be lying to himself and to others and cause nothing but misery. Try putting yourself in his shoes and trying to 'convert'. Not that easy, huh?

But of course, not when you have the help of God...

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
No, I don't pray that he will up and convert... I pray that God will do his will in his heart, as well as mine. Maybe God wants him to stay homosexual? I really don't know, it's up to God, I just pray for him, just as I pray for all my friends and myself

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
If your 'God' hates a group of people that you deem 'nasty' then you should really take some time and contemplate what kind of God you worship. Surely not a just, loving god. That you can be sure of.

Another thing worth considering, my dear Turin, would be the possibility of your child being homosexual. I dread to think what kind of environment the child would be growing up in with you being of the opinion that he/she is 'nasty'. Would you brainwash your child with all kinds of religious blabber, and try to convert him/her?

And also, targeting a certain group of people with insults, will not be tolerated.

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
To me, God doesn't make any person one way or the other. I believe in complete personal freedom.

*thinks*

I will remain consistent with my own beliefs and say that homosexuality cannot be judged as right or wrong by humans. God will judge as he wishes, and I am sure that homosexuals, like heterosexuals, who live honesty and with goodness, and are not promiscuous in their sexual behaviour, I think that surely God would not condemn them

And as for my "gay" friend, I never have mentioned his own decisions, questioned them, or hoped that he would change. He can be slightly obnoxious, but he's a good person and he is a good friend.

omnipotent_elf

Omnipotent....mmm....good
Reaction score
Ignorance? I know quite well what a homosexual is. I have homosexual friends, I don't rant to them about their practices, but they're still wrong.
what makes you right?

. I know how it feels to be persecuted, and so I don't persecute anyone. However, the fact that homosexuality is wrong
well at least u dont make contradictions ;) :D

You can say it's close mindedness if that floats your boat. I think that murder is wrong too, does that make me close-minded against murderers? Or if I think pædophilia is wrong, does that make me close-minded against pædophiliacs? No, of course not.
last i checked, it wasnt illegal to be homosexual

How could anyone be homosexual, I mean its just nasty( I wish there was a throw up smilie), I think its wrong and God hates it.
just think, to him what u prefer might be 'nassty'

Éomond

Rider of Rohan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Turin
How could anyone be homosexual, I mean its just nasty( I wish there was a throw up smilie), I think its wrong and God hates it.
While i do agree that it's nasty Turin, God does not hate homosexuality, but he does not like it. He loves homosexuals just as much as the "average" person, what homo's are doing is living a life of sin, and God, agian, doesn't like sin, so there4, homosexuals are just sining and can be forgiven and what-not.

(I hope that made sense.)

Ok, with the nasty part of it, what the poop is wrong with women!? They're awsome! (that was a little self opinion)

Thread suggestions