🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Concerning women

gil-estel

Reaction score
During the build-up to FoTR, all we ever heard about was the lack of "female strong characters".......

Why did the part of galadriel get a severe hacking then-she just seemed slightly potty, a little bit scary but not the most powerful elf on the planet-he didn't even mention the Ring of Adamant!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Ahhh but the two main elements in Hollywood film making are sex and violence. We get plenty of the latter from the natural course of the book, but alas, in order for the love story to develop, the status of Arwen must be increased and Liv Tyler ain't up to no rivals.

I think the whole Arwen (+) and the Galadriel (-) thing is an abomination to the spirit of the author. That same spirit that PJ holds so sacrosanct. But, except for those two horrendous changes, I thought the movie was good and well made; however, I thought the screenplay sucked. But that's just me. ;)

R

ReadWryt

I've mentioned elsewhere that I suspect that New Line Cinema hacked a lot of Galadriel out of the movie to fit the time constraint. Jackson does not have the final say in matters of the final edit of the film...

D

Dimwit

I didn't like the screenplay much either. But anyway, Cate Blanchett did a nice performance as Galadriel, even though it was only for 10 minutes. I don't think there are a lack of strong-women characters in the film. They just don't get shown much.

Arwen

Reaction score
Galadriel looked great in the movie, i thought she was very powerfull in the movie...she was very very scarey.Galadriel looks very powerful magic wise...but Arwen is more powerful strength wise...and a bit of magic too.

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
Originally posted by Arwen
Galadriel looked great in the movie, i thought she was very powerfull in the movie...she was very very scarey.Galadriel looks very powerful magic wise...but Arwen is more powerful strength wise...and a bit of magic too.

:rolleyes: Arwen, you are letting PJ's changes influence your Tolkien knowledge. Arwen cannot even compare to Galadriel. You honestly cannot make that judgement call from watching the movie. PJ's Arwen "saves the day", defying the riders on her steed, and Galadriel sits and talks to Frodo and gets a little shining and ugly at him. I guess it would look like Arwen is more powerful. Let me tell you a bit about Galadriel from other Tolkien books that I hope you will someday read, they are great!

Galadriel is over 8500 years old. Her father was Finarfin, one of the elven lords, her Grandfather was Finwe who if not was, was close to being one of the firstborn elves and who established the race of the Noldor. She went to Valinor, the Blessed Realm, the home of the Valar and was part of the rebellion with her uncle Feanor (who created the Silmarils and the Palantir). She was the most noble out of all the female elves and is the remnant of the glory days of the elves of old.

Never mind, Harad's comment about Galadriel kicking butt on Arwen. You can't even begin to set up a fight between them. Arwen, you are living proof as to why I am so against PJ's movies to someone who is not familiar with Tolkien. So many people are judging the books and their characters from what they see on the screen! Please read all the books!

Arwen

Reaction score
Geez calm down here.........and dont say things like "people like YOU" too me...and make it sound like im some sort of freak of nature or something.
DID I SAY ARWEN WOULD KICK GALADRIELS BUTT.....NO...so why is this coming up, im not the one that tunred this into a war between the characters, all i said was if they were both to go into battle, i could see Galdriel fighting with magic rather than using a sword....thats all.
But i guess my comment wont matter becuase im not part of the whole "i have read all the books 50 times" team am i.As you can see this is the movie forum and im tlaking about the characters in the MOVIE...there is a book vs movie forum in the index of this site so if all your gonna do is keep refering to things which dont even matter in this board then dont compalin to me.

Asfaloth

Reaction score
gil-estel: The Ring of Adamant wasn't mentioned but it *was* shown if you're watching for it. (Mind you, it didn't appear to be set with a white gem.) You see her wearing it in the prologue when the Three are introduced, and you see it on her finger again when the Fellowship is leaving Lorien -- Frodo looks at her where she stands on the bank with hand upraised, and you can see the ring.

Arwen

Reaction score
Originally posted by Harad
Arwen,

My goal is to inject some humor into these otherwise humorless types. I think you understood when I joked about Galadriel vs. Arwen, even if Thorin didnt. Arwen and Galadriel are on the same side last I checked.
Yeah i know...i was just making a point about the way everyone took the Galadriel vs Arwen :)

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
I completely agree with Arwen. In the movie, I would have to give a heads up to Arwen in the more athletic sense and Galadriel would win on the inner-power side.

I thought both were cast fine. I admire Liv Tyler's portrayal, just nor her character's enhanced role. I think Cate would have been even more awe inspiring had not most of the scenes from Lorien been cut. But, they had to make a choice for time, and I guess Lorien was deemed the least important.

Arwen

Reaction score
Originally posted by Grond
I completely agree with Arwen. In the movie, I would have to give a heads up to Arwen in the more athletic sense and Galadriel would win on the inner-power side.

I thought both were cast fine. I admire Liv Tyler's portrayal, just nor her character's enhanced role. I think Cate would have been even more awe inspiring had not most of the scenes from Lorien been cut. But, they had to make a choice for time, and I guess Lorien was deemed the least important.
ARE YOU SERIOUS?......oh thank god....sorry people that agree with me happens very rarley on this forum.

R

ReadWryt

Wait, did I miss something here...because Grond just said he didn't agree with Arwen's expanded role in the movie, but did like the casting and the acting of her character...Is that what Arwen the Member has been trying to say all along as well?

Greymantle

Reaction score
I think Grond was agreeing with Arwen the Member's statement on this thread that Arwen Undomiel's role in the movie was a strong one in terms of physical prowess, while Galadriel's strengths lay elsewhere.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
I will let Arwen speak for herself. I was conveying exactly what you said, ReadWryt. Love the actresses and the way they played their characters given the script they had to work with. That's it.

And, yes, Arwen.... I was agreeing with you!!

Greymantle

Reaction score
For once we agree, Harad. Grond was indeed agreeing with Grond; much as Greymantle occasionally agrees with things Greymantle said, but not with things he might not have said, if he agreed. Or not.

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
I don't know if it's scarier that Grond and Greymantle agree with what they said... or if they agree with what they didn't say! :D

Arwen

Reaction score
Originally posted by ReadWryt
Wait, did I miss something here...because Grond just said he didn't agree with Arwen's expanded role in the movie, but did like the casting and the acting of her character...Is that what Arwen the Member has been trying to say all along as well?
Yes thats what i was happy about...i knew what he was saying.

E

Elven Maiden

Galadriel and Arwen

I think that they DID cut a lot of Galadriel out of the movie to fit the time restraing because I saw pictures online with the movie shots and a lot of them I hadn't seen before of Galadriel and Lothlorien

And Arwen and Grond? I agree with you too :)

Thread suggestions