What's new
The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Christian views on Homosexuality (in general as well as in the church)

Lúthien Séregon

Reaction score
So then it's okay to make any sort of discriminatory remark, just as long as it's got something to do with religion?

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Non-Religious people are just as discriminatory towards Christians as religious people are discriminatory towards people that break that religions laws. And people on this thread aren't saying "You homosexuals are going to burn in Hell!", they are stating, from the viewpoint of their own personal beliefs, that homosexuality is not acceptable, according to their beliefs.

Gandalf White

Gone Missing
Reaction score
As this thread, and indeed the whole GOR, is being closed sometime tomorrow, all I have to say are these two things.

1. Love the sinner, hate the sin.

2. You'll all be judged by an all-knowing God at the end of your life. It may sound nutty to you, but we'll find out who's right in the end...

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gandalf White
As this thread, and indeed the whole GOR, is being closed sometime tomorrow, all I have to say are these two things.

1. Love the sinner, hate the sin.

2. You'll all be judged by an all-knowing God at the end of your life. It may sound nutty to you, but we'll find out who's right in the end...
1. Religious or not, don't go around hating.

2. Then again, we may not.

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Well, since I'm about as neutral as people are going to come (plus I'm the moderator of this area, though there are some technicalities to be worked out since the shift) I have two things to say, one for myself as a person and one for myself as a mod.

1) I have read the entire thread, and my stance hasn't changed. Homosexuality is not genetically normal (otherwise it would be a dominant and thus widespread trait). However, I also still believe that there is nothing wrong with monogamous homosexual relationships.

2) I think that both parties have said some rude and downright ignorant things; the surprising fact is that most of the ignorance has come from the "pro-Homosexuality" (very broad term) camp. This thread is titled "CHRISTIAN VIEWS ON HOMOSEXUALITY". I don't know what some of you people expected, but I expected Christians to explain their views on Homosexuality, not for non-Christians to BASH Christians because of their beliefs. This is immature behaviour, and I EXPECT that it will not happen again.

Savvie?

Lúthien Séregon

Reaction score
I don't know what some of you people expected, but I expected Christians to explain their views on Homosexuality, not for non-Christians to BASH Christians because of their beliefs.
Oh I get it. So it's perfectly okay for Christians to bash homosexuality ( in which case it's called "explaining their views" ), but not for non-Christians to oppose these views ( in which case it is labelled "bashing" ). Yeah, that's just great. :rolleyes:

Whilst I know this thread was originally specifically meant only for the views of Christians, I still feel that it's a bit unwarranted to largely direct this criticism/warning at just the opposing side alone.

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Please direct me to a post that says anything similar to "I hate homosexuals" or "I hope homosexuals burn in hell".

Until then your sarcasm is pointless. And FYI, I'm not a Bible-thumping Christian. I am a Hindu who believes in Christ who is God, and so I am a Hindu/Christian/Jew/Muslim.

Lúthien Séregon

Reaction score
Although the posts do not directly say "I hate homosexuals", some of them are still ignorant enough to seriously offend people.

For example, it's a bit like saying "It's a sin to have black skin, but black people can repent if they get whitening cream". That sounds a bit extreme, but it's no different to saying "It's a sin to be gay, but they can repent if they choose a life of celebacy or become straight".

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
This is because those are those people's beliefs. I invite you to tell the Amish that they are insulting you by saying electricity is evil because you or someone you know uses a pacemaker.

Éomond

Rider of Rohan
Reaction score
Okay Lúthien, I (a Christian) am saying from my views, that homosexuality is sin, that's my view, I'm not "bashing" on anyone, that's just how I feel and believe. If you think different, ok, that's fine.

Ha, here's the thing, I do think homosexuality is a sin, but I love them the same as anyone, I think they're cool and interesting, and in no way would I want to see them in hell at all.

:)

(Nice post Cir. :))

Lúthien Séregon

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ciryaher
This is because those are those people's beliefs.
That's exactly what I mean, as long as it's for religion, it's okay to say anything. But if not, then it's labelled as offensive, bashing, ignorant, or childish, as you've just shown. Look, I'm not turning this into a full on argument, I'm just saying I think your criticism should not have been directed at non-Christians alone. Believe it or not, religion is not something that makes people different from anyone else, the same rules apply. Don't discriminate, don't hate ( and this includes hating people's natures too ). It's as simple as that.

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
I will say that non-Christians, in general, behaved poorly in this thread until I see otherwise. You say that people have a right to believe what they want, but then you show your double standard and say that they don't have a right to say it if it is offensive and I think that the Christians expressed their believes without an ounce of intended insult or hatred...and as annoying as I am to some Christians, you can't say that I am biased because I weigh BOTH sides of the argument.

Oh, and Political Correctness is the hangman's noose for intellect. If you want real Nazism and persecution, be an advocate for Political Correctness.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
'Behaved poorly in general'. Thank you for pointing out what you mean. If you think certain behavior was wrong or even close to the edge, quote them and explain your point, instead of randomly accusing a whole buch of people of bad behavior, because in your eyes, several of seem to have done so.

I don't see why I can't questions beliefs, wether religious or not, that apparently think it's alright to hate certain peoples behavior as long as they don't hate the person. Apart from the fact I don't understand how one could manage such thought without your eyes crossing, I wonder why it's okay to hate peoples behavior while it is in no way causing any harm to anyone else.

