🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Courses of the Noldor (Feanor)

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
What do you think that the Noldor should have done after the death of the King Finwe. What should Feanor and Fingolfin have done? Go after Morgoth or do as the Valar say?

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by baraka
What do you think that the Noldor should have done after the death of the King Finwe. What should Feanor and Fingolfin have done? Go after Morgoth or do as the Valar say?
Who knows eh. No one but the people there could tell you what you MIGHT have done. Know one has been through that. But i would have tried to get the vala in on the war 2. With arguments like the trees can come back with the jewels, imagine all the other beings out there getting killed and corrupted and also men. If melkor finds them first they will be raised to hate us and despise us. I would try and get them to fight as well.

Last edited:

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
Re: Re: Courses of the Noldor (Feanor)

Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
But i would have tried to get the vala in on the war 2. With arguments like the trees can come back with the jewels, imagine all the other beings out there getting killed and corrupted and also men. If melkor finds them first they will be raised to hate us and despise us. I would try and get them to fight as well.
But i thought that Manwe was waiting for something. What was the thing that he was waiting?

E

Ecthelion.

I think Manwe was waiting for the coming of men, but I can't remember.

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
I think Manwe was waiting for the coming of men, but I can't remember.
Are you saying that if Men had arrived, then Manwe would have chased Morgoth in ME. Hmmm. hmmmm.:eek:

E

Ecthelion.

I think that Manwe would have directly intervened if Men were around. He probably woulda gotten rid of Morgoth if everyone was there, but he was uninformed. I also think that Eru didn't give Manwe any advice on the subject. He was probably in shock from the whole thing and didn't know really what to do.

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
Earendil

Then why did Manwe so long and only acted when Earendil begged him?:(

E

Ecthelion.

Alot can happen in 500 years. Manwe probably saw the Noldor fighting, and decided that they would have to handle it on their own. But when Earendil came, he probably immediately felt compassion for his long-lost Noldorin friends and went to rescue them.

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
Alot can happen in 500 years. Manwe probably saw the Noldor fighting, and decided that they would have to handle it on their own. But when Earendil came, he probably immediately felt compassion for his long-lost Noldorin friends and went to rescue them.
The fact that the Noldor went to ME despite the fact that they knew that they couldn´t defeat Morgoth shows to me a great deal of courage. I wonder if Melkor had killed Ingwe, if the Vanyar would have gone to avenge his death.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
baraka, your wish is my command. Here is the text of our PM.

Here's what I think would have happened if Feanor had been sane on that day when Melkor and Ungoliant killed the trees.
1) I think that had he volunteered to give the Silmarils back (even though they were stolen by Melkor, Feanor did not know this at the time), the Valar would have waged war immediately on Melkor. Finwe's death would have been avenged, the Silmarils would have been recovered and then broken and their light used to heal the Two Trees, thus bringing Valinor back into the "Light of the Trees".

2) This would have been totally adverse to the "real" story that JRRT was trying to write. All great mythologies are seeped in "tragedy". In the Silmarillion, we are overwhelmed with tragic characters.
a) Feanor
b) Hurin
c) Turin
d) Maedros
e) Fingolfin
f) Fingon
g) Finrod
h) Beren and Luthien
i) Thingol and Melian
It goes on and on. And you are absolutely right. Without Feanor, there would have been no Silmarillion. I get your point but don't agree that he was a great character. I feel he was a anti-hero and very tragic since he was motivated by our more basic emotions of anger, hatred, jealosy and fear.

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Yes that right!! I dont like Feanor either he is so proud and selfish, but regarding why Manwe waited so long to help the Noldor I think is because of the doom, you know.. Mandos told them and because of the kinslaying they deserved punishment! also Earendil's doom was to beg for the two kindreds to the Valar.
and if Feanor had done what Grond said we would not have such a beatifull story...

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
I dont like Feanor either he is so proud and selfish
Of course he is proud and selfish, wouldn´t you be if you were the mightiest of your race and a genius of unparalell creativity.:)

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Of course he is proud and selfish, wouldn´t you be if you were the mightiest of your race and a genius of unparalell creativity
I agree that he is the most skilled elf ever!!! and creative and a genius (be able to got the trees light into a jewel, that was amazing!!) but... when I said that I dont like him because of his pride is because he didnt use all his powers and skill to make any good, save the silmarils!!, I am thinking in a lot of elves that despite their powers didt became as selfish like feanor
Feanor led his kindred to a 500 year (more or less) war were many elves died, he leave his followers at the Helxcare (dont remember the name) well for all that I dont like him despite beaing an elf of unparalell creativity:rolleyes:

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
Feanor led his kindred to a 500 year (more or less) war were many elves died
At least the Noldor formed a sort of shield towards the evil´s doings of Morgoth.

leave his followers at the Helxcare
That was pretty mean.

well for all that I dont like him despite beaing an elf of unparalell creativity
Everyone has a different view or opinion of Feanor, which is why i find it fascinating.:p

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Hello baraka!!! I have been reading some thread and I have noticed that you have been discusing "the feanor issue" for a while an you are right different opinions and different point of view!!! maybe you see Feanor more like a tragic caracther, I dont see hi loke that, but.. that is ok, mmmm I am guessing that we will have a post from Grond very soon dont you? :p
Greetings

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
maybe you see Feanor more like a tragic caracther
I don´t think that tragic is the word i would use to describe Feanor. I think that he was someone who wanted to be more of what he was. He was always doing new things, exploring new places, etc. He was not your typical elf.

I think that there are elves and there is Feanor. What i truly admire about him is the passion that went into all his works and deeds. (some were hideous) He didn´t do anything lightly!:)

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
yeah he had a lot of passion!! but he directed all his passion to pride and wrath, not thinking cold, as you see in real life the people who react always in anger do not make wise decisions...

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
but he directed all his passion to pride and wrath, not thinking cold
Yes, but you have to give him the fact that he never gave up, no matter the odds.;)

Thread suggestions