🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Computer Gaming Forum

Best new system

• Microsoft XBOX

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Nintendo Gamecube

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Sony Playstation2

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Sega Dreamcast

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
On-Line Gaming!

I am sticking this thread to the top of Stuff and Bother to allow members to discuss Computer Games, without the need for a separate section.

Hello all,

Just wanted to start a little thread dedicated to on-line gaming, for those members who play. For many the ultimate game has been 'Half-Life - Counter Strike', however at Christmas I got my grubby hands on 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein', which has spawned an absolutely knock-out multi-player as part of the regular game.

Now, I am supposed to be studying somewhat and have been trying to sneak on to play every so often, though nowhere near as often as I would like. My problem is my PC, is just not powerful enough nor is my connection (56k) to give me the best experience possible. So a few questions to the members;

1. What on-line multiplayers do you currently play?

2. What sort of system set-up do you think is best for this type of gaming?

3. Do you have any hints or tips you would like to share with other members?

4. What advice do you recommend for beginners?

And that will do for now. Interested to hear your views and especially interested to hear from anyone who has played RTCW.

Regards

Ancalagon

Last edited:

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
I only do Monster Truck Madness.

I don't exactly go online to do it. I have three PC networked in my house and I race against my kids. It's multi-player but it's on a LAN, not the web.

However, it does work over the web as well and even though I've got DSL, I haven't done it.

If anyone knows a good Monster Truck Madness racing group on the web, I'm interested in hearing about it.

C

Chippy

my brother plays online games .....

u has been playing them ever since he was about 11 and now he is 16.....my brother ....was into counter stike .....he would play it every time he could get on the computer.....but now he is into ....Quake 3...... i have heard 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein'.... but my brother has never played it .....

And Tar-Steve i have monster track maddnes too...but i don't play on the net..only on lan ..when my friends come over... i like midtown madness better

Ragnarok

Grand Master (Funk)
Reaction score
I play Diablo II and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I own at both. I want to get Half-Life and all its mods, and I'm gonna restart playing EQ again.

Asha'man

No Whining!
Reaction score
I play Deus Ex and Jedi Knight, but neither very much due to lack of time. I have a fairly (very to me) fast system that I will go into greater detail on another time. I have no time! *cackles insanely*

Okay, now I have time. I'm running Windows 2000 on an Athlon T-bird 900, 256 mb RAM, 40 gig HD, and the crown jewel.......nVidia GeForce2 Ti video card with 64 megs of DDR RAM. *lights shine down from sky* Oh, it's so nice to finally have a fast computer! I don't really play that much, and I'm not terribly good when I do, so I can't really give advice to newbies. Basically, just keep moving, shoot at anything that moves, and don't be laggy. Lag is not your friend. In fact, it is your worst enemy. I have dial-up internet, can you tell?

Asha'man

Last edited:

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
I play MUME (a Tolkien-based MUD), Tribes 2 (probably the greatest multiplayer combat game ever, IMHO), and a mix of Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors, Battlezone 2, and Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 (a lot of 2's....)

I'm running on an Athlon 900mhz, 30 Gb HD, 128Mb RAM, and a piddly little 8Mb S3 video card :( I have been unable to play Tribes 2 lately because of my disgustingly inadequate video card...grrr...

No hints unless you ask specifically...

I advise that you LEARN how to play the game before you play it online. Once you get the basics, then you can get online and not make a total fool (and nuisance) of yourself.

Khamul

Anti-Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
i own a bunch of games that are multiplayer but i basically only play nox its kinda like diablo but i got a free copy of it and i spend all of my money on cds so i dont have enough 2 buy diablo and i also play age of empires 2

Khamul

Anti-Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
and lag can be helpful depending on what class you are

ill give u advice on nox but u prob dont have it newayz

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Ok guys, now you have to educate the ignorant here! What exactly is lag? As I am rather a novice at this lark I need to be updated on the terms used.