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
By all means, all are welcome in this thread. This is a discussion forum, and you Ciryaher, are one of the moderators in this area. Don't think that others are not vigilant, or that others have a less refined sense of right and wrong than you have.

And yes, point out some of the bashing done by 'the pro-homosexuality camp', if you will.

I haven't seen Christians being called 'nasty', though I did see a Christian throwing that label at homosexuals. But hey, all is fair in the name of religion, eh?

It was a sad day when people turned a blind eye to logic and reason and decided to follow whatever inadequate explanations were passed on to them from generation to generation, rather than thinking for themselves.

Gandalf White

Gone Missing
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lúthien Séregon

Oh I get it. So it's perfectly okay for Christians to bash homosexuality ( in which case it's called "explaining their views" ), but not for non-Christians to oppose these views ( in which case it is labelled "bashing" ). Yeah, that's just great. :rolleyes:
While it is the exact opposite in the "real world." :rolleyes:

Then again, we may not.
Well, that was my point. Although I believe we will, we'll have to wait to see who's right.

Malbeth

Reaction score
I don't see why I can't questions beliefs, wether religious or not, that apparently think it's alright to hate certain peoples behavior as long as they don't hate the person. Apart from the fact I don't understand how one could manage such thought without your eyes crossing, I wonder why it's okay to hate peoples behavior while it is in no way causing any harm to anyone else.
I think anyone can do it without getting their eyes crossed; in fact, I think everyone does do it, to themselves at least. I hate some of the things I do, but I do not hate myself; I think everyone who is not a psychopath sometimes hates something they did.

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Hating what someone does and hating the person are two very different things. You could love your friend very much, but hate their attitude towards the opposite sex, or their smoking, or whatever.

Here are some passages (from both sides) I consider to be unduly harsh/accusative in no particular order:

Thuringwethil:

"Some others.. No use to address names, you know who you are. No use to write what I think about you, either. It would be censored in zero time anyway."

Must be pretty bad.

Omnipotent_elf:

"If a gay Christian is an oxymoron, which is probably right, then there should be less christians due to closed mindedness"

What shall we do with them? Put all close-minded Christians in gas-chambers?

Turin:

"How could anyone be homosexual, I mean its just nasty( I wish there was a throw up smilie), I think its wrong and God hates it."

From the mouth of God Himself :rolleyes:

Wonko the Sane:

"If you're straight there aren't any bigots like you lot trashing them at every turn and saying God hates them"

I'm a bigot? Well I've only seen one person "trash" homosexuals. See Above.

Eomond:

"God made Adam and Eve
Not Adam and Steve."

Totally out of line. Very rude and I just can't stand insulting little jingles like this.
About this point, I got tired of re-reading through the thread, but I think this is a good sample.

Again, I think there was a lot of open hostility on the part of those who oppose the traditional Biblical interpretation towards those who do.

Ithy, I know quite well that I am ONE of the moderators for this section. I never claimed to be the only. But don't expect me to just sit around when things like this are happening. I felt that it needed saying that there was a bit of hypocrasy going on around here.

And for the record, I've made up my mind that there really isn't enough proof from the New Testament perspective to label homosexual monogamy as wrong. I wouldn't think of becoming homosexual myself, but I don't see why anyone else who has those tendencies should be restricted from it. Doesn't make much sense to me when I think about it.

I do have a question, though. Is it "normal" for males to consider other males attractive in the same (or similar) way that they consider females attractive? Like "He has really pretty eyes" or things along those lines...just wondering.

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think of becoming homosexual myself,
Would you please elaborate on how you think one can simply become homosexual?

It is not simply a matter of toggling the 'user CP' in your brain and choosing between heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual, and then switching back when you tire of one or the other. I can safely say that most homosexual people would probably not choose to be gay. Don't you think?

Isn't it a bit presumptious to assume that people can influence something as complex as human sexuality, to such an extent that they can choose?

I do have a question, though. Is it "normal" for males to consider other males attractive in the same (or similar) way that they consider females attractive? Like "He has really pretty eyes" or things along those lines...just wondering.
Homophobia has played a great part in making this uncommon or undesirable behaviour, especially with men. Is a (wo)man not capable of evaluating whether another (wo)man is attractive or has some appealing feature? Of course (s)he is! Does that mean that there's something wrong with the person, or does it hint at their being bisexual or homosexual! Not really.

Whoever is confident in their sexuality will have no problem making any such statements. Inderjit comes to mind...:)

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Well what I meant exactly is a bit personal. Suffice to say that I believe that people CAN make the choice if they want it enough, and if they are in the right state of mind...like when you are at a particular intersection that you don't come often to, but it is there at the time and you can make the choice. Again, I believe humans are capable of just about anything, and that includes overpowering certain parts of the mind with others.

Going on a tangent, eish.

As for my question that you answered, I agree that homophobia is really messing up our society. I can hardly hug a male friend without them hesitating, and so I have to limit myself because I don't want to put them in a situation that may be embarassing or difficult. And I could hardly imagine what would happen if a guy noticed me looking at his eyes...I'd probably either be insulted into oblivion or beaten up.

Éomond

Rider of Rohan
Reaction score
Okay, I'm very, deeply sorry to anyone if my "joke" offened them. I'm so sorry. I did not see my ignorance and how stupid it was, so, sorry if I hurt anybody, I did not mean to:( :eek:

Thread suggestions