🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

dead thread

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
is there a point where in the interests of sanity, a thread should be declared dead?

For instance finding god in the LOTR? Seems like when Leon Spinks (or leonard I can't remember) fought Cooney and Cooney wouldn't go down, but they thought he would be brain damaged so they stopped the fight. Sorta like that (ok so you had to see the fight to know what I mean).

I don't really care too much about it, just wondered.:)

btw I am kinda worried about the answers I will get for this. So just answer yes/no with a one sentence explanation, leaving out any references to the battle of the bulge or Taoism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Discussions remain open unless they stray incerdibly far from the topic or get very offensive (i.e.: people begin insults/profanity)

Brain damage has not been proven to be a side effect of short term participation at the Tolkien Forum...but who knows about long term? I've been here more than 2 years, and I haven't changed any.

*scratches his nose with one of the extra arms he mutated*

:D

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
Maybe you should go into the thread and suggest that the arguments have plateaued, new points aren't being made, and that it's time to quit. The worst thing that happens is they ignore you, right? (I think you're right by the way. That thread was a good read but lately it seems to have turned into "The Argument Sketch". )

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Yes, the thread has gotten a somewhat hostile flair of late. Nonetheless I find it very interesting for it reveals a lot about human psyche...

Hirila

2009 - life is great
Reaction score
In my opinion a thread in most cases is nothing more (and less) than a good talk.

What do we come here for? Because we want to talk about our interest in JRRT and his books. This is what we do here.

And why shan`t a talk take an end? Or does one of you talk without coming to an end? I think sometime sooner or later everything about a certain topic is said and what will come is only repetitions and silly comments. So I think threads should be watched what they are about and when they are too old they should be ended. That way someone can start a new talk about the same topic/question later without being told that "there is already a thread about this - I will look it up there". Because it is really annoying, being told that what you are told has already been told here or there or wherever.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
I've been in entirely too many fights lately, so I probably would be a good candidate for a head injury test. I think a thread should remain open as long as there are more aspects of the topic to be discussed. You know, the way it used to be around here!;)

R

ReadWryt

As I've stated elsewhere I would really love to eventually take some of the truely insightfull and well researched threads from this board and try to build a F.A.Q. or some sort of Database of discussions, because some of the best threads are ones where an answer is actually found, so people stop posting to it.

Otherwise, why would the existence of a thread that would appear to be dead actually BOTHER a member? It's not like anyone is FORCED to read anything in here...*Shrug*

Ithilethiel

Reaction score
Reading through old posts this post just struck me as a tad short-sighted. Granted, few at the time could envision the TTF still going strong 16 years later but it's still a bit presumptuous. There are yet a fair share of posts which discuss Tolkien's religiosity and it's impact on his writings still promoting interesting discussions. And if I find the post mentioned I'll resurrect it myself.

Now I am not professing that anyone here could match the genius of Tolkien, though we do have our All Stars. But to consider "dead ending" conversations that discuss topics one doesn't particularly like or agree with of a man who devoted his life to writing, editing and re-editing his work ad infinitum is antithetical to the cause.

I would argue that even those posts that are seemingly bizarre to many of us remain open. Unless ofc space becomes an issue. But even then, I wouldn't want to be the mod who makes the decision.

Thankfully, more reasoned minds prevailed back then and still bc here we are still resurrecting old posts and having some pretty amazing discussions.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with you. For a while there it was forbidden to mention religion at all on TTF. I can agree that if someone is just trying to push their personal beliefs on others without bringing any true discussion in or being someone is discussing religion to offensive (such as insulting people for having their personal beliefs, etc.) a thread should be shut down (note: this hasn't happened in a LONG time and I don't see any of our currently active members going down this path).

If the discussion is about the good professor, religion as his influences and the parallels that LOTR has with various religious traditions and myths, that's perfectly acceptable.

I also agree with you that if a post is bizarre (see Nardor), it shouldn't be removed unless it's highly offensive.

I love that we're keeping the site active, TTF has been special to me since I joined it!

Ithilethiel

Reaction score
I agree with you. For a while there it was forbidden to mention religion at all on TTF. I can agree that if someone is just trying to push their personal beliefs on others without bringing any true discussion in or being someone is discussing religion to offensive (such as insulting people for having their personal beliefs, etc.) a thread should be shut down (note: this hasn't happened in a LONG time and I don't see any of our currently active members going down this path).

If the discussion is about the good professor, religion as his influences and the parallels that LOTR has with various religious traditions and myths, that's perfectly acceptable.

I also agree with you that if a post is bizarre (see Nardor), it shouldn't be removed unless it's highly offensive.

I love that we're keeping the site active, TTF has been special to me since I joined it!
Well said EA. I have witnessed none of those issues you mentioned since becoming a member. TTF is as an oasis for me. I visit the site frequently for good comradeship, elucidating conversation and to "escape" the noise of modern life. I don't need the divisiveness of religion and politics to follow me here.

That said, TTF is an inclusive and pretty great place! Bravo to all who make it so.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
You can't post on archived threads, so I suppose they would be considered "dead".

You can still view their corpses, though. So that's nice.

Ithilethiel

Reaction score
You can't post on archived threads, so I suppose they would be considered "dead".

You can still view their corpses, though. So that's nice.
I am aware of this since as you can guess I have tried ;) but alas, I've not the proper credentials ... :(

Agree, it can be interesting peering back into time and posts past but the ratio of archived/dead posts to "live" posts is small indeed.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score

Thread suggestions