What's new
The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Cubicle7's The One Ring rpg

Tanglefoot

Reaction score
Got my hands on the books for this, and it's fantastic. Firstly, it's the only professionally produced Middle Earth rpg I've seen that doesn't have rules for PC wizards, which is definitely refreshing. Also, the initial setting is a period of ME history frequently over-looked by most RPs-- the 72 or so years between the Battle of Five Armies and Gandalf's discovery of the One Ring in Hobbiton. There's a lot of adventure to be had in this period. There's equal expansion and Hope with the death of Smaug the Great and the ousting of the Necromancer, but also a growing Shadow as the Enemy begins to put into action the plans that will result in the final War of the Ring and the close of the Third Age.

Phil Lewis

Reaction score
What is the difference between this and the Adventures in Middle-Earth game put out by the same company? Confused.
I believe Adventures in Middle Earth is based on D&D 5e, whereas TOR has its own, new, rule set.

It looks like Crucible7 are going to start releasing material that can be used for both systems.

Phil Lewis

Reaction score
I suspect it’s a matter of taste.

TOR has some nice mechanisms around fellowship and “The Shadow”, that I don’t believe (I may be wrong) are in AiME.

I have the TOR rule book and some extensions, and am hoping to run a couple of games in the new year, but I’ve never seen AiME (nor indeed D&D 5e), so it’s hard for me to compare, I’m afraid.

Thread suggestions