🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Debating on whether or not to buy the Sil!

StriderX

Reaction score
I have heard so many good things about the Silmarillion but I have also heard that it is a very hard read and that it is boring. I really enjoyed the LotR, and I am interested in the idea of the Sil. Can anyone help me out on this one? Is it worth picking up? Thanks!

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
How about borrowing it from the library to find out whether you like it or not?

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Good idea Bill. What a intelligent little horse! I was going to say - BUY IT! It's worth it. It's not boring, it's really not that hard to read and you'll be glad you bought yourself a nice new book. :D

Urylia

so so lonely
Reaction score
I'm in the process of reading it and i would recomend it to anyone. It's great!

StriderX

Reaction score
I just went to the bookstore and I read a little of the Sil, and to be honest it was kinda boring. Maybe thats just me. I think I will stick to the LotR. Thanks for the help though!

StriderX

Reaction score
I am probably going to sound like an idiot but I think I will pick up the Sil. I hear so many people praise the book and I cant take it any longer. I am going to go out and buy it. I'm sure I will be one of those people when I read it.

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
LOL! Yay Strider! Don't worry, you'll get there eventually, and whatever you think of it after you've read it, you'll be glad you've finally done it, believe me!

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
BUY IT!!!

I would definitely buy it StriderX. It clears a lot of questions that you have up like what the heck was Sauron and when I read it I couldn't beleive that such a good creature like Gandalf and such an evil creature like Sauron could be the same thing!!! I couldn't believe that Gandalf and Saruman were the same creature as Sauron! Tolkien is brilliant!!!:) :) :) :D :D :D

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
NOT BORING AT ALL

I have enjoyed thet Sil as much as I have enjoed LOTR, the stories in the sil are beautyfull, I love the valaquenta and the coming of eleves specially, it is so great to read when the Valar found the Firstborns!! I definetelly will recomend to read it.

StriderX

Reaction score
Well I just bought it and I have read the part about Sauron and I think it is absolutely amazing. It isnt hard to read at all. Although the first couple of chapters are a little tough. Thanks for all the help.

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that's all i have to say on the matter. :D Oh, besides this - you done good, StriderX, you done good.

:D

Anduril

Nil desperandum!
Reaction score
If you allow me to express certain point of view...

thank you guys...

Definitely The Sil is a "monumental" book, its huge and there are many many names ans many many places...
But it's a "piece de resistance" for someone who want to understand the books of Tolkien.
On this book, you will find many of the legends and images that appears in LOTR...
If you want a whole picture, you have to read it and enjoy it.
Believe me...this is a good purchase...

I've read it twice...

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Lofty place a few days walk from Amon Sul
I've not read the Sil yet, and did hear the stories about it being a hard read, but I had someone buy it for my birthday anyway.

Just got to wait another week before I can unwrap my prezzie and start! oh boy ho boy oh boy!

StriderX

Reaction score
I am at school right now and I do not have the Sil. on me. My friend wants to know which chapter tells about Sauron. I cant remember what chapter it was, so I was ondring if you could tell me? thanks!

Thread suggestions