🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Christian views on Homosexuality (in general as well as in the church)

Lifeling

Nothing Happens Wednesday
Reaction score
he forgave the prostitutes and the adulterers
But remember what he said to the adulteress... "Go and sin no more". What she was doing was sin... He knew it and she knew it... It wasnt that it didnt matter, but what mattered was that he forgave her and gave her another chance. The forgiveness would've lasted long if she had gone right back and found herself another man. Change, that is what Jesus gives, and freedom from sin... He does NOT give people an excuse to continue in their sinful lifestyle.

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
the adulterer was not sinning cause she had sex, she was sinning cause she was adulterous.in the same way , a gay person can't be sinning simply on the grounds of being gay, but bwing an adulterer or a prostitute or generally promiscuous is considered sin. So if two men choose to live together as partners, what they do together is not sin, but if one of them strays, that is.

this is just my own opinion, i don 't mean it to be offensive to anyone....

Starflower

Lifeling

Reaction score
Stop doing that!
2 posts earlier you used prostitutes and adulterers in your argument teling me that I should accept gays. I try to use that same logic... and you tell me Im wrong! You were the one who grouped them in the same category in the first place!!!:mad: :rolleyes: :)
(Im not seriously mad, but can you please think out your arguments so that I'm not just wasting my time and energy)

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
my dear, I am not trying to make you accept gays

what I'm trying to say, is sinning is going directly against God's wishes, and I think being gay isn't a sin. But being an adulterer and a prostitute is, that's why Jesus told her "go and sin no more". Had she been a man, I believe Jesus would have said exaclty the same thing.

Lifeling

Reaction score
So your saying that gays... as long as they are married are not sinning?

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
yes and no

a gay prostitute is sinning, a gay person committing adultery (or murder, rape, theft etc) is sinning. But a gay person living a normal life, whether they have a partner or not, is not living a "sinful" life simply becasue of their sexual preference. If I go around sleeping with every man I meet , I know I am doing wrong, but if i sleep with my boyfriend whom I love very much , but we are not married , am I committing a sin ?

Starflower

Lifeling

Reaction score
Yes... sex outside of marriage is sin.

Samweis

Reaction score
Originally posted by Lifeling
Satan can only pervert and distort... God created sexuality, Man and Woman. Satan took that and made something evil... Homosexuality, not gays... Homosexuality.
I cannot share your point of view of faith - this is really an insult, because you imply that I`m a pervert.

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
see that's a whole different issue. I don't know what church you worship in , but I was brought up Lutheran, and to my knowledge lutheran church does not say sex outside the marriage is a sin, it is not encouraged, but it is not looked upon as a sin.

But that's not the point of our discussion, the point was, whether a gay person is sinful on the grounds of their sexuality

Starflower

Samweis

Reaction score
Originally posted by Marah Seph
Samweis,

First off, you have to get the commandment right, becuase we do have poor translators I can understand. The Commandment was not "Do not kill" but rather, do not murder. If it was do not kill, then there wouldn't be much meat in the jews/christain diets now would there?
In the German bible is the commandment: Du sollst nicht töten "You shall not kill" not: Du sollst nicht morden "You shall not murder"

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
In the German bible is the commandment: Du sollst nicht töten "You shall not kill" not: Du sollst nicht morden "You shall not murder"
it is the same in the Finnish Bible, it says : do not kill

Starflower

Samweis

Reaction score
Originally posted by Starflower
see that's a whole different issue. I don't know what church you worship in , but I was brought up Lutheran, and to my knowledge lutheran church does not say sex outside the marriage is a sin, it is not encouraged, but it is not looked upon as a sin.

But that's not the point of our discussion, the point was, whether a gay person is sinful on the grounds of their sexuality

Starflower
I´m Lutherian, too - like I have already wrote before, some priest bless the partnerships of person of the same gender in accordance with the bishops.

The two largest Churches in Germany are the Lutherian Church of Germany and the Catholic Church - the Lutherian is a little bit larger.

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
do not be offensive please, of course Lutherans believe in the Bible, we are Christians
And yes sex outside the marriage is adultery, that is if you are married and have sex with somenoe other than your spouse, the BIble does't specifically adress the issue of PRE-MARITAL sex, and it is a matter of theology , which differs between churches. The catholic believe that you have to confess your sins to a priest in order for them to be forgiven , and many catholics also believe that contraception is sin. The Church of England doesnt' ordain female bishops, but ordains gay bishops. Lutheran church ordains women but not gays......

Starflower

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score

And yes sex outside the marriage is adultery, that is if you are married and have sex with somenoe other than your spouse, the BIble does't specifically adress the issue of PRE-MARITAL sex, and it is a matter of theology , which differs between churches.
Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body. But he that committeth fornication, sinneth against his own body - 1 Corinthians 6:18
Hmm. What is fornication?
Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife and let every woman have her won husband - 1 Corinthians 7:2
I say therefore to the unmarried and widow, it is good for them if they abide even as I (single). But if they cannot contain themselves, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn (in passion) - 1 Corinthians 7:9
Paul is saying rather than commit the sin of the flesh, get married to avoid fornication. If you interpret fornication as adultery, Paul is basically saying, "Hey don't have sex with someone in case they are married. Get your own wife!" which is ludicrous. Adultery and fornication are two different things.

The scriptures are adamant about marriage and sex within marriage. I don't fully understand these churches that are trying hard to find biblical excuses to justify their practices. The Bible says that in the last days there would be people wanting to hear and believe what they want, rather than listen to the truth.

Samweis

Reaction score
And yes sex outside the marriage is adultery, that is if you are married and have sex with somenoe other than your spouse, the BIble does't specifically adress the issue of PRE-MARITAL sex, and it is a matter of theology , which differs between churches.[/i]
... this is my attitude about this issue, too - starflower

Lutheran church ordains women but not gays......
Just a remark: I really would like to know the number of homosexual priests in all of the christian churches - I suppose it will be a large number of homosexual priests, but they haven´t come out yet, because of this "DON´T ASK DON´T TELL" - policy of all of the churches.

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
*sigh*

I was always taught that the words of Jesus should be my guide, as wise and authoritative Paul is, his words are secondhand information, and he himself says that Jesus' words are the ones we should live by, not his.He is advising us, not commanding.

Only commmandments Jesus gives us are : Love Lord your God , with all your heart, all your mind and all your might. And also, love your neighbour as yourself. Keep these two and everything else will come with them
This is the basis of my faith, and I see nothing wrong about it

Starflower

Elendil3119

Reaction score
2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness..."

No easy way to get around that.

Thread suggestions