Another question; I plan to buy a Athlon 1Ghz Socket A 266FSB in conjuction with a Gigabyte Motherboard KT133A ATX, will these improve my gaming?

Answers on a postcard pls!

Khamul

Anti-Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
ok lag is when ur internet connection either freezes up or runs very slow some other people may have a different definition but that is a basic one

Ragnarok

Grand Master (Funk)
Reaction score
Its when the screen shakes/skips/jumps and goes slow then real fast to catch up. It is technically your game slowing down to load and catch up with the rest of the game. It sucks. Thankfully, I dont have it on my comp.

~AMD Atholon 1.3ghz
~GeForce2 64mb MX
~Soundblaster
~72x CD
~16x DVD-CD
~24x CD-RW

My comp 0wns!

Asha'man

No Whining!
Reaction score
Alrighty, Anc: As I understand and have experienced it, lag is when your internet connection doesn't have enough bandwidth to keep up with the other players. It is transferring too much data and gets bogged down. This usually results in your death. The other players see your character on the screen and kill him, but you don't know that they are there or have an opportunity to shoot back until after you're dead. For me, this happens when I play with people on DSL or cable; their connections transfer what happens in the game to them instantly, while it takes a few seconds for the same data to me over my slow dialup. In short, lag sucks.

About your Athlon: It should improve gaming graphics-wise, but it won't help with the lag. In fact, it might even compound it because you'll probably turn your resolution up a bit, which will slow the whole gameplay experience. Not only will you be getting the data after the other people, but your screen will take a little longer to display it at the higher res. This depends on your video card, though; do you have specs on it? And what is your current chip? The reason I ask is because it might behoove you more to upgrade the video card than the chip.

Ragnarok: You suck! Your computer sounds *so* bloody fast! :D What kind of video RAM do you have?

Asha'man

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Ash, my graphics card is a Voodoo 5500. It seems to perfrom fairly well. The chip is a Celeron and it is useless.

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
Chippy,

I've never heard of mid-town madness. Are you playing monster Truck Madness 2? (I'm not, I'm playing the original, dated around 1997.) Send me a pm. Maybe we can swap some tracks.

(Sorry to use a thread post for this but Chippy doesn't have a pm tab.)

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Don't worry Tar; this thread is for all things gaming, on and off-line.

Asha'man

No Whining!
Reaction score
Voodoo 5500 - sounds good. How much RAM, and how fast? DDR is twice as fast as SD, is why I'm asking. What's your chip speed, and how much RAM do you have? I'd be willing to bet that that Celeron is a piece of crap. :barf: Also, what is your board upgradable to? If you want a faster chip, you just might have to get a new board.

Asha'man

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
128MB Ram, as for the chip; trust me, it's pathetic. Therefore, I now have in my posession an Athlon 1gb CPU and a Gigabyte compatible motherboard. I am also about to upgrade my hard drive to 40gb for additional storage. The Voodoo will remain, the soundcard also (for the meantime) while I upgrade. So, I can say now, that I plan to do all this tonight and tomorrow, so if you don't hear from me for a while you know why.

God.....changing my motherboard, I am trembling at the prospect.

Until next time.

Asha'man

No Whining!
Reaction score
Sounds like a good upgrade. What would really help would be another 128 RAM chip. I have 256 and it makes a huge difference. I think you mean gHz for the chip, not gb. :) Now, are you going to go all the way and get high-speed internet?

Asha'man

(edited to add)

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Well, I have made it back online, with virtually a new comp. I am chuffed with myself. I have just built a PC from scratch.....everything; and I survived; so if I can, anyone can.

Broadband will have to wait, it costs £40 a month, which is way too expensive for me.

Asha'man

No Whining!
Reaction score
Congrats, Anc! You'll like it a lot, I guarantee it.

Forty quid a month?! It's like forty dollars here, and last I checked, the pound was worth about a buck and a half.

Asha'man

Thread suggestions