🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Debating Tournament: Periaur - Come Support Your Guild!!

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
http://www.thetolkienforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10805

The 2003 TTF Debating Tournament is almost here!!!
The above thread is the discussion thread for the tournament, and if you wish to add something to what you think should happen in the tournament, please go make yourself heard.

Now, this thread is to come up with our squad for the tournament.
Please, please, please, please, please come support your guild and sign up!!

Also, we need one to three members to nominate themselves to host other debates in which the Periaur are not participating.

~Members of the Elite Periaur Debating Sqaud~
-Aulë
-Tookish-Girl
-Legolam
-snaga1
-Wonko the Sane
-Elbereth
-legoman
-Niniel

Last edited:

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
OK, two members is just not good enough....:(

C'mon people (aragil, DGoeij, Ramagna, menchu and the rest) , your Guild needs you!!!

And Yay! to Tookish for setting an example for the rest of you.

Last edited:

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
It won't start for at least another week, and will run for several weeks. I'll add you to the list :D

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
What is involved in this task?

I have some time for the first time in weeks and I might be able to help?

But, I'm only willing to do this if I'm able to sneer at the half-baked flimsy lines of sub-thought masquerading as argument put forth by Lost-n-Addled, or whatever they're called!;) (j/k ... sort of!)

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Well, you can either debate for the Periaur in the tournament, host a debate between other Guilds in the tournament (start up debate thread, come up with a debate topic, keep an eye on the debate, start judging thread, arrange judges, submit results to the tournament co-ordinator), or PM tit-bits of advice to the debators.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Well I'll happily be in the Periaur debating team. I have a clear mind and a sharp tongue.

I don't mind judging as well.

Let me know what's the best way I can help.

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Woah, Pip! I wasn't aware I asked to be on the team!!!!!! Taking a few liberties there I think ;). Anyway, I may as well be on the team, so you can add my name to the list legally now! :rolleyes:

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
I of course will do what I can. I have never been a strong debator...I get tired of reading multiple quotes and trying to come up with something clever and original in response.

But I will fully support the Guild of Periaur in all it's efforts. We must show the rest of the forum that we are just as intellectual as they are...even if we do have more of a life and don't have time to debate the finer details of tolkien's works. (At least that is my excuse for not debating more often ;) )

*please forgive me for the un-leader-like response in this thread...I am posting this at 4am...and it seems that all of my recent posts have been filled with sarcasm and cynicism. Sorry guys...* :(

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Do you realise that we have the best debating record out of all the Guilds?
2 wins from 2 debates; a 100% winning record!

legoman

Humourous Bombadillian #2
Reaction score
I would but I'm pants and I'm weak. The only arguements I win are the ones where I completely outwith the opponent with a silly comment.
Oh, unless its on guitars, then I can just about hold my own.

But I will stand just slightly behind you all with a coloured scarf with all of your names (its a long scarf) knitted in - I'll get my grandma right onto it...

TheFool

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I would sign up, only pretty soon I'll be in a whole other place.. entirely :eek: I'll probably post about this in the corporate ladder thread:)

But I have every faith in the Guild, I know that winning streak can be upheld!! Good luck ;)

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
OK, So this is the current squad:

-Elbereth (Team Captain)
-Legolam (Vice-Captain)
-Wonko the Sane
-Tookish-Girl
-legoman
-Aulë
-snaga1

Elbe, you'll have to make sure that we have 4 debaters for each Debate, and that the debaters post in the Debate.

We also need a volenteer to host a neutral Debate.
Snaga- I'm looking at you ;)

Last edited:

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Here is the Periaur team for the Round 1 debate against the Scholars Guild:

-Elbereth
-Wonko the Sane
-Legolam
-snaga1

I shall be hosting the OiE v Dwarves/Elves Debate.

Speak up if you want to be in the Round 2 debate :)

Thread suggestions